Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 08:39:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Technology Help Eradicate Poverty?  (Read 1067 times)
CryptoMilly

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 11:02:05 PM

Empathy can often be counter productive.

Look at wellfare.
Look at Africa.

We pour in billions and billions of voluntary donated $ into Africa to feed the people, and nothing is achieved since they aren't capable of producing their own items to make their own lives easier.

People need to take care of themselves.

Having empathy doesn't mean you're going to do something good, only that you're going to feel like you're doing something good.
Sometimes the harsh options are the best options for the people.

i believe you but the honesty truth is that the Afrian Man finds it diffiult to trust his fellow brother. especially back home in africa. it is deficult to allow him toa decision.
LeeMiinHoo

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 11:09:20 PM

The only solution that I know that will help to eradicate poverty is ourselves. Only us can help ourselves to lift our lives to live better. It is not technology, it is not donations. It should be us. We should teach ourselves to strive hard so that we no longer rely always on the government.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4606
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 11:12:18 PM

i believe you but the honesty truth is that the Afrian Man finds it diffiult to trust his fellow brother. especially back home in africa. it is deficult to allow him toa decision.

'Afrian Man' is totally correct.  With constructs like the IMF and World Bank it is almost guaranteed that those who achieve political power are puppets of the West (and now more and more of the East) installed only to help siphon resources out of the country at dirt-cheap rates.

The common people have common sense and can 'feel' what is going on even if they cannot see it with total clarity.  One has to work around the mainstream media Goliath in order to get a clear view, and that is not always easy even for people who have an interest in doing so.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Samuel4

Activity: 331
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 05:57:38 AM

Yes, technology can actually eradicate poverty. Let's not go far, using smart as a case study, a lot of people who doesn't have money to buy laptops have used their smartphones to make fortunes out of it. I know a few persons who are self sponsored in the university with online business. All these are made possible through the innovations of technology. So technology can eradicate poverty.
Tomox

Activity: 95
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 09:00:44 AM

Depending on the individual individual if they can use wisely they should get the results

■ KuBitX ■
█ Cryptocurrency Exchange & Trading Platform █
focused on:  knowledge | security | accessibility | excellence | ethics
GlumMasterpiece

Activity: 21
Merit: 18

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 11:58:24 AM

The developed world has tame poverty to a reasonable extent via the instrumentality of technology.If you watch the difference between old stone age and new stone age,you will know is technology.All the sectors starting from agricultural,financial,industrial and educational tor you will see that technology has brought a lot of calculated transformation to the extent that technology triggered high productivity meaning what 100 men could do in one month, with technology,it will be done in a day.
You're right that technology creates much more wealth. Many types of technology can increase production by 100 times or more. You say that the developed world has tamed poverty thanks to technology. How do you think that's actually happening? The problem is that a limited group of people actually benefit from the production gained from technology. Sure, there is some more tax money paid, but most of the money goes making the rich get richer.
darchelleXI

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2018, 02:43:02 PM

No. it is only our selves that can uplift our state of human being not technology
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 02:56:16 PM

The developed world has tame poverty to a reasonable extent via the instrumentality of technology.If you watch the difference between old stone age and new stone age,you will know is technology.All the sectors starting from agricultural,financial,industrial and educational tor you will see that technology has brought a lot of calculated transformation to the extent that technology triggered high productivity meaning what 100 men could do in one month, with technology,it will be done in a day.
You're right that technology creates much more wealth. Many types of technology can increase production by 100 times or more. You say that the developed world has tamed poverty thanks to technology. How do you think that's actually happening? The problem is that a limited group of people actually benefit from the production gained from technology. Sure, there is some more tax money paid, but most of the money goes making the rich get richer.

Most dictatorships eventually fall due to a reaction of the people.  A 'scientific dictatorship' (aka 'technocracy') seeks to cut off some of the avenues for failure which have vexed past dictatorships.  This through extremely fine-grained monitoring and control of every aspect of every individual's life.

Those funding the 'technocracy' which is half-way in place already are largely the very people who mastered the previous dictatorship which was based on control of debt-based money.  They plan to continue to sit right where they are at on top of the pyramid, but be able to sleep better at night knowing that a toppling is even less possible than before.

BTW, could these debt-based monetary system leaders have created peace and comfort to the impoverished masses?  I say 'yes', they probably could have.  Did they?  I say 'no'.  For the most part they created war, misery, and hopelessness in order to increase their own wealth and power.  I see no reason why they would change their tune if/when they sat atop a technocracy.  The 'illuminated' mind does not tend to see value in such things.  The 'scientists and engineers' who work on these technocracy systems will NOT be the ones making the decisions as is commonly marketed.  In fact they will be a weak link in the system due to their knowledge and capabilities and will probably be in some danger.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
GlumMasterpiece

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 04:49:01 PM

Most dictatorships eventually fall due to a reaction of the people.  A 'scientific dictatorship' (aka 'technocracy') seeks to cut off some of the avenues for failure which have vexed past dictatorships.  This through extremely fine-grained monitoring and control of every aspect of every individual's life.

Those funding the 'technocracy' which is half-way in place already are largely the very people who mastered the previous dictatorship which was based on control of debt-based money.  They plan to continue to sit right where they are at on top of the pyramid, but be able to sleep better at night knowing that a toppling is even less possible than before.

BTW, could these debt-based monetary system leaders have created peace and comfort to the impoverished masses?  I say 'yes', they probably could have.  Did they?  I say 'no'.  For the most part they created war, misery, and hopelessness in order to increase their own wealth and power.  I see no reason why they would change their tune if/when they sat atop a technocracy.  The 'illuminated' mind does not tend to see value in such things.  The 'scientists and engineers' who work on these technocracy systems will NOT be the ones making the decisions as is commonly marketed.  In fact they will be a weak link in the system due to their knowledge and capabilities and will probably be in some danger.

I understand a lot of what you're saying, but I don't see the answer my question. Sorry, if I'm just missing it. You talk about new dictatorship in the form of technocracy. You said previously that the developed world has tamed poverty thanks to technology. How is this actually happening? How is the "technocracy" sharing the wealth somehow to make poor people more wealthy? I don't find that dictators are usually overly generous.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 05:18:56 PM

I understand a lot of what you're saying, but I don't see the answer my question. Sorry, if I'm just missing it. You talk about new dictatorship in the form of technocracy. You said previously that the developed world has tamed poverty thanks to technology. How is this actually happening? How is the "technocracy" sharing the wealth somehow to make poor people more wealthy? I don't find that dictators are usually overly generous.

I think you may have gotten my comments confused with someone elses'.  I also did not really seek to answer a question of yours.  Mostly just to present my view on the realities of technology and society to contrast it with the standard marketing fluff.

Truthstreammedia did a little piece which is very eye-opening on where one of the leading technology corporations is wishing to take 'the hive'.  They are not even trying to hide things at this point.  Well worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ekkwAyNf1w

In a bee hive, the 99.99% have a 'good life' and are perfectly happy doing their thing.  It may be collecting as much pollen as they can in the three weeks they have to live.  Or it may be a suicide attack on a threat to the hive.  Or joining a mass swarm in hopes of helping a new leader to exploit another resource even if 9 times out of ten the operation will be a failure and they will all die.

The .01% sit in the middle of the hive and control the activities through 'information' (transferred chemically through pheromones in this case.)  They receive information from the hive in the same manner in order to make 'better' decisions.

Some highly intelligent people cannot help but be enchanted by the thought of the power of sitting at the center of the hive and directing it's activities.  Perhaps most such people.  Most of them will be convinced that when they get such power they will use it for good.  Unfortunately most will find that they simply built a system for someone else to control.

GlumMasterpiece

View Profile
August 02, 2018, 11:05:49 AM

I think you may have gotten my comments confused with someone elses'.  I also did not really seek to answer a question of yours.  Mostly just to present my view on the realities of technology and society to contrast it with the standard marketing fluff.

Truthstreammedia did a little piece which is very eye-opening on where one of the leading technology corporations is wishing to take 'the hive'.  They are not even trying to hide things at this point.  Well worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ekkwAyNf1w

In a bee hive, the 99.99% have a 'good life' and are perfectly happy doing their thing.  It may be collecting as much pollen as they can in the three weeks they have to live.  Or it may be a suicide attack on a threat to the hive.  Or joining a mass swarm in hopes of helping a new leader to exploit another resource even if 9 times out of ten the operation will be a failure and they will all die.

The .01% sit in the middle of the hive and control the activities through 'information' (transferred chemically through pheromones in this case.)  They receive information from the hive in the same manner in order to make 'better' decisions.

Some highly intelligent people cannot help but be enchanted by the thought of the power of sitting at the center of the hive and directing it's activities.  Perhaps most such people.  Most of them will be convinced that when they get such power they will use it for good.  Unfortunately most will find that they simply built a system for someone else to control.

You're right, sorry. You actually responded to my comment, so I assumed that you were the person that I had initially responded to. It looks like Bennix still hasn't answered me. I made a mistake. Sorry for that.

That's an interesting comparison you make with beehives. Do you really think that the "leaders" are highly intelligent? Is that what it takes?
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2018, 05:27:25 PM

That's an interesting comparison you make with beehives. Do you really think that the "leaders" are highly intelligent? Is that what it takes?

As best I can determine, the closest thing we have to 'actual leaders' at this time are heirs to dynastic fortunes, most of which are built on exploitation of the modern debt-backed monetary systems.  Some are intelligent and most are _very_ highly trained, but 'regression to the mean' takes it's toll.  Inbreeding is sometimes a factor as well such was clearly evident in the European monarchies.  These issues are more easily hidden now.

The obvious solution to the aforementioned problems is to retain promising people who are both highly intelligent AND have other psychological profile features which are useful.  Guys like Jacob Schiff, Henry Kissinger, and Zbigniew Brzezinski for instance.

Most of the 'Scientists and Engineers' working on modern projects for the 'leaders' are among the highest in terms of native intellect, but at a third wrung or below on the power structure.  Unfortunately for them, when their tasks have been accomplished they turn into a liability in the eyes of the real leaders.  In some ways they are analogous to the military leaders of times past.

GlumMasterpiece

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 11:02:07 AM

As best I can determine, the closest thing we have to 'actual leaders' at this time are heirs to dynastic fortunes, most of which are built on exploitation of the modern debt-backed monetary systems.  Some are intelligent and most are _very_ highly trained, but 'regression to the mean' takes it's toll.  Inbreeding is sometimes a factor as well such was clearly evident in the European monarchies.  These issues are more easily hidden now.

The obvious solution to the aforementioned problems is to retain promising people who are both highly intelligent AND have other psychological profile features which are useful.  Guys like Jacob Schiff, Henry Kissinger, and Zbigniew Brzezinski for instance.

Most of the 'Scientists and Engineers' working on modern projects for the 'leaders' are among the highest in terms of native intellect, but at a third wrung or below on the power structure.  Unfortunately for them, when their tasks have been accomplished they turn into a liability in the eyes of the real leaders.  In some ways they are analogous to the military leaders of times past.

Yeah, the intelligence part seemed strange to me. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong people, but sometimes seems like leaders are not all that intelligent at all. When nepotism is at play, it seems intelligence isn't a requirement at all. Even if we look at politicians, intelligence doesn't seem to be a key requirement. The most important thing is that they can talk themselves out of any situation. It's more of a show. I can see though that often the "leaders" we see are more like puppets. Maybe they have a group of intelligent people behind them.
SnoopySteve154

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 11:40:38 AM

Prosperity comes from hard work, not from technology.
SRTgroup

Activity: 9

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 02:13:54 PM

hard work and/or technology
goldSkylark

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 02:07:51 AM

I read other articles about how VR can be a tool for empathy. I believe some developers recently created experiences that allow users to understand immigration issues, or even witness events such as the Hiroshima bombing. Some say the technology helps us achieve equality. What do you think about that?

I even found a debate on whether tech is democratizing or not. There’s some interesting points raised there.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SciFiRealism/comments/93fa8h/is_tech_democratizing_everything/
Mirandan

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 03:17:42 PM

Technologies like virtual and augmented realities create experiences which can help generate empathy. Why? Because these experiences enable us humans to live in the shoes of others. Makes sense, right? This can foster understanding and compassion among leaders and policymakers, helping solve issues such as civil rights, social welfare and immigration, and therefore can be a solution to growth and equality.
What do you think?

It can if we implement such technologies properly in the world with well balance
Mirandan

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 03:25:48 PM

Prosperity comes from hard work, not from technology.

Yeah I totally agree with you but technology with hard work can do miracles to reduce poverty
IndigoRed (OP)

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 04, 2018, 01:40:22 AM

Technologies like virtual and augmented realities create experiences which can help generate empathy. Why? Because these experiences enable us humans to live in the shoes of others. Makes sense, right? This can foster understanding and compassion among leaders and policymakers, helping solve issues such as civil rights, social welfare and immigration, and therefore can be a solution to growth and equality.
What do you think?

It can if we implement such technologies properly in the world with well balance

I think so too. And there's always been a balance, I believe. Humans at the end of the day, will always have the choice when it comes to how and when to use these available technologies. But with recent developments in technology aimed at improving education, health and our financial system, I do believe it can enhance the lives of society.
ClassyDancer

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 04, 2018, 02:58:10 AM

No. it is only our selves that can uplift our state of human being not technology

But certainly technology can aid us in uplifting our lives, right? That fact you're able to post a comment here is because of technology. And this forum has proven to be very helpful in discovering new things, right?
Even indirectly, technology can aid in improving the welfare of society. For example, they say blockchain tech can help improve the voting process. This means no fraud and more people will get to vote. This can then lead to electing the right leaders who can create the best policies for society. They say digital currencies on the other hand, will eliminate corruption. So I guess in one way or another, technology can help enhance everyone's lives.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: