Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 12:20:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Forbes: "$10: One Perspective On What Bitcoin Will Be Worth In 2014"  (Read 3531 times)
the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 10:39:57 AM

Article from January, but I think it's worth sharing.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/samanthasharf/2014/01/15/10-one-perspective-on-what-bitcoin-will-be-worth-in-2014/

Under construction.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 10:44:08 AM

Hilarious. That will go down in history like Microsoft's prediction on RAM memory.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."~Bill Gates

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
Mythul

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 10:45:21 AM

Probably the author is sad he didn't buy at $10.
jballs

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 10:50:43 AM

Does it not bother you guys that 47 people own a third of the bitcoins?

Not very decentralized to me.

H A R A                [  WHITEPAPER   │   LITEPAPER  ]                H A R A  
Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
TWITTER     GITHUB          REDDIT     FACEBOOK     BITCOINTALKLINKEDIN
seldon

Activity: 353

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 11:45:48 AM

Did you meet them in person? Quite the exact number you have there
c0ldfusi0nz

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 12:09:50 PM

No, it does not. They earned them.
F-bernanke

Activity: 308

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 12:21:35 PM

LOL, even if that were true, I trust those people more then the people running the FIAT show now (rothschild).
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 12:26:18 PM

Bitcoin has greater wealth distribution than the rest of the economy. Guess it all depends on what you compare it to.

insert coin here:

Bitbuy

Activity: 308

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 12:46:29 PM

Bitcoin has greater wealth distribution than the rest of the economy. Guess it all depends on what you compare it to.

Yes, greater wealth distrubution; but you can't deny the fact that it favors the early adopters (like almost everyhting in life does, though.)
jballs

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 01:01:08 PM

Yes, greater wealth distrubution; but you can't deny the fact that it favors the early adopters (like almost everyhting in life does, though.)

Well there is early adopting and its rewards, and there is meritocracy. I don't know that being tech savvy enough to conjur up crypto currency is the same talent as controlling a financial system. Viz Mt Gox and all the prowess demonstrated there. The world can't be run like that and really the point of Bitcoin was decentralized.

I don't know, that's what sold me on Vertcoin. Only 19 people with more than 10,000 coins and top holder has 50k, and that will probably not get much more skewed than that as the price is already prohibitive and likely to get more so. They can cohabitate obviously and serve different functions but I would rather have a truly decentralized option on the table.

meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 01:03:59 PM

Well there is early adopting and its rewards, and there is meritocracy. I don't know that being tech savvy enough to conjur up crypto currency is the same talent as controlling a financial system. Viz Mt Gox and all the prowess demonstrated there. The world can't be run like that and really the point of Bitcoin was decentralized.

I don't know, that's what sold me on Vertcoin. Only 19 people with more than 10,000 coins and top holder has 50k, and that will probably not get much more skewed than that as the price is already prohibitive and likely to get more so. They can cohabitate obviously and serve different functions but I would rather have a truly decentralized option on the table.

Lolwot. How can you be so certain about the distribution of Vertcoins
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 01:10:07 PM

Bitcoin would never have gotten off the ground without hefty early adopter reward.

At least they can't print.

I don't see a problem.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
jballs

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 01:17:54 PM

This

http://graph.vertcoin.org/balance_count.json

Updates every 2 hours. Granted there may be multiple wallet holders but its not much more than that as they have only existed for less than a month and no premine, and no couple years when a couple dozen guys were the only ones who knew it existed. You can see it is fairly concentrated in VTC same as bitcoin except there are only about 1. 5 million of 84 million so those percentages will drop to nil in a few months, the way bitcoin would have been had it been properly distributed from the get go.

I love bitcoin, I am really glad they have a toehold on mainstream breakthrough. But I do worry they will get choked by the powers that be and the best deterrent for that is good forks and truly distributed alternatives. If nothing else to make the point that they aren't going to kill it. Russia et al will have to come around because we are going this way with or without them and that is all there is to it.

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 01:28:14 PM

Early adopters who HELD. Lazlo traded his early adopter advantage for a couple of pizzas. BTW, we're all early adopters.

insert coin here:

jballs

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 01:38:49 PM
Last edit: February 09, 2014, 01:49:39 PM by jballs

This

Updates every 2 hours. Granted there may be multiple wallet holders but its not much more than that as they have only existed for less than a month and no premine, and no couple years when a couple dozen guys were the only ones who knew it existed. You can see it is fairly concentrated in VTC same as bitcoin except there are only about 1. 5 million of 84 million so those percentages will drop to nil in a few months, the way bitcoin would have been had it been properly distributed from the get go.

I love bitcoin, I am really glad they have a toehold on mainstream breakthrough. But I do worry they will get choked by the powers that be and the best deterrent for that is good forks and truly distributed alternatives. If nothing else to make the point that they aren't going to kill it. Russia et al will have to come around because we are going this way with or without them and that is all there is to it.

You missed the super-early adotpion of bitcoin and you are now one of the first with Vertcoin. What makes you think that there aren't people in 3 years who think that Vertcoin is highly centralised and make their own truly distributed coin? It just doesn't work like that. Even though it is "not fairly distributed", nobody controls the currency and nobody can create more out of thin air. That is huge step in the right direction!

There may be. For now it is decentralized by nature of the algorithm. No premine, no asics can mine it so no centralized mining either. That may change but for the first few million coins even distribution is pretty much assured. So its a natural evolution of bitcoin. And hell yes btc is the right direction. I know we need it to be the backbone of the new system and if it survives this sh*tstorm I think we are good to go. As for vertcoin not as early as  i wish, but hopefully still early enough. I think it can make a run at litecoin pricewise. Got half way there two weeks out of the gate so that is encouraging.  

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 01:55:56 PM

This

You missed the super-early adotpion of bitcoin and you are now one of the first with Vertcoin. What makes you think that there aren't people in 3 years who think that Vertcoin is highly centralised and make their own truly distributed coin? It just doesn't work like that. Even though it is "not fairly distributed", nobody controls the currency and nobody can create more out of thin air. That is huge step in the right direction!

There may be. For now it is decentralized by nature of the algorithm. No premine, no asics can mine it so no centralized mining either. That may change but for the first few million coins even distribution is pretty much assured. So its a natural evolution of bitcoin. And hell yes btc is the right direction. I know we need it to be the backbone of the new system and if it survives this sh*tstorm I think we are good to go. As for vertcoin not as early as  i wish, but hopefully still early enough. I think it can make a run at litecoin pricewise. Got half way there two weeks out of the gate so that is encouraging.  

Your pump and dump alt coin is off topic. I'm sure you don't give a shit if you're being rude, but this scam has got to be reaching diminishing returns by now.

insert coin here:

jballs

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 02:14:28 PM

This

Your pump and dump alt coin is off topic. I'm sure you don't give a shit if you're being rude, but this scam has got to be reaching diminishing returns by now.

Well, no you're right I don't. But the article is about the centralized nature of bitcoin and how it is all based on the Greater Fool Theory (that might be you) of the 47 guys who own a third of it. I'm not really interested in pump and dumps, I sorted through a few hundred piled of trash and found one that actually has the merits bitcoin was supposed to have, that addresses the weaknesses that are legitimately pointed out the article. I'm a huge bitcoin supporter but it is not perfect. My main concern is governments squelch it (see Russia again) and destroy its value. I see altcoins (good ones) as vital to preventing that, in the same way I would have opposed AOL owning the whole internet.

Didn't mean to step on your religion. I will let the mods decide if it's off topic. Later...

MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:05:12 AM

No, it does not. They earned them.

So did all the powerful banking families earn their power, wealth, and influence.

That stuff doesn't grow on trees you know. Takes a certain level of guile, intelligence, determination, fearlessness in the face of vast risktaking over several generations at that.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:17:58 AM

This

So in other words you're not certain about the distribution of Vertcoin. Stop spreading untruths as fact. Thanks.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 05:08:59 AM

Let me play Devil's Advocate on this one a little:

If its true that 90% of Bitcoins are hoarded .... wouldn't it stand to reason that if that 90% were suddenly dumped into bitcoin commerce, the availability would go up by 90% and therefore the price must go down by 90% ?  Supply and Demand.

Tell me why that's wrong?

I suppose more importantly, it could be totally right, but nothings says its going to play out that way.  And the chances of it doing so are probably microscopic.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: