Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:29:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to create a PULL request  (Read 90811 times)
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2011, 05:29:21 PM
Last edit: March 17, 2011, 05:55:21 PM by gavinandresen
Merited by ABCbits (2)

The bitcoin integration/testing source tree is at GitHub, and we (jgarzik/tcatm/gavinandresen right now) use GitHub's "pull request" feature to keep track of patches that people think are ready for integration into mainline bitcoin.  This post is a walk-through of how to create a pull request.

1. You'll need a GitHub account; sign up for free, and set up git and ssh to work with GitHub.

2. You need a fork of the main bitcoin source tree.  Login to your GitHub account, browse to the bitcoin project, then poke the little 'Fork' button near the top of the screen.

3. Connect that fork at GitHub with source code on your development machine.  The easiest way to do that is to clone your github fork, using the SSH Read+Write URL github shows you on your fork's page.  For example:
Code:
git clone git@github.com:your_github_name/bitcoin-git.git
cd bitcoin-git
git checkout -b niftynewfeature # Create a feature branch
 ... edit, test, re-edit, re-test...
git commit -a
git push git@github.com:your_github_name/bitcoin.git niftynewfeature:niftynewfeature
You might already have a clone of the bitcoin git tree that you've modified; you should push those changes into your new GitHub fork.  Assuming you made your changes in the 'master' branch on your machine (next time you should create a specific feature branch), the command would be:
Code:
git commit -a
git rebase -i remotes/origin/HEAD  # optional: lets you tidy up commits to create a clean patch
git push git@github.com:your_github_name/bitcoin.git master:niftynewfeature

4. Submit a PULL request by going to your fork's GitHub page, selecting the branch containing the changes you want pulled ("niftynewfeature" in the above example), and then poking the "Pull Request" button.  Enter a good description of what your changes do and why they're a good idea and how everybody and their brother is already using them to make the world a better place .

Eventually, if all goes well, after discussion and argument and nit-picking and revision, your changes will get pulled into the bitcoin repository.  If all doesn't go well, you (or the core developers) can close your pull request and resubmit it when the feature is perfect.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zulu

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 03:16:09 AM

I think it's possible to do something along the line of:

Code:
git remote add bitcoin git@github.com:username/bitcoin-git.git

Then you'll only need to do:

Code:
git push bitcoin branch_name
git pull bitcoin branch_name

You can also add a commit message by using the -m flag:

Code:
git commit -a -m "Check out my awesome bugfix"

This way you won't end up in Vim (and freak out). This is more usefull for shorter commit messages though.
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 02:31:23 PM

Code:
git commit -a -m "Check out my awesome bugfix"

This way you won't end up in Vim (and freak out). This is more usefull for shorter commit messages though.
...or you could just tell git what editor you'd prefer!

This space intentionally left blank.
khal

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2011, 07:28:46 PM

Me too. Thanks Gavin.
muc

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 02:21:47 PM

For those of us that are ignorant, can somebody tell me what a PULL request in layman's terms is? And what is it used for?
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 04:19:39 PM

For those of us that are ignorant, can somebody tell me what a PULL request in layman's terms is? And what is it used for?

Since the project is open source, anyone can change the files.  However, this creates a "fork", their version of the software is different from everyone else's.  This means that they need to incorporate any future changes into their fork.

A pull request allows them to submit the change back to the main project.  If it is accepted, the changes become part of the official version of the software. 

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
ampkZjWDQcqT

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

GNU is not UNIX

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 02:46:09 AM

It can be properly understood when you know what a Distributed Version Control System is. Start with http://progit.org/book/.

If you found my comment useful please express your gratitude by doing an action of similar magnitude towards a better society. Thanks you!.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2011, 06:31:29 AM
Last edit: September 21, 2011, 06:42:16 AM by casascius
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Can anyone help me figure out how to do the following?

1. Get the latest version at bitcoin/bitcoin
2. Apply just sipa's pull request called "Wallet Import and Export" to my own copy so I can compile it in.

Thanks

EDIT: Asking a question seems to guarantee I will find the answer right after I ask.  My end result was to git clone bitcoin/bitcoin, and then download https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/220.diff, then git apply, then compile.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 03:50:13 PM
Last edit: December 05, 2011, 04:24:31 PM by finway

I've made a new locale file "bitcoin_zh_CN.ts",How can i upload it to my github fork and make a pull request?

I've made my fork of bitcoin on github.com, I've installed Git, and cloned my fork.
I ran
git push origin master
It shows:  
everything up-to-date
and nothing changed to my fork on github.com

but i've copy "bitcoin_zh_CN.ts" to the directory "bitcoin/src/qt/locale",
clearly

What should i do? (http://github.com/finway-china/bitcoin)

EDIT:
Yeah, done my first pull request Smiley

git add bitcoin_zh_CN.ts
git commit
EDIT
git push origin master

kurtosis

Activity: 17

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 12:42:28 AM

or optionally (for posterity of a stickied thread):

Code:
git add -A
git commit -m 'added awesome new feature'
git push -u origin master

Explanations for -A and -u.  Generally only use -A if all the modifications to be committed are a single bundle of functionality, describable by the same commit message.
Andreas Schildbach

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 08:46:26 AM

after discussion and argument and nit-picking and revision

What happens if I already submitted the pull request and then commit a fix to my patch, so there are now 2 commits in that pull request. Am I supposed to squash the commits into one? Do I need to re-submit my pull request afterwards?
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 02:22:05 PM

after discussion and argument and nit-picking and revision

What happens if I already submitted the pull request and then commit a fix to my patch, so there are now 2 commits in that pull request. Am I supposed to squash the commits into one? Do I need to re-submit my pull request afterwards?

You do not have to resubmit the pull request.  Squash the commits into one, and then "git push --force" to "rebase" the branch.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
robamichael

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 03:24:13 AM

Since the project is open source, anyone can change the files.  However, this creates a "fork", their version of the software is different from everyone else's.  This means that they need to incorporate any future changes into their fork.

A pull request allows them to submit the change back to the main project.  If it is accepted, the changes become part of the official version of the software. 

Is the decision for acceptance determined by a developer?

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 04:28:44 AM

Whether or not your pulls get accepted depends on a rough consensus of the devs.  Some of them have a bit more pull than the others, but there isn't like a formal voting process.

If you are submitting pulls, you'll get emails from github when people comment on it.  Pay attention to those, the people making them are giving advice earned through hard experience.  Address their concerns when you can, and be prepared to defend your choices.

Also start hanging out in #bitcoin-dev on IRC.  It can be very helpful to start conversations about your pull, particularly with the people that have commented on it.  Be polite, and keep in mind that they can be busy, even if you can't see it.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
robamichael

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 04:22:15 AM

Whether or not your pulls get accepted depends on a rough consensus of the devs.  Some of them have a bit more pull than the others, but there isn't like a formal voting process.

If you are submitting pulls, you'll get emails from github when people comment on it.  Pay attention to those, the people making them are giving advice earned through hard experience.  Address their concerns when you can, and be prepared to defend your choices.

Also start hanging out in #bitcoin-dev on IRC.  It can be very helpful to start conversations about your pull, particularly with the people that have commented on it.  Be polite, and keep in mind that they can be busy, even if you can't see it.

Thank you for your advice. I definitely will be checking out the IRC channel.

Is it fair to say then, that Bitcoin is not completely decentralized? I am only asking to better my understanding, but it seems there is some amount, even if minor, of centralization.

Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 09:39:54 PM

Is it fair to say then, that Bitcoin is not completely decentralized? I am only asking to better my understanding, but it seems there is some amount, even if minor, of centralization.

The only completely and utterly decentralized bitcoin-like system I can think of would have every person using it write and run their own code.

On computers that they built themselves.

Communicating over a wireless mesh network where each node in the mesh was controlled by a single person who wrote all the code and built all the hardware....

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
robamichael

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2013, 11:40:39 PM

Right - maybe the word "completely" was stronger than what I needed.

The mechanics of bitcoin differ from something like gold, because gold was created by nature, and bitcoin is managed by people. And anything managed by people is centralized to some extent.

I will do some reading and try to understand the PULL process.

oleganza

Activity: 200
Merit: 104

Software design and user experience.

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2013, 07:36:29 PM

To me, Bitcoin is valuable not because of how much it is "decentralized" and "democratic", but simply because it allows choice including option to exit the club at any time. I have a choice to build my own software, I have choice to suggest an improvement to others, I have choice to mine coins myself, or buy them, or stash them away and sell any time in the future. Of course, my freedom of choice is limited by my resources and your willingness to cooperate with me. But that's voluntary. Neither you, nor me can impose our will on each other. So I can use bitcoins with peace of mind knowing that they are built on top of voluntary interactions instead of enslavement. If I get rich or poor, it will be only because of my voluntary choices, so there will be no one to blame but myself.

Bitcoin analytics: blog.oleganza.com / 1TipsuQ7CSqfQsjA9KU5jarSB1AnrVLLo
rbgrish

Activity: 27

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 03:59:23 AM

Well Said oleganza!
GambitBTC

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 10:26:02 PM