Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:57:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin-qt return  (Read 577 times)
underhood (OP)

Activity: 124
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 09:17:12 PM
Last edit: February 10, 2017, 09:40:32 AM by underhood

Hi,

Thanks for help

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4613

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 09:22:48 PM

Change:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Change
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 09:24:32 PM

Hi,

https://blockchain.info/tx/8a0037b609a0ddf1fa8ee4205d0a51b78bc22d44af33364585c3296f379c8825

please look at this unconfirmed transaction (0 fee)

i remember sending 0.25BTC to 14bX9vE2zJVR62zi9WCdS4zJkDhHeBdasm
Fee is displayed as 0 BTC

what is the other output (1Bm6LhQZbcFhtbtTQ8KQbwz9K42FYvSg81 0.0155 BTC)?

Thanks for help

well so :

this is your wallet (address Tongue ), yes? 1N8HNfHf9YaX9RKAVT5HSzcz4DqeyeCPjw

and you sent from bitcoin-qt client to (another address Tongue)14bX9vE2zJVR62zi9WCdS4zJkDhHeBdasm 0.25BTC?

so if you dont know nothing about sending anything to 1Bm6LhQZbcFhtbtTQ8KQbwz9K42FYvSg81

you might have some problem Smiley

but i guess it is only a "change"
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 09:28:54 PM

this is your wallet, yes? 1N8HNfHf9YaX9RKAVT5HSzcz4DqeyeCPjw

No.

That is not a wallet.  That is a bitcoin address.

A wallet is a collection of one or more bitcoin addresses and the private keys necessary to identify all the value under the control of that wallet.

and you sent from bitcoin-qt to 14bX9vE2zJVR62zi9WCdS4zJkDhHeBdasm 0.25BTC?

so if you dont know nothing about sending anything to 1Bm6LhQZbcFhtbtTQ8KQbwz9K42FYvSg81

you might have some problem Smiley

Or perhaps 1Bm6LhQZbcFhtbtTQ8KQbwz9K42FYvSg81 is just another bitcoin address under the control of the wallet.  Perhaps the wallet created that address specifically for the purpose of returning the change from the transaction back to the wallet, and therefore the user has no knowledge of the address, but the wallet does.

Question for the OP...

Does your wallet have the correct balance?
underhood (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 09:43:04 PM

Hmmm,

i knew inputs need to be spent entirely... meaning rest of balance (inputs-amount desired to be sent) must be returned to your wallet. What surprised me that it is not returned to the same wallet which it was sent from and more so that this "return the difference" address is not visible in Receive addresses in bitcoin-qt client. This behaviour is described here:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Change
The wallet file contains the private keys for change addresses, and they can receive and send coins normally. However, the GUI in the default client does not display them in the address book.

Anybody has some insight why is it so? Why just not return change to senders address or at least to address visible in receiving addresses book?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 09:56:02 PM

What surprised me that it is not returned to the same wallet which it was sent from

It IS returned to the same wallet which it was sent from.

It is not returned to an address that is visible in the "Receive" section of that wallet (since it wasn't "received" from anyone, it was simply kept under the control of the wallet.

and more so that this "return the difference" wallet (or address) is not visible in Receive addresses in bitcoin-qt client.

For the average user that just wants to be able to use a program to send and receive bitcoins, it would be confusing to have unknown addresses popping up in their "receive" section that they never chose to create.

Why just not return change to senders address or at least to address visible in receiving addresses book?

There is no such concept as a "senders address" in the bitcoin protocol.

Since it is a bitcoin "best practice" to use a new bitcoin address for every transaction (to increase anonymity and security), it would be a bad idea to send the change to an address in the "receive" section (since those addresses are created by the user for specific purposes, and are either already used or will soon be used).

Imagine, I sell a product to someone in exchange for 0.5 bitcoins.  I provide a brand new bitcoin address to the buyer so I will know when they have paid. The buyer decides not to make the purchase after all and never sends payment. Then I create a transaction paying someone else for something, and 0.5 bitcoins of "change" are sent to the address that I previously provided to the buyer. Now I see a payment received of 0.5 BTC at the address provided to the buyer.  I can only assume that he has just made payment.  I send out the product, and he receives it for free.  I prefer it the way it works now.  It isn't complicated unless you are trying to understand the technical details of transactions. In that case, it isn't complicated once you understand the technical details of transactions.
underhood (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 10:08:43 PM

It IS returned to the same wallet which it was sent from.

There is no such concept as a "senders address" in the bitcoin protocol.

That was just poor choice of words/terms. I do understand there is not senders address and it is returned to the same wallet. What I was asking and you explained to me (thank you for that BTW) was why the rest is sent to normally not visible receiving address but is clear now.

Thank you for clarification
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:41:54 AM

I can see a lot of people misuse the word "wallet" for bitcoin address, and there are dozens of bitcoin websites (mainly faucets or sites for giveaway) out there asking people to "enter your wallet", which makes no sense at all.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: