Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 01:36:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox - if insolvent, better to hold cash or BTC?  (Read 2455 times)
astr0train (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 12:58:11 AM

Has anyone considered from a legal perspective if MtGox is insolvent whether or not it makes sense to have:

a) More fiat in your trading account?

b) More Bitcoin in your trading account?

I feel like, given the legal status of fiat as currency globally, in the event of liquidation there may be some claim by investors holding fiat?

However, given the unclear legal status of crypto, maybe you rank lower in the totem-pole in the event of lqiuidation? I mean, if it has no legal status then technically do you even have a claim against MtGox as a defunct company?

infoman

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:00:56 AM

good question, I keep my money in fiat for the time being,
if btc goes down I buy, somehow I still hope that btc transfers will go ahead in the future

call me optimistic.
astr0train (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:53:13 AM

You are optimistic. Smiley
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:13:23 AM

I would say BTC, because even if they dont have any liquid cash, you should in theory still be able to withdraw your BTC, since that doesnt require any money or banking partner for withdraw
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:34:34 AM

I would say BTC, because even if they dont have any liquid cash, you should in theory still be able to withdraw your BTC, since that doesnt require any money or banking partner for withdraw

Only if mtgox has enough btc to cover everyone's withdrawal, especially many people may cancel their USD withdrawal, buy bitcoin and withdraw their all their bitcoin from mtgox.
Barek

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:40:08 AM

Only if mtgox has enough btc to cover everyone's withdrawal, especially many people may cancel their USD withdrawal, buy bitcoin and withdraw their all their bitcoin from mtgox.

You do realize that for every Bitcoin bought one is sold, right?

MtGox does not buy or sell. They match buyers with sellers.
Sonny

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:46:14 AM

Theoretically yes..but who know if mtgox really hasn't touched the bitcoin.......
cwfabc

Activity: 141

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:52:50 AM

I buy back 50% btc @this price
low than chinese platforms is ok
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:53:03 AM

Theoretically yes..but who know if mtgox really hasn't touched the bitcoin.......

Although they also likely skimed based on transaction and buy/sell fees. I wouldn't be surprised if they have some sort of calculation akin to M0 and M1 money supplies and based on that they "play/use" the difference (kinda like a derivatives transactor to provide further insurance value, but instead of using it for stability purposes, they gambled with it).
infoman

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 04:11:37 AM

One had better do it sooner rather than later in that case.

yeah, but btc withdrawal is suspended, and when it was not suspended, it was not going through either.

Barek

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 04:36:13 AM

yeah, but btc withdrawal is suspended, and when it was not suspended, it was not going through either.

Exacly, BTC withdrawals weren't working (well) for weeks. They finally acknowledge this and say they are going to fix it and what do people do? They freak out, instead of being happy that it is finally being looked at.
infoman

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 04:42:59 AM

Exacly, BTC withdrawals weren't working (well) for weeks. They finally acknowledge this and say they are going to fix it and what do people do? They freak out, instead of being happy that it is finally being looked at.

its all good, I am happy that they are fixing it, it is just soo easy at this point to rather syphon off the btcs and do a runner, we are talking about $M-s here, and gox's reputation is pretty tarnished by now. Is it worth fixing? I hope so, I have quite a few $1000s sitting there, would I keep the funds there when I have a chance to move out? not that sure about that!
Barek

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 04:53:41 AM

its all good, I am happy that they are fixing it, it is just soo easy at this point to rather syphon off the btcs and do a runner, we are talking about $M-s here, and gox's reputation is pretty tarnished by now. Is it worth fixing? I hope so, I have quite a few $1000s sitting there, would I keep the funds there when I have a chance to move out? not that sure about that!

Oh, by all means, take advantage of the frenzy. This recent development must be a wet dream for anyone that does arbitrage.
medicine

Activity: 697
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 04:58:16 AM

3pm in Japan now and no word yet.  Either they are waiting until the end of the workday to announce something, or as many people have said, they problem is much worse than their last notice let on.

Is their website the first spot they will post a new notice or do they post quicker to Facebook and Twitter?
Barek

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 05:00:40 AM

3pm in Japan now and no word yet.  Either they are waiting until the end of the workday to announce something, or as many people have said, they problem is much worse than their last notice let on.

Is their website the first spot they will post a new notice or do they post quicker to Facebook and Twitter?

A more precise time for the update sure would have been nice.

There is https://twitter.com/mtgoxalerts, but all it seems to do is point to the posts on https://www.mtgox.com/news.
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 05:46:21 AM

Particularly after reading that 2010 Mtgox thread that shows that Gox didn't even hash user passwords and could have accessed the cash and coins without problems.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 05:56:58 AM

fiat
Cubic Earth
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:01:08 AM

BTC is my vote.

Seems judging from the price, the overall sentiment is split.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:44:49 AM

One had better do it sooner rather than later in that case.

Yes, but i strongly feel that your chances of withdrawing btc are better than withdrawing USD
astr0train (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:10:54 AM

This thread isn't about chances of withdrawing what.

It is about the company becoming insolvent, with no login page just a notice "administrators/liquidators appointed".

At that point - better to be a creditor with BTC or fiat?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: