Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:46:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for support... Not money... Unique chip design.  (Read 545 times)
ISAWHIM (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 04:06:55 AM
Last edit: February 10, 2014, 04:23:55 AM by ISAWHIM

Using the chip itself (package), to broadcast/receive the data as light. Using open-air, not fiber-optics. (Since this would not be broadcasting feet and miles, just inches.)

This, being a open-source project.

I have thought about this for years, yet I have never found a good reason to "realize" the idea, until now.

For the record, I do not design chips beyond software, however, my ability is personally irrelevant to this concept.

This is my thoughts/observations...
1: Many chips now have few external "supporting hardware dependencies". (Unlike the past, where capacitors, resistors, RF-filters, and various other "physical components" were needed.)
2: The chips/dies are getting smaller, but packages are not. (This due in part to the large number of communication wires and thermal-dissipation surface needed for many designs.)
3: Smaller dies in larger packages, adds slight delays over traditional "wires/traces", which can cause various timing issues or signal-losses, as well as collecting RF-noise and undesired capacitance. (Since a wire along plastic/glass/insulation is essentially a capacitor.)
4: Mounting chips limits heat dissipation, with one side constantly resting on an insulation glass PCB surface, and sitting on traces contained within the insulation PCB layers.

My original idea (not original itself, just saying it was my first thought), was to simply use a LED source, attached to a chip's edge. The connection being the data-lines themselves. (This was on a tiny Atmel-Atmega chip.) Though it worked great, the idea sat dormant for years again.

What I am thinking now, is that the LED component, or LASER-LED, could be built right inside of the chip. This would not "demand", "Fiber-optics", though isolated fiber-optic lines would create better isolation.

With the ability to easily isolate and create specific light frequencies with the new LEDs, and sensors, I think it is time for this idea to be explored again.

In the advent of bitcoins, for ASIC mining, I think this concept "realized", would seriously help advance bitcoin mining, and have a mutual relationship with the rest of the advancements in technology, as a whole. It is about time we gave chips an upgrade. Going smaller is not much of an advancement.

The reason it would really help mining, would be the following...
1: You would only need two terminals for the chip. Positive and negative, for power.
2: You would need few micro-connections to the die. Only the two power, and two for the emitter/detector.
3: There would be almost no RF noise from the data, as it is not broadcast over wires.
4: There would be a great chance to split dies into smaller pieces, using internal optics, to assist in a wider thermal-footprint.
5: The chip could have thermal dissipation on both sides of the chip, with a direct internal "ground" leaf.
6: The heat-sink itself, could be the dies RF-shielding, and also the light-channel guide.
7: You have greater freedom of where the individual components of any "unit", as a whole, could be positioned. (As opposed to being limited to the PCB itself.)
8: More distantly, using RF-power, you could eliminate all external wire-connections entirely. (Using that empty space in the chip itself as the location of the wire-coil that capture RF-noise for power.)
9: The light itself can be the "timing", and the "data I/O", and even power, on smaller levels. (Solar.)

You could instantly feed every chip, all at the same time, the new data to be processed. You would not have to individually communicate or regulate communications. Same for the "results", which only one chip will broadcast, and each other chip can instantly prepare for new data, before being told. (Since they can openly see the others results. Unless they are all isolated with fiber-optic lines.)

So... any thoughts... questions?

Which individual chip "now", has the least demand for external supporting hardware. The block-erupter chips seems to have few external physical components required. Even if the external connections are limited, this still has a "first-step" use. (Stripping all the data-lines is the major thing. Heck, PCIe would be the size of one LED, if you removed the data-lines and redundant power-lines. See where I am headed with this now...)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ISAWHIM (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 04:30:37 AM
Last edit: February 10, 2014, 04:42:43 AM by ISAWHIM

Design-wise... This should conserve some power-use, normally used to "communicate", over copper-wire. Generation of light uses less power than feeding 16-256 lines of power for sending data to a chip just inches away, or feet... Not to mention the bandwidth of light would easily replace thousands of physical wire data-line connections. (But that is old-news... we all know what optic-power is able to do. We just don't do much with it, where it is needed.)

Also, some SMT components could also fit directly within the die-package, where chips might require some external components still. Essentially moving everything from outside the package, to inside the package. Further reducing line-resistance and external connections. (Where external connections, other than data, are still needed.)

Not sure what other things can be removed/relocated into the heat-sink sandwich.

Another neat "step-forward", if not just the optics in the package, is placing super-thin PCB's and edge-mounted SMT components within the package. (Still keeping this a completely isolated device, like a USB-miner, but with even less wires and no need for a usb power/communication-hub.)

Could be applied to RAM, CPU, PCIe... Imagine all your components just sitting near one another, floating... no contact... no PCB's anymore... No funky connections... 100% waterproof... Just two wires, or none... Want another CPU, just throw one in, and it starts talking! (Ok, that is more down the road... Custom stacked individual components that just need to be near one another.) lol

Has to start somewhere.. Why not in the heart of BTC forums! BTC's second biggest contribution to the advancement of the world.
ISAWHIM (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:13:46 AM

Working on some 3D renderings, (nothing fancy), just to give a better visualization. However, I have to move to another computer, which is not setup for my 3D programs yet. This computer is too bogged-down processing other things. (Not to mention, it has one of those horrible ball-mice things. Tongue)

Going to use my wacom-tablet and a normal three-button mouse, should be quick to turn my technical drawings into 3D with sketchup, before I play with them more in AutodeskCAD. (Has been a while since I used that program. Sketchup is faster and easier to rough-out ideas.)

This doesn't use any alien technology, by the way. All this crap exists, just not all crunched into one tiny package, yet...

Hell, your shoes talk to your I-pod, your phones can be charged and communicate without wires, and stacking more than dies inside of a chip is nothing new. As for fiber-optics... Our remotes have been using open-air optics for communication for years. (Though the designs are crappy still.)

Ok, going back to my corner...
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:23:28 AM

I don't have any input or comments at this time, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm curiously watching.
ISAWHIM (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:31:08 AM

I don't have any input or comments at this time, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm curiously watching.

Thank-you... That is support!

But my eyes are beginning to cross... Need sleep. Fresh start in the morning.

I would actually like some input from the guys who are building all the custom hardware itself. They know all the specs for the chips that I don't have access to. I only know what I work with at the moment, which is PIC-micro, Atmel-Atmega, and some other old and odd chips.

Like I said, I know this stuff all works... it is just a matter of physical design, supporting (chips), and production. (I think the 3D renderings will have a better offering than my words. You can see the actual physical layout and components mentioned above. I will be using a sample-die, and just stripping-off the data-lines, for the example. However, Atmel-Atmega chips don't really get hot, nor are they fast enough to actually gain from light-communication speeds. That is like adding nitro and a blower/turbo to a 25cc moped!)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: