Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:31:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGOX hits $570 "A bug in the bitcoin software makes it possible for someone to"  (Read 3418 times)
phlogistonq

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:28:46 PM

no one knows how much was stolen. It's quite difficult to noticed 10BTC missing out of hundreds of thousands. You could easily write that off as a mistake. That could be extra transaction fees that accumulated.

How is that difficult? This can be done automatically on a continuous basis. <b>NO</b> discrepancy should be tolerated. Not a single satoshi. There cannot be any "mistakes" if the code is flawless. Anything different, even 1 satoshi is a huge red flag and reason to persist to work on it until you find and fix the bug before it grows above your head.
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:38:06 PM

Any bitcoin-QT since 2012 idiot.

Nope wrong. There are none. If you can find one thats available right now I'll pay you 1BTC. I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

Oficiall bitcoin-QT will correctly identify spent coins even if tx id is modified by third party.
You can download from here: https://bitcoin.org/en/download
You can send 1 BTC to 1ZePhramiDqjYJzqiyUFaY5qhz5k4unRC
 Smiley
ZephramC

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:43:30 PM

Nope wrong. There are none. If you can find one thats available right now I'll pay you 1BTC. I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

Oficiall bitcoin-QT will correctly identify spent coins even if tx id is modified by third party.
 Smiley

If you want some background of my claim: http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/2014/02/10/mt-gox-blames-bitcoin-core-developer-greg-maxwell-responds/

Not that Bitcoin-QT handles Malleability fantastically – but because it tracks inputs it will still detect the mutant transactions. An interesting point which I haven’t pointed out elsewhere is that for the question of basic funds safety in re-issuing a transaction malleablity is basically irrelevant.
Say you pay someone and it doesn’t go through (or it does and you don’t see it because its been mutated and your software can’t detect that), and they ask you to reissue…. if you reissue without double-spending any of the original inputs you are at risk of getting robbed. This is true with or without malleability. Without the double-spend of at least one input the original transaction could just go through in addition to your reissue.

Say that you do make sure to double spend at least one input – then the result is funds safe safe, regardless of if a mutation happened.

Say you want to support _canceling_ a payment (send me the goat instead!) rather than reissue you still must double-spend the attempted payment to cancel it, since it still might go through if you don’t. And the double spend works to protect this case regardless of if the transaction was mutated.

For support and accounting purposes you absolutely do need tools to identify mutated transactions, so long as mutation exists… so we ought to provide some better tools there. But I can’t think a case where mutation handling is necessary or sufficient for cancellation security, but – rather – input tracking appears to be both necessary and sufficient in all cancellation cases.

This helps explain why Bitcoin-QT – whose mutation handling kinda stinks – doesn’t ever end up in a really bad situation with mutants: it tracks inputs pretty well.
btcmad1337

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:50:36 PM

Smiley

LOL! It's vulnerable. I can change the transaction ID in the block still and if you are using the transaction ID to track the payment it'll appear gone to you. Your client will notice the new tx as it gets broadcasted to it but it won't "know" that its actually the other tx.

Of course the client does not "lose" the BTC, no client that I know of does that when the txid is changed in transit.
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:54:00 PM

IMO MtGox should clarify how many bitcoins were stolen (scammed may be a better word) from them using this vulnerability that they didn't patch against.
They probably still have about a hundred thousands of coins in reserve, so they can cover the theft, but it would be good to know the magnitude of the problem.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:55:26 PM

Obviously this press release begs the question "how many BTC did Gox lose?"  And in my opinion, if Gox was solvent they would have said something reassuring in that regard.

EDIT: LOL, Tzupy and I are feeling the same vibe!
ZephramC

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:21:09 PM

Smiley

LOL! It's vulnerable. I can change the transaction ID in the block still and if you are using the transaction ID to track the payment it'll appear gone to you. Your client will notice the new tx as it gets broadcasted to it but it won't "know" that its actually the other tx.

Of course the client does not "lose" the BTC, no client that I know of does that when the txid is changed in transit.

Why would anyone serious with larger transactions use transaction ID for tracking payments???
Of course Mt.Gox will try to blame the others and mark them as scammers and maybe even hackers.  Wink
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: