Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 07:21:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SecurePrint flawed (in the context of fragmented backups)  (Read 931 times)
CipherAnthem (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 12:54:14 PM
Last edit: February 10, 2014, 01:25:44 PM by CipherAnthem

In my opinion having to share the SecurePrint code among all fragments in an M-of-N fragmented backup scenario, is a security flaw. If an adversary manages to get access to all the fragments without the SecurePrint code (e.g by MITM the printer) he will only have to get a hold of one of the fragments to be able to get the SecurePrint code and restore the wallet.

I don't consider this to be a critical security flaw, but still something worth considering and maybe fixing for a future release.
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 07:54:34 PM

In my opinion having to share the SecurePrint code among all fragments in an M-of-N fragmented backup scenario, is a security flaw. If an adversary manages to get access to all the fragments without the SecurePrint code (e.g by MITM the printer) he will only have to get a hold of one of the fragments to be able to get the SecurePrint code and restore the wallet.

I don't consider this to be a critical security flaw, but still something worth considering and maybe fixing for a future release.

This was intentional.  Multiple codes are not required to protect the fragments from the printer.  What you describe is still a multi-point attack, which is the point of fragmented backups in the first place.  A compromised printer alone will not result in theft, and a compromised single fragment will not result in theft either.  If someone has access to both your printer, and at least one of your fragments, they are targeting you (and have a lot of access to your life), and will probably find ways to compromise you anyway. 

It achieves its goal of mitigating casual threats, which may attack thousands of people at once (such as malware), and take whatever is easy and unprotected, and forego complex, physical, targeted attacks on any particular person.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
CipherAnthem (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 08:31:12 PM

Even if an attacker has access to my life I want to make it as difficult for them as possible. You have a lot of nifty solutions for paranoid users and I thought this would be a good complement.

In the meantime I suggest that users who want a little bit of extra security when it comes to the SecurePrint feature, to only write the code down on as many fragments as it is necessary, i.e. N - M + 1 fragments. For example in a 5-of-6 fragmented backup configuration you only need to put down the SecurePrint code on 2 (=6-5+1) fragments and then put these fragments in the locations you deem most secure.
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 08:35:07 PM

Even if an attacker has access to my life I want to make it as difficult for them as possible. You have a lot of nifty solutions for paranoid users and I thought this would be a good complement.

In the meantime I suggest that users who want a little bit of extra security when it comes to the SecurePrint feature, to only write the code down on as many fragments as it is necessary, i.e. N - M + 1 fragments. For example in a 5-of-6 fragmented backup configuration you only need to put down the SecurePrint code on 2 (=6-5+1) fragments and then put these fragments in the locations you deem most secure.

The SecurePrint code is just another piece of data that is needed to unlock your fragmented backups.  You can do what you're saying, or you can just recalibrate your decision of M and N (in M-of-N) to meet your security-vs-redundancy needs.  For instance, use 4-of-7 instead of 3-of-5 and then you haven't destroyed your ability to recover it if particular fragments are not recovered.

Or don't use SecurePrint at all and write all data down by hand from the computer screen.  There's nothing wrong with that.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
CipherAnthem (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 08:39:27 PM

Or don't use SecurePrint at all and write all data down by hand from the computer screen.  There's nothing wrong with that.

Sometimes the easiest solution is the best  Smiley I completely agree.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: