Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:42:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do whales really control the market, or is that a myth  (Read 2232 times)
NoviceInvestor (OP)

Activity: 113
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 08:08:55 AM

Is there any evidence that these mysterious 'whales' really control the bitcoin market, or is this a myth generated as people try to understand why bitcoin prices go up and down?
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 08:23:49 AM

It isn't that hard to figure that out even if you don't have actual evidence. Logically, if you have enough coins to manipulate the market to your advatage, why won't you? And i think there have been several instances where a single transaction from the same wallet address bought or sold enough coins to move the market.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
bitfocus

Activity: 532
Merit: 15

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 08:27:47 AM

They actually don't control the market - they just manipulate with their tons of coins and use panic and rumors to manipulate peoples.
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 08:32:57 AM

If you would simply look even at Bitcoin's price chart you will see that in some time frame you will see some kind of sudden spike in its volume and even in its prices, this sudden spike is more likely be done by whales rather than a lot of people coordinating to buy or sell at the same time. They have the money to pump as well as the cryptocurrency to offload in one big dump. This is no myth as this whales literally lurk in our market even until now. I don't even know where you have that thought that they are just a myth created by people.
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1499

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 08:48:37 AM

Is there any evidence that these mysterious 'whales' really control the bitcoin market, or is this a myth generated as people try to understand why bitcoin prices go up and down?

I don't really believe in it because there is no evidence of the same happening. However, the whales are actually the big money hoarders so they have some controlling interests on the price of a cryptocurrency. But one thing I always fail to understand and I have asked this same questions to many places in this forum. Not yet received a satisfactory reply yet.

Lets assume, I hold 100,000 of bitcoins. So as a whale, why would I want the bitcoin's price to go down? If the price increases, my net worth will be increasing and I will have more purchasing power. So I fail to understand people, when they say that whales are behind this price crash. How and why?? Can anyone provide a proper understanding?

yazher

Activity: 2184
Merit: 585

You own the pen

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 08:52:26 AM

Basically the news about that the whale is controlling the market has no evidence and it was just an opinion of someone, price go down as the negative news is continue to spread and some hacking of a big shot exchanges what do you expect will happened of course the price will go down drastically that just the way it is.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Zin-Zang

Activity: 364
Merit: 13

Killing Lightning Network with a 51% Ignore attack

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 08:53:26 AM

1st rule of Whale Mafia ,

Is you don't talk about the Whale Mafia, Capisce?   Wink

Anyone that breaks the rule, end of swimming with the fishes.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I was Red Tagged because Lauda Blows Theymos to get back on DT
The rest are just lauda's personal butt monkeys=> Hhampuz , Vod, TMAN , achow101
Supremacy2

Activity: 132
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 09:03:27 AM

Whales can't control Bitcoin but manipulate the price with Rumour to cause panic and that might serve as opportunity for them to acquire more. I believe it will get to a stage where Circulating supply and Total supply will be equal and FUD or Rumour won't really have effect on the price to fall because everyone have to hold it tight.
whirlcoin

Activity: 602
Merit: 111

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 09:14:01 AM

If you want the proof for the manipulation then you need to check that sharp dumps and bumps occurring in the bitcoin prices.When this happens actually people wamt to buy and sell accordingly to the market situation so they are manipulating the prices for sure.
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 09:24:19 AM

They have some degree of control over the market, but that degree is very much an unknown. Bitcoin's value has gone up so much that I can only imagine that it would take an ungodly amount of money to move it. The largest whales typically possess that amount.

There's no hard evidence for it happening as far as I'm aware, but most people believe it because it's certainly possible. The combination of the centralization of wealth along with the unregulated status of the market make it a good target for those with resources and something to gain.

You can't blame whales for every movement though, which seems to be happening a lot lol.

Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 09:31:04 AM

control is a strong word in my opinion to describe the situation.

of course control has degrees. for example we know that bitcoin market is huge compare to the altcoin markets combined. so the degree of control can be compared. take any altcoin for an example. a whale there can easily manipulate the price with a lot less money than is required to have an effect in bitcoin market.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
onaiwusun

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2018, 09:34:29 AM

They really do for real. They have the resources to swing price in their favour. You only need to watch the progression in prices of coins being subjected to pumps and dumps. Whales do that on a larger scale.
onaiwusun

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2018, 09:37:55 AM

They actually don't control the market - they just manipulate with their tons of coins and use panic and rumors to manipulate peoples.
That is more like controlling the market, whether they buy/dump large amounts of coins or they use the media to create hype or FUD, one could say they manipulate the market or control in my opinion. I may be wrong though
Hui8

Activity: 602
Merit: 259

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 09:40:23 AM

It isn't that hard to figure that out even if you don't have actual evidence. Logically, if you have enough coins to manipulate the market to your advatage, why won't you? And i think there have been several instances where a single transaction from the same wallet address bought or sold enough coins to move the market.

Come on lets not forget the event of December 2017.  Roll Eyes

How many of you really believe that it was the natural pump and not the artificial one? I am pretty sure that was act of Whales where most of the powerful came into the market with clubbed offer and made those dramatic changes. Im not sure why, but I always believe that event was product of artificial manipulation made by whales.
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 10:09:31 AM

You need money to make more money it's as simple as that. And the whales have so much money available to them that they can influence the Bitcoin price at their whim. I don't think the big swings happen in a natural way and more likely there is someone or a group of people pulling the strings. It's not a myth but rather real. As for getting evidence one could monitor what volumes of Bitcoin are being bought and sold at major exchanges but that's a very strenuous task.
newinbtc
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 10:14:39 AM

THERE IS no actual evidence for this . but i will give some example for this. Do you know 10,000 bitcoin pizza deal ? how that deal become popular , how he get bitcoins ? after that incident bitcoin price jumped over 500% in a month

this is an example of live whale , still that topic is here on bitcoin-talk.

We cannot see ghost or negative energy , but they exist similar whales exist but not visible to ourself
Saisher

Activity: 2296
Merit: 175

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 10:25:09 AM

There's no hard evidence but logic will tell us it's possible, as you can see they are the one who is going to benefit if they can control the market because they have the volume but I understand they buy in a dip and sell in a surge this is how they make profit and they easily sell it in profit at a much lower profit.

SWG.ioPre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15
║〘 Available On BINANCE 〙•〘 FIRST LISTING CONFIRMED 〙•〘 ✅ Certik Audited 〙║
╙ ›››››››››››››››››››››››››››››› BUY NOW ‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹ ╜
pat4cryptoreal

Activity: 630
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 10:25:25 AM

It is possible for the whale to control the price because most of them have a large fraction of bitcoin. They can decide to devalue the price and pull down the market at any time after that buy a large fraction again during the deep since they have money.
12tribes

Activity: 378
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 10:29:03 AM

Yes, to an extent they do control the market price. Rue the day when the whales now know each other and form a cliques such that they decide when they pump price and when to buy. To an extent they affect the pump and dump situation and as such they tend to tilt market prices to their favour

qwertyup23

Activity: 2240
Merit: 787

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 10:45:43 AM

It is possible for the whale to control the price because most of them have a large fraction of bitcoin. They can decide to devalue the price and pull down the market at any time after that buy a large fraction again during the deep since they have money.

Not in particularly control, but manipulate in the sense of bitcoin's price as they share the major amount in the market. When they decide to manipulate the price, some will sell most of their coins in order to increase the supply or decrease the demand depending on their decision. Since the market theoretically follows the law of demand and supply, by the amount of resources that whales have, they have the opportunity to gain more using this tactic.

Basically the news about that the whale is controlling the market has no evidence and it was just an opinion of someone, price go down as the negative news is continue to spread and some hacking of a big shot exchanges what do you expect will happened of course the price will go down drastically that just the way it is.

The problem with determining the whales, especially in cryptocurrencies, is that no one actually knows whether or not they manipulate the price. Since cryptocurrencies also share the anonymity factor on its transactions, it may be difficult to determine if they have the absolute control on the market price as various of factors contribute to the increase/decrease on the price of bitcoin depending upon the situation or in the media.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x