Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:44:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice wanted on starting a Bitcoin business  (Read 989 times)
Borph (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 02:13:25 PM

Hi all,

I read a lot about Bitcoins in a technical manner and I like the idea, I want to support it!

I have a friend, she is a translator here in Germany. Kind of freelancing job, taking work from all over the world. For example she translated an Android app for the German market. You can guess: some big, some small orders, and so far payment is done by Paypal or Moneybookers, and here starts the pain.

She listened to me and would be interested in Bitcoins! What would be a way to help her _really_ easy? She is an average Windows user. I guess she prefers to have EUR at the end, not BTC.

One possibility I see is: The client buys BTC with (i.e.) USD on Tradehill.com, transfers, and she is converting in EUR. But this seems to be complicated, also the client has to open an account there.

I don't have an overview about the possibilities yet, everybody can throw some ideas to me! If it's working out, I think it's possible to acknowledge the orders directly in BTC later, becoming a real Bitcoin business!
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 02:32:02 PM

There are some sites for freelancers who accept bitcoin as payment, she could start by publishing her services there I suppose.

Besides that, there isn't much mystery I'd say. No need to automate anything. She only has to make it clear she also accepts bitcoins as payments as well as the previous methods/currencies. Cashing them out in euros shouldn't be that hard. How the client will acquire his bicoins is up to him.
Pontius

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 12:51:18 PM

Maybe I got wrong but you friend could simply add Bitcoin as an additional payment method (next to paypal, moneybookers, ...). If her customers own bitcoins they might consider using them, if not they use a different method.

Anyway keep the currency fluctuation in mind, this is a major PIA when doing busines with Bitcoins. Maybe you should have a look at Bit-Pay (http://www.btcnn.com/2011/08/bit-pay-solving-bitcoin-merchant.html) which seems to solve this problem.
Mt.Gox Support
VIP

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 06:54:58 AM

Note that Mt.Gox now has the ability to set up Euro wallets. If your friend was to set up an account, she could be paid in either mtgoxEUR or BTC, and withdraw those funds in Euro straight into her European bank account via SEPA transfer.

The only thing she would need to do is either provide her clients with her Mt.Gox bitcoin address, or ask that they pay her by sending an Mt.Gox EUR Redeemable Code by email.

Mt.Gox : The Leading International Bitcoin Exchange.
Mt.Gox Merchant Solutions : https://mtgox.com/merchant
fastandfurious

Activity: 224

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 07:42:26 AM

Note that Mt.Gox now has the ability to set up Euro wallets. If your friend was to set up an account, she could be paid in either mtgoxEUR or BTC, and withdraw those funds in Euro straight into her European bank account via SEPA transfer.

The only thing she would need to do is either provide her clients with her Mt.Gox bitcoin address, or ask that they pay her by sending an Mt.Gox EUR Redeemable Code by email.

I am having a problem with my Euro transfer, how do I get help with that?
Mt.Gox Support
VIP

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 07:58:27 AM

Hello fastandfurious,

If you need assistance, please feel free to contact Mt.Gox Support at any time. You can do so by either logging into Mt.Gox and clicking the "support" tab, or by sending an email to support@mtgox.com.

If your problem relates to a Euro transfer, please make sure when sending an email to let us know when you made the transfer, how much it was for, and your Mt.Gox number.

fastandfurious

Activity: 224

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 08:38:10 AM

Hello fastandfurious,

If you need assistance, please feel free to contact Mt.Gox Support at any time. You can do so by either logging into Mt.Gox and clicking the "support" tab, or by sending an email to support@mtgox.com.

If your problem relates to a Euro transfer, please make sure when sending an email to let us know when you made the transfer, how much it was for, and your Mt.Gox number.

Just sent an email saying: Sepa Transfer.
Borph (OP)

Activity: 34

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 03:10:35 PM

Thanks, so I guess the easiest way is to mention Bitcoins as an additional payment next to Paypal etc. and then acknowledge the price on demand.

I would like to see something even easier for the client, i.e. transfer USD directly to the MtGox or Tradehill bank account, providing her reference so the money will be deposited to her account.

@MtGox support: Is this possible? I guess this is not wanted because of money laundry regulations, is it?

The client would just have to make a wire transfer in USD. She takes care of USD->BTC, BTC->EUR and wire to her private bank account then.
Mt.Gox Support
VIP

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 01:39:27 AM

Hello Borph,

This unfortunately is not possible, for the reasons you outlined. The simplest way would be to have the bitcoins paid directly to her Mt.Gox account, which would not cause any issues, at which point she could sell them for EUR and withdraw to her bank account.

Alternatively, for clients who already have a Mt.Gox account they could send her BTC or mtgoxEUR directly via a Mt.Gox Redeemable Code. This would likely be the best way to go about it, for recurring or long-time clients.

mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2011, 01:45:00 AM

This would be a great opportunity for MtGox. Have an instant-conversion address. Any bitcoins received would be converted to the user's currency immediately. Takes some of the risk out of doing business with bitcoins.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2011, 01:45:25 AM

Mt Gox support, would you mind posting a PGP signed message from Mark Karpeles asserting that you represent Mt Gox and are not an imposter?

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Mt.Gox Support
VIP

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 03:05:51 AM

Hello mb300sd,

Your suggestion has been forwarded to our development team for review.

casascius,

If it would help, I'll ask Mark to make a posting to that effect. Furthermore, the email address tied to this account is the Mt.Gox support address.

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 04:30:39 AM

Hello mb300sd,

Your suggestion has been forwarded to our development team for review.

casascius,

If it would help, I'll ask Mark to make a posting to that effect. Furthermore, the email address tied to this account is the Mt.Gox support address.

but forum accounts here don't require email activation, so anyone could do that part.
MtGox_Adam

Activity: 22

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2011, 05:57:06 AM

Mt Gox support, would you mind posting a PGP signed message from Mark Karpeles asserting that you represent Mt Gox and are not an imposter?

I can vouch for the Mt.Gox Support account. It's legit, and as they mentioned if anyone wants to be sure then just send an email to support@mtgox.com

Regards,

Adam
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2011, 05:31:33 PM

Did MtGox forget how to use PGP or something?

MtGox_Adam, you should confirm yourself the same way.  There is just no way that anybody should be expected to take your word for it that a newbie account with 14 posts represents the biggest Bitcoin exchange in existence.

Look, you either need to PGP-sign a message confirming your identity and your authorization to represent MtGox on the forum, or there needs to be a link somewhere at https://mtgox.com that does the same.  Both should mention your user ID's.  It's ridiculous to expect that everybody who wonders if you're a phishing account should have to put in a support ticket just to confirm you're not.

If you are real, then by expecting us to rely on e-mail to confirm your identity, at the same time MtGox is the subject of numerous active phishing/impersonation attacks... you are really not using your head.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
neonshadow

Activity: 18

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 05:54:19 PM

This sounds like a bad idea...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: