Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:41:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you participate in this experiment?  (Read 1684 times)
EskimoBob (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 03:31:08 PM
Last edit: September 27, 2011, 06:41:26 PM by EskimoBob

This experiment is really simple: You figure out a way how to SPEND a N number of bitcoins per week and do that for the 6-8 weeks in a row.

"Rules":
  • Spend your coin on goods and services and not buying other coins
  • Select a amount of bitcoin you feel comfortable with and spend it every week!
  • No excuses for not spending!
  • You can spend more but not less the amount you decided to spend
  • No drugs, no pr0n, no hookers, no gambling - btc public image is shitty enough as it is.

If you decide to participate, please let us all know by posting few lines of your activities as a comment to this post.

Stop hoarding, start spending!

DO NOT BLINK while you read the following line:

EDIT: Keep it clean, NO off-topic rantsno trolling, no whining, no flame wars in this post!

If you have no plan to participate in this experiment, please move along and DO NOT post any of your comments to this thread!
Thank you.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EskimoBob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 03:35:45 PM

I am going to spend 1 or more BTC every week starting week 38.

Last week (w 38) I spent about 4 BTC by buying coffee.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2011, 03:48:11 PM

why are you opposing hoarding and spending ?
it is possible to hoard bitcoins and to spend them too.

I hoard some bitcoins. And I spend bitcoins whenever I can buy something I need with them.
I usually buy back the bitcoins that I spend, so that my savings do not decrease.

I do not see the point of deciding in advance that I have to spend a given amount every month.
I spend bitcoins on stuff that I really need, not to subsidize the economy.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 04:22:39 PM

No drugs, no pr0n, no hookers, no gambling - btc public image is shitty enough as it is.

in other words, no fun.
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 05:13:30 PM

why are you opposing hoarding and spending ?
it is possible to hoard bitcoins and to spend them too.

I hoard some bitcoins. And I spend bitcoins whenever I can buy something I need with them.
I usually buy back the bitcoins that I spend, so that my savings do not decrease.

I do not see the point of deciding in advance that I have to spend a given amount every month.
I spend bitcoins on stuff that I really need, not to subsidize the economy.

I've been hoarding since I bought them for $14.
(Is anyone really hording, or is it an urban legend? Why would someone hoard something who's price keeps dropping?)
dancupid

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 05:20:05 PM

I've been hoarding since I bought them for $14.
(Is anyone really hording, or is it an urban legend? Why would someone hoard something who's price keeps dropping?)

Why would I spend something now when it is worth $5 when I could wait until later when it is worth $15, $50, $100000?

Because you can still buy them at $5 now. If I want something I can only buy with bitcoins I just buy more now. (but I really did buy at $14 and hoarded them)
dancupid

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 05:44:11 PM

This experiment is really simple: You figure out a way how to SPEND a N number of bitcoins per week and do that for the 6-8 weeks in a row.

"Rules":
  • Spend your coin on goods and services and not buying other coins
  • Select a amount of bitcoin you feel comfortable with and spend it every week!
  • No excuses for not spending!
  • You can spend more but not less the amount you decided to spend
  • No drugs, no pr0n, no hookers, no gambling - btc public image is shitty enough as it is.

If you decide to participate, please let us all know by posting few lines of your activities as a comment to this post.

Keep it clean, no trolling, no whining, no flame wars in this post!

I would love to buy more things with bitcoins - apart from online services like bitcointorrenz.com (which I use almost obsessively) there's not much I can buy (I'm in China)
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2011, 06:02:40 PM

That's good until I am out of Bitcoins. Then I need to earn some more by selling goods and services. Then I can spend those on other goods and services.

Saving is not hoarding. One of the problems with many economies is the low personal savings rate (pdf).

e·con·o·my /iˈkänəmē/
Noun: The wealth and resources of a country or region, esp. in terms of the consumption and production of goods and services.
EskimoBob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 06:37:38 PM

If you are not going to participate in this experiment, please DO NOT POST ANY of your comment to this thread.

EDIT: Keep it clean, no off-topic rants,  no trolling, no whining, no flame wars in this post!

tuckerlee

Activity: 56
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 06:50:20 PM

I've been investing in currency and just started a new company, i think I have about 0.5 hoarded Smiley

Bitrated user: tuckerlee.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2011, 08:03:38 PM

I'm spending over 200/week. My job is to figure out how to get more for less, not how to burn through my capital faster.

If you want to increase bitcoin usage and value then do this. Take your relationships from the dollar world into the bitcoin world. Whenever you can meet one of your recurring needs with bitcoin move enough to cover that need for a long time into bitcoins.

The ultimate goal is income, savings and spending in bitcoins. And if it is forced and artificial then it won't last. Find ways to profit using this awesome new tool. Saving 3% from not having credit card fees is fine if you were already able to make a profit before, but most should be looking for huge new opportunities, things that weren't even possible before.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
petercyr

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2011, 02:41:16 PM

and tweet / share about it to promote bitcoin and the merchant where you spent the coins..
dancupid

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 05:36:16 PM

If you are not going to participate in this experiment, please DO NOT POST ANY of your comment to this thread.

EDIT: Keep it clean, no off-topic rants,  no trolling, no whining, no flame wars in this post!

I will not be participating in this experiment, and will avoid replying to your posts in future so as not to offend you with words that do not fit your anal criteria for perfection.
fivebells

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 08:12:32 PM

Whenever you can meet one of your recurring needs with bitcoin move enough to cover that need for a long time into bitcoins.
Bwahahaha.  With the way it's inflating, that's a LOT of bitcoins...
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 11:12:28 PM

Hi E-Bob.  How does survey/opinion stuff rate.  I was testing a couple of questions to some international friends this week and was thinking about widening it to some crazy place like this forum.

Specifically I was looking at people who get one bill from their electricity lines company and a different one from the power company.  (It relates to a piece of work I was doing).  For example, Denmark has separate billing, as does Rhode Island, Delaware and Maryland.  I was interested in other deregulated areas (eg, UK, Australia, New Zealand, other US states, europe) and providing a bounty (in bitcoin) for responses - say 0.1 to 1.0 BTC depending on the information content.

The economics are simple for me, I get paid more than the cost of the coin.  Anyway, that is the idea - but it wouldn't run for 6-8 weeks.
BitcoinMint.US

Activity: 284
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 05:16:23 PM

I would love to buy more things with bitcoins - apart from online services like bitcointorrenz.com (which I use almost obsessively) there's not much I can buy (I'm in China)

You could invest using www.GLBSE.com and buy shares in all sorts of companies including bitcointorrentz and my SLV fund.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: