Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:42:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: #OccupyWallStreet Idea - Massive promotion  (Read 9256 times)
carbonpenguin

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 09:13:39 PM

I don't know if this will fly down there - the protesters seem more concerned with solving their current problems and probably wouldn't like to introduce a whole new set of them.

This IS the means to the end. Bitcoin is the tool people need to fix the issue they have at hand. They just don't realize it yet.

The people I talked to down there were receptive: http://btcbusiness.net/?q=node/22

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 09:18:27 PM

Seems like a really terrific idea in principle.

Here's a permutation:

- hand out cards with a URL containing a simple hash which could be typed in easily.

- when the URL is visited, a wallet is created in real-time and populated with whatever funds are deemed appropriate at the time given the funding pool size and interest (that is, what percentage of the cards seem to be being used.)

- that web page visit could walk users through various niceties like the bitcoinnotify.com thing, options for donating the wallet funds so some organization, and whatever else.

- if/when the simple hash URL is re-visited, the instawallet address could be re-displayed, along with current news, more funding distributed if there were any adjustments, etc.

I expect that this is more coding and system design than could be hacked out in time for this event, but maybe not, and maybe such a thing could be readied for the next significant target of opportunity.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 09:56:39 PM

- hand out cards with a URL containing a simple hash which could be typed in easily.

Yea, people aren't gonna type in a complete BTC address for $0.05 USD.

Should we go for a quantity of 500 - 1000 cards and start a bounty/escrow to hold community donations toward this project? Any objection to me holding an escrow toward this and accepting community contributions?

I propose we let whatever donations collected toward this project dictate how many cards and BTC fraction deposited for each card.

What hash length should be displayed on card? 8 chars? 12 chars?

When they visit the page, generate an address, move BTC from/to account (hash), display list of charities accepting BTC donation that they can choose to send BTC directly to or they can enter their own address to transfer to?
trentzb

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 10:02:11 PM

domain suggestions?

wallstreetfail.org
wallstreetbtc.org
btcreplaceswallstreet.org
replacewallstreet.com
replacewallstreet.org
operationbitcoin.com
operationbitcoin.org

deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 10:04:24 PM

A buisness card is sufficent to hold a fairly complex QR, at inch and a half square you can scan a QR contatining 250 characters which would be more than enough to hold a complete hash even if only the first 8-12 characters are shown on it. perhaps both firstbits and bitpay could be of some assistance with this project?

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
iamzill

Activity: 677

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 10:15:27 PM

A buisness card is sufficent to hold a fairly complex QR, at inch and a half square you can scan a QR contatining 250 characters which would be more than enough to hold a complete hash even if only the first 8-12 characters are shown on it. perhaps both firstbits and bitpay could be of some assistance with this project?

Not everyone has the equipment necessary to scan QR codes, unfortunately. More so if they protest at anti-corporate rallies.

If it's a URL then they can redeem it at a public computer if they don't own a computer or smartphone.
deslok

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 10:18:48 PM

i'm not saying ditch the URL i'm saying include a QR for simplicity Smiley
wallstreetbtc sounds good to me but i like operationbit.co.in better

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 10:22:53 PM

Guys if you are going to have an URL for this operation you should host a shortening script just for these cards.
Ex: www.example.com/btcpromo/<some 5 digit number>, which will forward to the instawallet.
edit: never mind someone posted that already.

(BFL)^2 < 0
iamzill

Activity: 677

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 10:28:32 PM

i'm not saying ditch the URL i'm saying include a QR for simplicity Smiley
wallstreetbtc sounds good to me but i like operationbit.co.in better
My bad, I misunderstood.

+1 for the hash directly. The less we rely on online wallets, the better.

This way we don't even need an escrow account to accept donations. Anyone who wants to donate simply sends themselves X BTC, and then export that private key from their wallet. This private key goes straight onto the card in the form of a QR code. 
carbonpenguin

Activity: 236

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 10:29:24 PM

FYI - PayPal troubles seem to be beginning for the occupation: http://feedtheprotest.com/node/219
deslok

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 10:34:44 PM

FYI - PayPal troubles seem to be beginning for the occupation: http://feedtheprotest.com/node/219

Good that's to our benifit, now if we just got the local coffe shops to accept bitcoin this would be perfect Wink

Disposition

Activity: 121

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 10:38:01 PM

Good that's to our benifit, now if we just got the local coffe shops to accept bitcoin this would be perfect Wink

There are plans for this in motion, see the meetup I mentioned, but I don't want to make too many promise unlike some one we know  Roll Eyes
deslok

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 10:51:05 PM

There are plans for this in motion, see the meetup I mentioned, but I don't want to make too many promise unlike some one we know  Roll Eyes

even if it's a dozen people with enough funds to just cover it collecting the coins through bitpay and paying the costs out of pocket Wink

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2011, 10:53:54 PM

This is a really good idea. If I lived in NY or nearby, I would help with this. Too bad I'm stuck in Finland at the moment. Smiley

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
deslok

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 10:58:38 PM

This is a really good idea. If I lived in NY or nearby, I would help with this. Too bad I'm stuck in Finland at the moment. Smiley

I think we need a poll to decide but if trentzb was holding the escrow you could toss in a coin at least

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:06:18 PM

domain suggestions?

wallstreetfail.org
wallstreetbtc.org
btcreplaceswallstreet.org
replacewallstreet.com
replacewallstreet.org
operationbitcoin.com
operationbitcoin.org

I like the form 'operationbitcoin'.  I don't think it should target 'wallstreet' by name since this is to nation specific.

I would suggest one level of abstraction to represent the 'campaign' so that the domain/system can be re-used.  In this case it would be something lile 'ocw'.

I prefer a hash (vs. a small set of numbers) since one of the points here is to make the system less susceptible to ass-wipes trying to game the thing by writing a program which scores free bitcoin.  The hash should be small enough to type easily, but big enough to be non-predictable.  In fact, two random words would probably suffice and be easier to type and remember.

So:

http:  //www.operationbitcoin.org/ocw/dklw8jer

or

http:  //www.operationbitcoin.org/ocw/bird_rock

---

As for donations, I am happy to do so without an escrow, but I would like some level of accounting and progress reports.  Ideally there would be a small group of fairly well known and respected persons coordinating in this effort, and donation can be made to any one of them.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
WiseOldOwl

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2011, 11:14:28 PM

Why not teach them to accept bitcoin? (feedtheprotest org. that is)
Disposition

Activity: 121

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:18:49 PM

I'm a little confused too Tongue since matt aka carbonpenguin has told me he has connections to the people behind it, if it's the technical that's bothering you I'm sure Yifu Guo and his crew will love to help you if you go to the meetup on this Wednesday, he is a bright young man. Also Yifu has made a reddit post on this matter http://redd.it/ktai9
trentzb

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:21:07 PM

http:  //www.operationbitcoin.org/ocw/dklw8jer
  http:  //www.operationbitcoin.org/ocw/bird_rock

As for donations, I am happy to do so without an escrow, but I would like some level of accounting and progress reports.  Ideally there would be a small group of fairly well known and respected persons coordinating in this effort, and donation can be made to any one of them.

I dig this idea operationbitcoin.org/campaign/hash

Are we redirecting to Instawallet or handling locally? Do we want small amounts (pre-)scattered through hundreds of Instawallets and have to collect them up after campaign or handle within local wallet and allocate on demand?

Is someone pledging printing costs and distribution or?

My pledge at the moment is 3 BTC + domain registration (2 - 3 BTC?) + hosting + code.

It doesn't matter much to me whether I handle escrow or not, whoever is distributing funds to Instawallet is controlling funds anyway so either way someone or some few will be in control of donation funds. Other ideas?
trentzb

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:22:22 PM

I'm a little confused too Tongue since matt aka carbonpenguin has told me he has connections to the people behind it, if it's the technical that's bothering you I'm sure Yifu Guo and his crew will love to help you if you go to the meetup on this Wednesday, he is a bright young man. Also Yifu has made a reddit post on this matter http://redd.it/ktai9

I am for this also (assist feedtheprotest org). My 3 BTC stands either way.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: