Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:49:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGOX - so am I hooped?  (Read 2111 times)
achillez (OP)

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:51:14 PM

I have ~5 BTC left in my MTGOX acocunt. Main reason is that I believed in MTGOX's approach (yubikey is cool), and wanted to continue to support one of the first exchanges. Now it seems BTC's are stuck in MTGOX. So am I hooped? Is there anyway to withdraw these coins?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
daburone

Activity: 183
Merit: 111

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:54:56 PM

I have ~5 BTC left in my MTGOX acocunt. Main reason is that I believed in MTGOX's approach (yubikey is cool), and wanted to continue to support one of the first exchanges. Now it seems BTC's are stuck in MTGOX. So am I hooped? Is there anyway to withdraw these coins?

The only way is to take a haircut.

I will trade you 70% realBTC for your goxBTC.

PM me if interested.
achillez (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:57:07 PM

Definite possibility, but how come you're willing to give people a haircut? Do you think you ultimately can withdraw the BTC?
daburone

Activity: 183
Merit: 111

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:01:02 PM

Definite possibility, but how come you're willing to give people a haircut? Do you think you ultimately can withdraw the BTC?

I'm prepared to gamble...
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 11:06:34 PM

...Is there anyway to withdraw these coins?

Yes, learn from history.
Gox will get it fixed and offer free/reduced fee trading for 30 days. Just like they always have.

rix5

Activity: 271
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 02:18:02 AM

what's it worth to support 'one of the first exchanges' since they have first mover advantage already? People like you are the reason gox is able to influence btc-prices. Move away and support smaller upcommers.
With trading on gox you make it harder for new exchanges to get established. Support the newcomers.
bugbounty

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:12:01 AM

Move away and support smaller upcommers.
With trading on gox you make it harder for new exchanges to get established. Support the newcomers.

Great point - there are good exchanges out there, like Bitstamp and Kraken Smiley
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 04:48:25 PM

You guys should have known "Magic The Gathering Online Exchange" was a bunch of crap from the beginning...

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

zeocrash

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:34:54 PM

Great point - there are good exchanges out there, like Bitstamp and Kraken Smiley

I've always found Bitfinex incredibly good, more features and better support than MTGox.

The issue i had with MTGox was that it took forever to withdraw money from them. I gave up waiting after 5 months, after all $1200 now is much more useful than $1500 that never arrives.
3raser

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:50:00 AM

Have you seen this yet?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1xmf8u/i_just_launched_a_new_exchange_for_gox_btc_real/
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:59:13 AM

Why would you want to support MTGOX??? Biggest bunch of bumbling amateur clowns you will ever come across, and single most likely reason bitcoin will fail.

No - there is no way to currently withdraw coins or fiat. Just wait around and see if they re-engage their warp engines and allow BTC withdrawals again.
achillez (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:50:48 PM

Why would you want to support MTGOX??? Biggest bunch of bumbling amateur clowns you will ever come across, and single most likely reason bitcoin will fail.

No - there is no way to currently withdraw coins or fiat. Just wait around and see if they re-engage their warp engines and allow BTC withdrawals again.

Because they were one of the first exchanges. I made my first 50 BTC off them. Btw, some people misinterpreted this as I don't support other exchanges. this is completely wrong, I spread my BTC across many different revenue streams and support even the small guys like cryptsy, mcxnow etc..

5thStreetResearch

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 12:06:46 AM

The only way is to take a haircut.

I will trade you 70% realBTC for your goxBTC.

PM me if interested.

the sharks are circling

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 02:01:48 AM

the sharks are circling

not a shark here but max offer 72.5%
my gox account # 1946, user since 2011
smaller amount also doable : )

Interesting - you are prepared to bet 72.5% Gox will restart their BTC withdrawal engine. Let's see if the OP takes you up on the offer or keeps the risk himself.
cescan

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 02:47:44 AM

hang in there friend. I am in the same boat.

alicea

Activity: 1050
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 10:11:23 AM

Yes this is the good idea.
Bitstamp looks nice, and BTC is going up there.
What do you think about bitcurex? I like it because it exchanges BTC to my national currency.

Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 10:19:57 AM

You guys should have known "Magic The Gathering Online Exchange" was a bunch of crap from the beginning...

Fuck that! I love that game!

Humour aside, I think that most of you will get your coins. Eventually. The officers of the company are too well known in the real world to get away.

I also think they need to just halt operations, send out everyone's coins, and fold. Or restructure. Either way, they need to shit or get off the pot.
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 02:04:01 PM

And when they open the gates... Guess where everyone will cash-out... On your "other exchanges", bringing them down to Gox's value... After all, they just got BTC at half-price, and you guys offer 2x the returns. lol.

However, guess where everyone is buying coins at... Depositing money... The exchange with the lowest price... Over the next 3 months, billions in income-tax returns will be arriving in USA tax-payers hands, a lot will be flooding into Gox, from the USA. Not much going to the other exchanges.

Why deposit to any other exchange? They take the same time to wire, but offer only half the BTC per dollar!

Gox goes $300 under your prices, and $150 over your prices... Sounds like a nice chance to make money. Not going to make much going from $650 back up to $900... But you will make a lot going from $300 back up to $1050.

Get money out... lol... why in the world would you do that! (Slight sarcasm there.) The point was to invest and trade. Cashing out into your pockets takes you out of the game completely. Almost defeats the whole purpose of getting involved in the first place. (Almost)

This is how we reduce the alt-coins and thieves from getting our high-value from our BTC. (Sad, because I mine alt-coins too. But I already got my just rewards.) It's a cycle, deal with it. Tongue
shadyz

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 04:39:59 AM

Yes ,but with bitcoin withdrawals being so unreliable from mtgox and altogether really... Is that really the best idea ?
achillez (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 09:49:35 AM

Update: I emailed w/ mtgox and received a pretty detailed reply as to what's going on. In short they are fixing their problems, are not taking our coins (at least mine Wink ) - and will reintroduce withdrawals soon.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: