Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:50:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens when the Banks make a bitcoin Clone?  (Read 1321 times)
gleydson (OP)

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:26:25 AM

I was in bed trying to figure out what to buy with my bitcoin when it reaches $1,000,000.00 and it came to my mind that a lot of people talk about the bebefits of bitcoin, specialy how easy and cheap is to transmit money worldwide, as we all know the bank charge a fortune to do it, and takes ages..

Now what happens when the banks decides that the bitcoin protocol is the future, but obviusly dont like the idea of being late to the party, and between thenselves, i dont know let's say top 20 banks decide to make a bitcoin clone, maybe alla NXT style all premined and split among then, so they can use as assets, use to send money back and forth cheaper and faster than they currently do.?

What would happen then? they would not need bitcoin or any other clone for that matter, right? Why would the average Joe use bitcoin for faster, cheaper payments while he can use his bank and do the same.. or maybe even faster and more secure.. as their bank is to some extent insured?

Don't get me wrong.. I'm all bitcoins, but just curious..

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 06:13:45 PM

I was in bed trying to figure out what to buy with my bitcoin when it reaches $1,000,000.00 and it came to my mind that a lot of people talk about the bebefits of bitcoin, specialy how easy and cheap is to transmit money worldwide, as we all know the bank charge a fortune to do it, and takes ages..

Now what happens when the banks decides that the bitcoin protocol is the future, but obviusly dont like the idea of being late to the party, and between thenselves, i dont know let's say top 20 banks decide to make a bitcoin clone, maybe alla NXT style all premined and split among then, so they can use as assets, use to send money back and forth cheaper and faster than they currently do.?

What would happen then? they would not need bitcoin or any other clone for that matter, right? Why would the average Joe use bitcoin for faster, cheaper payments while he can use his bank and do the same.. or maybe even faster and more secure.. as their bank is to some extent insured?

Don't get me wrong.. I'm all bitcoins, but just curious..

Thanks
sounds a legitimate concern i'm sure it must have discussed earlier on this forum earlier  ..! but I like your optimism 1btc=$1,000,000.00  i quite like that Smiley

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 06:16:30 PM

A couple of things come to mind:

(a) They have already had *years* to do so and yet have not done a thing.

(b) I doubt that the banks even trust each other enough to create a "coin" that will be shared even amongst themselves.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
cdooer

Activity: 106

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 06:45:16 PM

Anything the banks create would be centrally controlled, which is the opposite of Bitcoin.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 06:47:49 PM

Anything the banks create would be centrally controlled, which is the opposite of Bitcoin.

Although this link is worth taking a look at: http://www.finextra.com/news/fullstory.aspx?newsitemid=25714&topic=payments

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
btc4ever

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 06:55:40 PM

Two possibilities:

a) The bankcoin is just as good as bitcoin in terms of decentralization, open source, license/freedom, fungibility, etc.   In that case, fine.   Smart BTC holders will buy some, cryptocurrency wins.  This is extremely unlikely because of AML requirements, etc.  Pretty much impossible in current legal environment.

b) The bankcoin is not as good in some ways.  ( most likely scenario ). In this case, it must compete with a superior alternative.  In the absence of government force (ie legal tender laws) the superior currency should win in the marketplace.  ( Thiers law ).  With government force, the bad currency will drive the good into hiding (hoarding).  Gresham's law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gresham%27s_law#Reverse_of_Gresham.27s_Law_.28Thiers.27_Law.29

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
pera

Activity: 532
Merit: 261

­バカ

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:05:59 PM

Why make a clone when you can just adopt it?
Standard Bank running internal pilot for Switchless' full Bitcoin integration

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
theskillzdatklls

Activity: 1328
Merit: 563

MintDice.com | TG: t.me/MintDice

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 07:28:42 PM

If a bank creates a cryptocurrency then I won't ever invest in it.

If other people think like me, that's what prevents them from doing this.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████▀▀▀▀███▄
███████▀     ████
███████   ███████
█████        ████
███████   ███████
▀██████   ██████▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██    ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀  ██
██   █▀   ▀█   ██
██   █▄   ▄█   ██
██    ▀▀▀▀▀    ██
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
█▄▄      ████████▄
 █████▄▄████████▌
▀██████████████▌
  █████████████
  ▀██████████▀
   ▄▄██████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

██  ██
  ███████████▄
    ██      ▀█
    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
    ██▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
    ██      ▄█
  ███████████▀
    ██  ██

▄
       ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀      ▄
      ▀█▀  ▀   ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀
███▄▄▄        ▀█▀  ▀     ▄▄▄███       ▐█▄    ▄█▌   ▐█▌   █▄    ▐█▌   ████████   █████▄     ██    ▄█████▄▄   ▐█████▌
████████▄▄           ▄▄████████       ▐███▄▄███▌   ▐█▌   ███▄  ▐█▌      ██      █▌  ▀██    ██   ▄██▀   ▀▀   ▐█
███████████▄       ▄███████████       ▐█▌▀██▀▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██▀██▄▐█▌      ██      █▌   ▐█▌   ██   ██          ▐█████▌
 ████████████     ████████████        ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██  ▀███▌      ██      █▌  ▄██    ██   ▀██▄   ▄▄   ▐█
  ████████████   ████████████         ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██    ▀█▌      ██      █████▀     ██    ▀█████▀▀   ▐█████▌
   ▀███████████ ███████████▀
     ▀███████████████████▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
FIND OUT MORE AT MINTDICE.COM
pening

Activity: 245

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:56:18 PM

... use to send money back and forth cheaper and faster than they currently do.?

There maybe other uses for Bitcoins with in established banks, but they already have systems that transfer money back and forth for near zero cost and near instant time.  They don't use Visa or Western Union.  In UK and Europe normal bank accounts offer free and instant* interbank transfers.

* some will give an SLA of an hour or two, but in my experience its instant enough, transfer online and money can be withdrawn from another bank ATM a few minutes later.
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:56:42 PM

Well if you make a clone, you can be an early miner of it and make tons of money during the infancy stages.

j68r

Activity: 94

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:57:48 PM

Banks won't make a bitcoin clone for the simple reason they wouldn't be able to debase it and in doing so transfer wealth to themselves. Do people not understand how the banking fraud works?

1Bjgt6S6Mk3GsAPM4Mx4RGS4zYhoFURyCZ
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:13:57 PM

The banks may do that, but today's BTC holders won't touch it. It's one of BTC greatest asset that it's not part of the global financial system, and that it doesn't have any link with any bank. A crypto-currency built by banks? Only banks will use it.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:01:30 AM

What would happen then?

Given the reputation of the financial sector, no one in their right mind would use it!
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 05:10:41 AM

Re: What happens when the Banks make a bitcoin Clone?

If they are lucky it gets listed with the other Alta.

If the public can mine for transaction fees it may stand a chance.

They would have the same problem with market adoption as Bitcoin (more costly brand awareness)

If it was used as a reserve currency for FRB someone would screw up and the Bank would collapse due to contagion.

If it was used to do 1:1 banking the banks would have no way to generate income.

So no worries if the banks can pull it off Bitcoin will have saved us. Good luck to them.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 05:24:42 AM

Bitcoin developers are working on products for financial institutions and sovereigns as protocol overlay schemes. Soon Central Banks will be praising Bitcoin as they will be able to print their monies and derivatives without fear of counterfeiting or overreaching jurisdictions. Then *they* will be fighting for Bitcoin deregulation.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
DubFX

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 05:27:42 AM

I wouldn't touch it myself.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 07:57:03 AM

it doesn't make any sense. The banks would have to bootstrap miners. They would be much better off to slowly and stealthily buy up actual bitcoins, accumulating a sizable stake, and then announcing to the world that they are integrating. no one company or group of companies can instantly create the infrastructure that Bitcoin has built over five years. Any crypto the created would just give the real bitcoin more legitimacy, not to mention an online exchange would spring up in 48 hours for the two coins, effectively meaning you could use bitcoin anyway.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: