Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:27:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin really decentralized? Confused by the Mtgox incident  (Read 1486 times)
david_lebrand (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:45:22 AM

as we all know that bitcoin was designed to be a decentralized currency. Yet people have pointed out that 50%+ computing power is owned by only few mining pools. It really hits me hard when people still claim bitcoin as a decentralized currency, especially after yesterday's unfortunate Mtgox incident. Yes, Mtgox surely did a bad coding job. But please really think about who were the attackers?

In order for such faked transactions getting included in the blockchain fast enough and "lucky" enough, I assume it must have something to do with those "centralized" groups of people, at least.
tenaciouzd

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:28:58 AM

Whats hard to understand? People sold. There's no reason why the other exchanges should have been affected, but people at other exchanges sold too like this effected them somehow. Maybe it had something to do with Mt Gox saying the flaw was with all of bitcoin and alts, but even still that doesn't explain the drop prior to their announcement today. The price is ultimately determined by us. Had MtGox been removed from the BPI sooner I don't think the drop would have been as bad on the other echanges. Ever since Coindesk announced they removed it from the BPI it has done nothing but rise ever since.
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:38:54 AM

Bitcoin decentralized?

Myth #348.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 01:45:52 AM

as we all know that bitcoin was designed to be a decentralized currency. Yet people have pointed out that 50%+ computing power is owned by only few mining pools. It really hits me hard when people still claim bitcoin as a decentralized currency, especially after yesterday's unfortunate Mtgox incident. Yes, Mtgox surely did a bad coding job. But please really think about who were the attackers?

In order for such faked transactions getting included in the blockchain fast enough and "lucky" enough, I assume it must have something to do with those "centralized" groups of people, at least.

Bitcoin is so decentralized that if every human being on earth were suddenly vaporized in a nuclear holocaust except for the guy in the photo above, who currently has .003 bitcoins on his computer, the entire bitcoin ledger would be safe.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 08:21:58 AM

as we all know that bitcoin was designed to be a decentralized currency. Yet people have pointed out that 50%+ computing power is owned by only few mining pools.
The statement "the majority of X is owned by the top N largest owners of X" is true of any X and some (usually small) number N, and does not mean that X is centralised.

It really hits me hard when people still claim bitcoin as a decentralized currency, especially after yesterday's unfortunate Mtgox incident. Yes, Mtgox surely did a bad coding job. But please really think about who were the attackers?
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

There were no faked transactions. Only real transactions that Mt. Gox believed it never sent, due to the combination of their incompetently engineered software and non-existent audit process.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
david_lebrand (OP)

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:00:17 AM

as we all know that bitcoin was designed to be a decentralized currency. Yet people have pointed out that 50%+ computing power is owned by only few mining pools.
The statement "the majority of X is owned by the top N largest owners of X" is true of any X and some (usually small) number N, and does not mean that X is centralised.

It really hits me hard when people still claim bitcoin as a decentralized currency, especially after yesterday's unfortunate Mtgox incident. Yes, Mtgox surely did a bad coding job. But please really think about who were the attackers?
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

There were no faked transactions. Only real transactions that Mt. Gox believed it never sent, due to the combination of their incompetently engineered software and non-existent audit process.

my point was those big mining pools could be a huge threat to the future of bitcoin. In bitcoin world, nothing can be trusted as long as it is operated by human. full stop!

Would like to be in a world where only few people control the mining of coins, and guess what, even worse they can steal/rob/destroy your bitcoins if they want to.

I agree that bitcoin is decentralized in terms of the issuing mechanism. But it does not necessarily mean powerful mining pools cannot manipulate it!

In a sentence: bitcoin mining (pools) must be regulated.
PickNic

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:13:35 AM

I think mtgox gonna scam everyone, fortunatly I use bitstamp, they are punctual and honest.
OliverEngland

Activity: 18

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 10:05:15 AM

Don't hold your coins in an online exchange. Especially large amounts.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 10:58:37 AM

In bitcoin world, nothing can be trusted as long as it is operated by human. full stop!
That's true. For instance, the source of your misinformation cannot be trusted.

Would like to be in a world where only few people control the mining of coins, and guess what, even worse they can steal/rob/destroy your bitcoins if they want to.
Explain how they would do these things, or why you think this is possible.

I agree that bitcoin is decentralized in terms of the issuing mechanism. But it does not necessarily mean powerful mining pools cannot manipulate it!
But what necessarily means they can?

By whom?

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:38:54 PM

Bitcoin is so decentralized that if every human being on earth were suddenly vaporized in a nuclear holocaust except for the guy in the photo above, who currently has .003 bitcoins on his computer, the entire bitcoin ledger would be safe.

Did anyone notice the "outdoor toilet" next to the wooden steps.
There's also toilet paper on the second step  Grin

Now that's getting in touch with nature, don't you think?

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 01:03:36 PM

Pools must not be regulated. It is the peoples fault if they let a pool have a huge share of the hashrate.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 02:27:02 PM

Regulating pools would surely go against it's decentralised nature too.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 05:21:56 PM

LOL.  Regulated by whom?   If ANY pool operator tried that, s/he'd lose most/all of the miners within hours or minutes.

And get people to mine with p2pool to help with centralization if you are really concerned.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: