Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:05:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain Torrent - anyone interested?  (Read 1616 times)
mb300sd (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2011, 12:43:14 AM

Since we all know it takes forever to download the blockchain, would anyone be interested in a torrent of it, updated about every week?

I don't see any security threat here since a client with an invalid blockchain would just download the correct one.

Well?

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2011, 12:47:14 AM

Is this ok?
http://eu1.bitcoincharts.com/blockchain/

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
mb300sd (OP)
Legendary

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2011, 12:50:26 AM

I guess never mind then, the only other blockchain I found downloaded at less than 1 MB/s.. that ones plenty fast.

doobadoo

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 03:59:04 AM

why not just bundle a copy of the blockchain with the client, that way the client only has to spend an hour or so to update.

I zipped the 600 meg blockchain down to 450.   thats not bad.  Why isn't it included with the download of the client itself?

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 04:37:29 AM

i'm assuming .sig used to verify the download signature, but how?  otherwise, just accepting the .tar without using ssl for the download URL leaves me vulnerable to a man in the middle attack, right?
mb300sd (OP)
Legendary

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2011, 06:38:50 AM

I don't think theres a danger in having an invalid blockchain, the client would just see that the correct one is longer and download it the normal way.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 04:16:44 PM

I don't think theres a danger in having an invalid blockchain, the client would just see that the correct one is longer and download it the normal way.
That is incorrect. The blockchain files themselves are never verified by the client because it is assumed that the blocks were checked as they came in. Since the blocks aren't rechecked when you download them in this way, literally anything could be inserted in there and it could be made to appear like everything is fine until the attacker decides to use the hole they made. For most people, it is just fine if you download these files from a trusted member. If you sell much stuff or are a miner, though, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you get the blockchain using the built-in download and verification system.

sgravina

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 07:51:34 PM

If I download the blockchain on one machine can I just copy it to my other machines?  I'm thinking of having a bitcoin server on each of my 9 miners.  I want to use solo mining as a backup to my pooled mining.  I know I could have a single bitcoin server but I think that a per machine server would be more robust to server failure.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 12:01:14 AM

If I download the blockchain on one machine can I just copy it to my other machines?
Yes, as long as you completely trust the source of the blockchain files, it is just fine. Since you are the source, the only concern then is if someone infected that one computer with a trojan to mess with the blockchain files... But that's even more unlikely than someone uploading false blockchain files anyway.

Exonumia

Activity: 189
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 08:27:13 AM

Can always just grab the snapshot from sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: