Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 04:39:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Airdrop: Only Coinbase can create an altcoin that beats Bitcoin.  (Read 1106 times)
niran (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:44:59 AM
Last edit: February 11, 2014, 01:55:01 AM by niran

I wrote a short story about what would happen if Coinbase released an altcoin.

On the Bitcoin community’s last day of referring to themselves as “the Bitcoin community,” the hottest topic was the new altcoin that Coinbase had released. In retrospect, the company blog undersold the coin a bit.

Today, we’re happy to announce Basecoin, a new currency we’ve developed to complement Bitcoin. At it’s core, it’s built on top of Litecoin, a popular Bitcoin alternative, with a few important differences.

Read the rest: http://niran.org/bitcoin-fiction/the-airdrop.html

I'd love to hear your feedback.
rkirkman

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 03:17:27 PM

Fooled me! I found your article before tracing it back here. Searched all over Coinbase! lol. Good job.
jcoin200

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 03:36:49 PM

Why doesn't coinbase just start implementing Litecoin?  The creator of Litecoin already works for Coinbase!
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 03:39:18 PM

Why doesn't coinbase just start implementing Litecoin?  The creator of Litecoin already works for Coinbase!

Same reason Bitpay Wont = Core competencies.  These companies are striving to become the best juggernaut Oligopoly companies that they can...trying to become the next Google/Apple/Microsofts of Bitcoin payment processing.  They won't bother with "low hanging fruit"  If anything...they would rather bootstrap a subsidiary startup altogether like Litepay or Litebase...I wish it weren't so...Just saying  Undecided

CoinMode

Activity: 417
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 03:47:17 PM

Coinbase went from 200k to 700k users in two months. I think they have their hands full at the moment.
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 03:53:17 PM

Same reason Bitpay Wont = Core competencies.  These companies are striving to become the best juggernaut Oligopoly companies that they can...trying to become the next Google/Apple/Microsofts of Bitcoin payment processing.  They won't bother with "low hanging fruit"  If anything...they would rather bootstrap a subsidiary startup altogether like Litepay or Litebase...I wish it weren't so...Just saying  Undecided

This is a good amount of truth in this. After all, LTC is around 1/20 of the BTC cap. The shrewd business decision is to continue investing in your market share of the market with the larger cap and then acquiring the companies that address the markets with smaller caps. As a starting point, since there were already so many compliance and legal issues the first time around with BTC, why would they want to jump into that foray again with other alt-currencies?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: