Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:56:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many people have received random .00000001 transactions to their wallets?  (Read 14160 times)
jongameson

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:27:55 PM

im a little worried about this, i have sent hours ago a transaction without fee:

https://blockchain.info/es/tx/95a2f444dfe9ffd7efa3ebd53aa4069a3a53a94d62c8af4af70feb15fb2b24a4

and it´s taking forever to confirm even once. I dont usually send transactions without fee, so i don´t know how much time is normal to wait in a case like this,,, what i wonder is if all these 1 satoshi transactions can be affecting no-fee transactions somehow, adding noise and non-confirmed transactions waiting in the line, what do you think?

all those number make me cry

that's like over $400 in transactio!
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
epenue

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:43:54 PM

im a little worried about this, i have sent hours ago a transaction without fee:

https://blockchain.info/es/tx/95a2f444dfe9ffd7efa3ebd53aa4069a3a53a94d62c8af4af70feb15fb2b24a4

and it´s taking forever to confirm even once. I dont usually send transactions without fee, so i don´t know how much time is normal to wait in a case like this,,, what i wonder is if all these 1 satoshi transactions can be affecting no-fee transactions somehow, adding noise and non-confirmed transactions waiting in the line, what do you think?

Damn this language.
Code:
 Tiempo Estimado de Confirmación	 4 minutos (posición en la cola 204)  
You should be fine soon enough.

its always the same, in every block... it doesnt confirm and when the block resolves it is near the begining of the line... but then more transactions go in before mine.

sorry for my language, i do what i can and also im sooo sleppy right now  Tongue
ducatitalia

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

100% Positive EBAY Feedback Since 2001

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:02:37 AM

Had this happen twice in the last 24 hours.  Neither transaction was ever confirmed and eventually they were deleted.   Original simultaneous intended transactions were dramatically slower than normal, though not sure it had anything to do with the spam sends. 

Had a mysterious double spend that failed and eventually went away as well...thinking it was part of the transaction malleability nonsense that's been going on.

Top Bitrated Escrow Service: Racer Great BTC Resources: www.thebtcboss.com
Interest Free Loans: Here BTC:1MBFDLK3s9Nzk7Anfzx2GvhUo7DEBqFz7W
Sheldor333

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:10:56 AM

all those number make me cry

that's like over $400 in transactio!
I feel you. Wish I had even close to that.

AltorXP

Activity: 71

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:14:03 AM

Wait, doesn't it take more to send that transaction than it is worth? Or am I wrong about that?
No. You can chose to not pay the fee and pray to the lord that your transaction will get confirmed one day.

I wonder if any of those will ever confirm and how long it will take for all of them to be confirmed.

I doubt any miners will include them in mined blocks
URSAY
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:22:39 AM

I have a cold storage address which has received 2 of these transactions but are still unconfirmed.  It would be interesting to know where the address was made public.
Cyberdyne

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:38:02 AM

I have a cold storage address which has received 2 of these transactions but are still unconfirmed.  It would be interesting to know where the address was made public.

Does the cold-storage address have any other (confirmed) funds in it? If so, the address is on the public blockchain.
encrypto

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:42:14 AM

I also received 2 transactions on a blockchain.info wallet that I only used one single time to receive a payment. Very weird. Two times 0.00000001 BTC (satoshi). But the transaction hasn't yet been "confirmed". I have secured my wallets with a strong password and used two-factor-authentication.

What is happening.... is this just spam or more to be worried about?

jongameson

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:43:49 AM

.00000001 transactions take extra long time, due to prevent spamming on the .net work.  don't be gay
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:44:27 AM

Eligius is essentially the only miner who will clear crap like this out of the queue.  If it weren't for him the set of unconfirmed transactions would grow without limit until the network just ran out of room to store them.

So they'll pretty much all remain unconfirmed until Eligius gets a block or two or three.  Send the man a tip if you appreciate him unclogging your wallet and keeping the network running.

If it matters to you that a transaction should go through, pay the dang fee.  

It doesn't matter to the spam-motivated 'dust' spreaders; they just want people to *see* the transaction (and the URL that comes with it).  Which doesn't depend on the transaction ever confirming.

Note that spam isn't the only motivation for people spreading dust; there are also people spreading dust in order to link old spends to new spends.  This means you send 'dust' to an address that received BTC in an old transaction you're interested in, then wait for the 'dust' txout to be spent in some new transaction.   Then you know that the person who made the new transaction is the same person who made the old transaction.  Your client might never choose to spend a large BTC txout from the old transaction, but is very likely to spend 'dust' almost immediately, so this is pretty effective.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:45:54 AM

Indeed.  I just checked and some of my wallets have gotten spammed also.  All of these cold storage wallets were created carefully by starting up a wallet-less bitcoind then carefully wiping everything.  They've been deeply off-line ever since.  They would have been created and stored in Q3 2011.

I probably have checked the balances on blockexplorer back in the day.

I have created a Google spreadsheet which queries blockexplorer when it still worked and more recently blockchain.info for balances.  Derived from coblee's work.  I check it occasionally.  It is shared with noone.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Cyberdyne

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:50:53 AM

Indeed.  I just checked and some of my wallets have gotten spammed also.  All of these cold storage wallets were created carefully by starting up a wallet-less bitcoind then carefully wiping everything.  They've been deeply off-line ever since.  They would have been created and stored in Q3 2011.

I probably have checked the balances on blockexplorer back in the day.

I have created a Google spreadsheet which queries blockexplorer when it still worked and more recently blockchain.info for balances.  Derived from coblee's work.  I check it occasionally.  It is shared with noone.

However their addresses have been public ever since 2011. Because p2p blockchain.

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 01:35:16 AM

However their addresses have been public ever since 2011. Because p2p blockchain.

Oh ya.  That.

I wonder if this is the work of the slimy pricks at Coin Validation (Mellon, Waters, Guo) in testing out their identity mapping theories or something.

Whatever.  I always drain my cold storage wallets after retrieving them and I should be able to patch my client to just ignore this dust trx and throw it out with the wallet carcass.  <shrug>

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
vga

Activity: 26

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 01:40:58 AM

[/quote]

Whatever.  I always drain my cold storage wallets after retrieving them and I should be able to patch my client to just ignore this dust trx and throw it out with the wallet carcass.  <shrug>

[/quote]

How does one "drain" a cold storage wallet? I should probably do this in the future.
I have three of these transactions for .00000001 that are not confirming. Is there a solution posted yet as to what we should do?
Thanks
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 01:53:08 AM

How does one "drain" a cold storage wallet? I should probably do this in the future.
I have three of these transactions for .00000001 that are not confirming. Is there a solution posted yet as to what we should do?
Thanks

By 'drain', I just mean to spend them down to zero.

As for the methods, it is being chatted about as a genuine inclusion into the reference platform to allow some outputs to be ignored in gathering them up for a spend at the user's discretion.  I won't have to take any action for until I break open one of these contaminated wallets which may be years depending on how many more of them are molested.

I also just skimmed some info about ~retep's 'dust-be-gone' script so there is probably some reference code for identifying and dealing with such spam.

I'm finally working on building a bitcoind from source out in the ether so I can adapt to things quickly or (shudder) try to dick with things a bit myself.  Been putting it off for about a year now.

---

BTW...next post...

vga

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:00:55 AM

So when you spend them down to zero do you spend them by sending them to yourself at a different wallet address? Would this work to keep a wallet free of spam transactions?
Thank your for your help!
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:01:41 AM

You know what is (probably) really fucked about this?

Native bitcoind (as of 8.??) will allow me to spend my funds as soon as the blockchain has caught up with the inputs.  This is critical to me since I downloading the whole blockchain takes more than a whole month of my traffic quota and I pay $80/month for it.

Currently if I want to crack open a 2011 deep storage wallet contents I can still start from scratch and be going in a couple hours at worst.

I'll bet that this dust spam is going to ruin my ability here.  Whoever did this is now officially on my shit list.  I'll take a significant interest in seeing them suffer if the opportunity arises.

vga

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:14:38 AM
Last edit: February 12, 2014, 02:24:46 AM by vga

Will I still be able to receive funds to a wallet that has this unconfirmed transaction, or will I need to create a new one?
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:16:23 AM

So when you spend them down to zero do you spend them by sending them to yourself at a different wallet address? Would this work to keep a wallet free of spam transactions?
Thank your for your help!

Yes, when I break open a deep storage wallet, it is for the purposes of using the BTC.  I send them off to some combination of the exchanges I use (only Coinbase at the moment) and an on-line wallet service that I use (only blockchain.info at the moment.)  This helps me hedge my bets against loss since I normally string my sales out a bit.

I don't know enough about exactly what is going on yet to comment on the what effect leaving the dust out of a spend would have.

I actually don't have much reason other than philosophical ones to avoid whatever tracking might be being undertaken.  Almost all of my BTC came from Tradehill back in the day but for one I got from e-bay and a few from whatever-it-was.eu back in the first few weeks of my interest in the solution.  It pisses me off royally though that someone is doing this (to me...it wouldn't bother me nearly as much if it just happened to others Smiley )

If nothing else, I now have a good and personal reason to look toward whatever solutions promote privacy.

dyask

Activity: 854
Merit: 510

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 03:42:52 AM

Had this happen twice in the last 24 hours.  Neither transaction was ever confirmed and eventually they were deleted.   Original simultaneous intended transactions were dramatically slower than normal, though not sure it had anything to do with the spam sends. 

Had a mysterious double spend that failed and eventually went away as well...thinking it was part of the transaction malleability nonsense that's been going on.

I had a transaction from Coinbase that was stuck for 21 hours and when through to the wallet that was spammed with the 1 Santoshi!   That wallet was disconnected from my account so I have to go and ask the vender to credit my account manually!    Their software won't work with a wallet that has any unconfirmed transactions.   Royal pain in the butt all over 1 Santoshi.   
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: