Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:34:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many people have received random .00000001 transactions to their wallets?  (Read 14160 times)
jimhsu

Activity: 364
Merit: 264

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 03:32:21 AM

I'm guessing that if this isn't a marketing effort, it's an attempt to associate identity with addresses - if someone receives these and replies in the affirmative with an address, well there's a hit. I'm guessing the effect is also temporal in nature (i.e target addresses within a certain balance range, certain hash range, or of a certain age to try to capture hits where the intended target doesn't respond with a specific address). For this reason, I won't reply whether I received these transactions, or what type of addresses could have received them. All I can conclude is that not every address is targeted -- anyone can verify that my public address below has not received these transactions.

If people remember their history, this is sort of like cribbing as it applied back in WWII (now called a "known-plaintext attack"). In those days, the Allies made strenuous efforts to get Germans to produce messages with known content (i.e. location of a mine, or flying a spy plane in a particular trajectory), so that the Enigma cipher could be attacked.

Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparé
dyask

Activity: 854
Merit: 510

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 03:37:01 AM

I'm guessing that if this isn't a marketing effort, it's an attempt to associate identity with addresses - if someone receives these and replies in the affirmative with an address, well there's a hit. I'm guessing the effect is also temporal in nature (i.e target addresses within a certain balance range, or of a certain age to try to capture hits where the intended target doesn't respond with a specific address). For this reason, I won't reply whether I received these transactions, or what type of addresses could have received them.

If people remember their history, this is sort of like cribbing as it applied back in WWII (now called a "known-plaintext attack"). In those days, the Allies made strenuous efforts to get Germans to produce messages with known content (i.e. location of a mine, or flying a spy plane in a particular trajectory), so that the Enigma cipher could be attacked.

That seems possible ... in any case I transferred out of the wallet and am now using a new wallet.   Frankly I'm amazed that people so freely post public addresses.   I for one don't want people to know which wallet belongs to me.   
jimhsu

Activity: 364
Merit: 264

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 03:38:31 AM

I'm guessing that if this isn't a marketing effort, it's an attempt to associate identity with addresses - if someone receives these and replies in the affirmative with an address, well there's a hit. I'm guessing the effect is also temporal in nature (i.e target addresses within a certain balance range, or of a certain age to try to capture hits where the intended target doesn't respond with a specific address). For this reason, I won't reply whether I received these transactions, or what type of addresses could have received them.

That seems possible ... in any case I transferred out of the wallet and am now using a new wallet.   Frankly I'm amazed that people so freely post public addresses.   I for one don't want people to know which wallet belongs to me.   

Exactly the thing though -- from cursory checking of a few cases for other people's addresses, it seems like public addresses are not in fact targeted to the same extent (what with people reporting cold wallet "attacks"). Your public addresses are known; therefore, this seems like an attempt to map "private" to public addresses.

Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparé
grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 05:35:47 AM

Linking addresses requires you to spend these coins. As they will never be confirmed, you won't be spending them. So that is not the purpose (or if it was the purpose, it won't work).
technocoma

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 10:10:00 AM

Got lots of random ones across quite a few addresses. Wondered what they were.
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 10:27:05 AM

None have confirms, so when will they disappear from my wallets?
CryptoVortex

Activity: 34

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 11:48:18 AM

These transactions will confirm eventually.

They are almost certainly intended to defeat pseudonymity.  This is discussed extensively in other threads.  There is also  free software available to get rid of them, at least for bitcoin-qt.

With regards to the original question about how many people have received these, I think it might be easier to ask who has conducted a bitcoin transaction over the past week and has not received any gifts of this one-Satoshi-spam.  It seems that whomever is sending these is spamming the entire blockchain.

vga

Activity: 26

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 04:24:35 PM

Mine go away if I "Reset Blockchain and Transactions".
URSAY
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 05:13:17 PM

These transactions will confirm eventually.

No.  I believe they will disappear in many cases.
vmmo96

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 05:17:41 PM

hmm... Angry
technocoma

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 05:33:43 PM

I believe people were changing a setting on bitcoin-qt wallet to not include unconfirmed coins in the balance as a sort of work around.
gbgamer

Activity: 18

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 09:23:56 PM

not I, but would welcome a few of those  Smiley
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 11:34:33 PM

I got 2 of them.  F'in sh!t up!

that was how they spam network...

I did not get any Sad Tongue
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 05:56:55 AM

Didn't receive a single one.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
DubFX

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 10:35:57 AM

I did get it too.
Chellger

Activity: 50

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 12:10:32 PM

I join the club! 1enjoy showed up on my Mobilephone-Wallet yesterday. Kinda felt scary.
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:45:09 PM

Mother fucking these enjoy sochi spams are getting fucking annoying

ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:55:28 PM

Just got 2 of those to one of my wallets....interesting...

joae1975

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:48:16 PM

I moved the private keys of those wallets to another wallet so it doesn't bother me.

1PewuG8KZJUPK3CtvAkAs1Uw42rQgUv5Jk
Trance

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:59:22 PM

I've received many transactions with .000000000 literally showing nothing but advertising the Vanity address being sent from~

Some people are so poor ALL they have is money
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: