Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:26:59 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many people have received random .00000001 transactions to their wallets?  (Read 14160 times)
Jcw188

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Carpe Diem

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 12:31:04 AM

I received one of those before, but only to an address that I reused numerous times. Since then I make an effort to create a fresh address for every transaction.

I've heard a lot about this strategy lately. It seems really cumbersome to me making a new address for every transaction. Is there some service that let's you so this but keep the same log in info? 

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 01:52:26 AM

I received one of those before, but only to an address that I reused numerous times. Since then I make an effort to create a fresh address for every transaction.

I've heard a lot about this strategy lately. It seems really cumbersome to me making a new address for every transaction. Is there some service that let's you so this but keep the same log in info? 

Yeah, electrum does it

Faince1985

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 05:42:55 AM

Pretty good idea (without considering the ethicality) they actually got thousands of curious views for less than 0.01 BTC even excluding the empty wallets. Not a bad advertising idea.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 06:18:56 AM

Sounds like you're using blockchain.info.

It's not a good idea to use wallet services that encourage bad privacy and security behavior.
boymilk

Activity: 74

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 08:29:20 AM

This sort of anonymous donating has happened since 2010. Theymos even mentioned it as a problem back then. The developers have done various things over the years to try to fix these, but they never truly seem to go away.

The difference today is that these are now more than just annoying and, rather, malicious in nature since they are capable of publicly identifying owners of coin.

Gotta love this quote (emphasis mine):

I keep getting random influxes of BTC....five cents here, 1BTC there....I can only assume they're from people on the forums, as I know no one who uses bitcoins.  Thanks to whomever it may be.  I'd really like to know who.

Sure puts everything into perspective doesn't it? I'd lick dog poop for 1 BTC. Heck, I'd probably suck a cock just for 1 BTC. Dammit those early adopters sure had it easy back then. Wish I had a time machine.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 10:12:56 AM

Sure puts everything into perspective doesn't it? I'd lick dog poop for 1 BTC. Heck, I'd probably suck a cock just for 1 BTC. Dammit those early adopters sure had it easy back then. Wish I had a time machine.

It was worth like 2c. Very few people (myself included) had the foresight to buy at that price and why would we? There certainly wasn't the same hype around Bitcoin then (among the tiny community there was a little) and no one truly expected (some might claim it) that we would ever reach a valuation like this.

Anyway, you still technically one of the earlier adopters if the expectation that it will reach global acceptance is to be believed. Doesn't hurt to get in now for a bit and see where it goes.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 05:26:18 PM

It was worth like 2c. Very few people (myself included) had the foresight to buy at that price and why would we? There certainly wasn't the same hype around Bitcoin then (among the tiny community there was a little) and no one truly expected (some might claim it) that we would ever reach a valuation like this.

Anyway, you still technically one of the earlier adopters if the expectation that it will reach global acceptance is to be believed. Doesn't hurt to get in now for a bit and see where it goes.

I first saw BTC at ~5 cents (pre-Gox) and didn't seriously consider buying any. If I had found this forum back then things might be much different, but I somehow stumbled on a crude little site selling BTC for Paypal.
No regrets, the future starts now.  Smiley

Cyberdyne

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:55:46 AM

It was worth like 2c. Very few people (myself included) had the foresight to buy at that price and why would we?

Not just "why would we?" but also "How the fuck could we?". Even Gox wasn't around then so if you weren't mining them, it was damn near impossible to buy any, especially from within microscopic communities outside the US. Heck, back then you might have been the *only* person in your entire city to be interested in it, so even localbitcoins.com wouldn't have been practical.
bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 03:25:42 AM

There is a thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=458934 started by people receiving 1 satoshi from addresses beginning with "1Enjoy" and "1Sochi", but I just saw two transactions for .00000001 to my wallet from this address: 1Bhv6XjXBvraivcATHwwLMscZ5xJm9FsPn

there is a link to https://bitwars.org/ next to the address, so maybe just spam from a gambling site, but it seems fishy that all these small transactions are happening around the same time. Attack on the blockchain? dusting?

Check you wallet(s), how many people have received random deposits for .00000001?

I didn't received any such amount, I don't think it's an act of kindness rather just an attempt to spam the blockchain and what purpose would that solve? I have no idea. I do hope one day I open my wallet and receive like 1 btc.

wobengjjpym3687

Activity: 78

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:04:59 AM

If the launch, I will participate in.Keep up the good work.
Harley997

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:07:13 AM

There is a thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=458934 started by people receiving 1 satoshi from addresses beginning with "1Enjoy" and "1Sochi", but I just saw two transactions for .00000001 to my wallet from this address: 1Bhv6XjXBvraivcATHwwLMscZ5xJm9FsPn

there is a link to https://bitwars.org/ next to the address, so maybe just spam from a gambling site, but it seems fishy that all these small transactions are happening around the same time. Attack on the blockchain? dusting?

Check you wallet(s), how many people have received random deposits for .00000001?

It was just dustspam that never got confirmed by the blockchain. It was linked to a gambling site.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
zahra4571

Activity: 467

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 03:29:25 PM

Good advertising idea. Is this fixed on blockchain?

Harley997

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 12:41:31 AM

The TX were never confirmed and eventually fell out of the memory pool of the nodes.

I am not sure how effective it was in increasing sales, but I know that it did even make the news so the word defiantly get out.

PRIMEDICE
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 07:16:42 AM

The TX were never confirmed and eventually fell out of the memory pool of the nodes.

I am not sure how effective it was in increasing sales, but I know that it did even make the news so the word defiantly get out.

Well those coins ended up with the status of conflicted
It's good that the blockchain spam did stop eventually since it probably was not a good way to advertise their service.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
pastet89

Activity: 378
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 09:11:23 AM

Never happened to me.

Cryptostats.es
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 09:16:35 AM

Not just "why would we?" but also "How the fuck could we?". Even Gox wasn't around then so if you weren't mining them, it was damn near impossible to buy any, especially from within microscopic communities outside the US. Heck, back then you might have been the *only* person in your entire city to be interested in it, so even localbitcoins.com wouldn't have been practical.

IIRC, people were happy to do PayPal trades at the time (the community was less scammy in hindsight at the time) so that's how people managed to 'buy' them. That being said there were far more people (but still nothing in comparison to now) just trading stuff for them. But yeah the volume of trading then was literally nothing - far too new and experimental for all but a few to jump wholeheartedly in.
Harley997

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 05:09:58 PM

IIRC, people were happy to do PayPal trades at the time (the community was less scammy in hindsight at the time) so that's how people managed to 'buy' them. That being said there were far more people (but still nothing in comparison to now) just trading stuff for them. But yeah the volume of trading then was literally nothing - far too new and experimental for all but a few to jump wholeheartedly in.

People who were trading then were true believers in Bitcoin. Once the MSM started reporting on Bitcoin scammers got wind of the fact that you cannot reverse bitcoin transactions and took advantage of the fact that you could reverse paypal transactions.

PRIMEDICE
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 05:39:28 PM

I received two today, strange. how do they know my addresses? I kept them on Blockchain wallet, is blockchain hacked?

It must be like what's called a "brute-force attack" used by hackers to get at people's passwords. They just have their wallet send the one Satoshi to random Bitcoin addresses and hope they hit one that somebody is actually using. Does anybody know if anybody has actually tried something like that?
makebitcoin

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 05:43:57 PM

Never had this happen. I did get random transactions but I realised later they were from faucets Smiley
grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 03:40:13 PM

I received two today, strange. how do they know my addresses? I kept them on Blockchain wallet, is blockchain hacked?

It must be like what's called a "brute-force attack" used by hackers to get at people's passwords.

No need for any sort of "brute force" activity. All addresses that have ever been involved in a transaction are publicly recorded in the blockchain.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: