Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:59:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Eye Recognition the Future of Security?  (Read 130 times)
IndigoRed (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 04, 2018, 03:20:53 AM

Did you hear the news about Karna, a South Korean firm introducing a platform revolving around iris recognition? Called Airisu, the exchange-type platform is intended for digital currencies and other assets, and will use eye recognition to prevent any of these from being hacked or stolen.

And even in the US, iris scans seem to be taking over security checks. According this press release, iris information may be shared with the FBI as part of the Next Generation Identification program. Also, iris recognition technology can obtain a valid identity scan from virtually any suspect. The author says, “While fingerprints can be altered intentionally or worn down by jobs in industries such as agriculture, construction and manufacturing, iris patterns remain unchanged through a person’s life.”
Promising, right? I think it’s great they’re finding more efficient and accurate ways for establishing identity while securing our assets. What do you think about iris scans?

Source:
https://americansecuritytoday.com/iris-id-mentalix-partner-iris-identity-solution-law-enforcement/
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
July 04, 2018, 04:03:16 AM

“While fingerprints can be altered intentionally or worn down by jobs in industries such as agriculture, construction and manufacturing, iris patterns remain unchanged through a person’s life.”

"You wanna run that by me again?"

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 05:11:00 PM

I'm actually surprised it hasn't been more common, at least not it public. I can see private companies doing this. I worked for one where we take a thumb scan (for both thumbs) and photo every time we log in and out of the office.

“While fingerprints can be altered intentionally or worn down by jobs in industries such as agriculture, construction and manufacturing, iris patterns remain unchanged through a person’s life.”

Several years ago I saw a research on tv where they use a camera and attach it to the tip of the tongue to help blind people move around. Guess you can just stimulate the brain to elicit the sensation of seeing.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 05:26:57 PM

I thought it was the rhetina they scanned on those scanners?

Either way, they are much more difficult to alter as apposed to regular finger print scanning (you can't edit your finger prints to be like others though - you can only edit them to make them look different to the scanners so you don't get detected).

Several years ago I saw a research on tv where they use a camera and attach it to the tip of the tongue to help blind people move around. Guess you can just stimulate the brain to elicit the sensation of seeing.

Must get quite painful/dry if you have to keep your mouth open and your tongue sticking out a little?

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
July 08, 2018, 11:37:20 AM

Retina scanning isn't anything new, but it's certainly not mainstream yet. As our lives become more digital we will require more security to come along with it but advanced security seems slow to be adopted so far. I think several factors should be employed including fingerprints when logging into online banking or exchanges because it's far too easy to be hacked. People say fingerprints can be faked, and sure, they can, but it's very difficult and probably nigh on impossible without manual access to something someone has touched. I'm really not sure how some hacker at the other side of the world is going to get their hands on my fingerprints either. To log onto exchanges etc I think there should be some sort of external device that requires you to use your fingerprint. You could also have voice recognition and retina scanning to add more hoops to jump through. Those combined with a good old fashioned password or another two factor authentication device should make things pretty secure. The more factors of authentication there is the harder it makes it for hackers and at the moment my online banking is very weak. All it requires is a password and anyone can send money from my account. "Suspicious" payments sometimes get an automatic call or text asking me to merely say "yes" or "no" but there are rare and I'm not sure what actually quantifies as a suspicious payment either. I've spent over $1000 before and received nothing, whereas I've spent a few hundred and got the call. Basically it would be very easy to send money out and online crypto exchanges are probably much less secure hence why we need much better security because if your coins get stolen there's almost nothing you can do about it and no bank to step in to bail you out and return the funds.
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
July 08, 2018, 06:34:40 PM

I thought it was the rhetina they scanned on those scanners?

Either way, they are much more difficult to alter as apposed to regular finger print scanning (you can't edit your finger prints to be like others though - you can only edit them to make them look different to the scanners so you don't get detected).

Must get quite painful/dry if you have to keep your mouth open and your tongue sticking out a little?

I tried to look up the tech again. It seems it's not about to go mainstream any time soon but it was good that it seem they are still trying to improve it.

People stick electrodes into brains anyway, would be nice if the visual parts can be directly stimulated so that the blind can see. Would be of help to those whose blindness can't be corrected by eye surgery.

This is an old vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNkw28fz9u0 but I'm still seeing newer articles about it when I googled so I'm assuming work is still ongoing.

ani4

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 02:33:57 PM

only if it is decentralized and completely apart from the LEGAL babylonian dystopia that so many seem to want to create

there are many efforts right now in the crypto-space working to solve the issue of self-sovereign identity systems that are decentralized and allow you to control your data/what is claimed+shared.

https://jamespflynn.com/2018/03/01/kuwa-a-decentralized-pseudo-anonymous-and-sybil-resistant-individual-identification-system/

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7966966/

https://cryptoubi.org/

http://www.resilience.me/

I think it's fine using biometrics, just not if it is in the traditional/Legal system. When you attach your living presence with the system of the dead (Legal/Babylon), that is the mark of the beast. Fiat is TENDER FOR LAW... but so is claiming a Legal Name that you did not author. Handing over jurasdiction to them is the way the whole game works.
Impulseboy

Activity: 196
Merit: 4

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 12:45:45 AM

I'm actually surprised it hasn't been more common, at least not it public. I can see private companies doing this. I worked for one where we take a thumb scan (for both thumbs) and photo every time we log in and out of the office.

I was about to say what about the blind people if retina scans are to be made public, but I guess attaching a camera to the tip of their tongue makes sense. And yes, I have worked with a company as well where we have to take a thumb scan every time we log in or out of the office. The problem however is it still sometimes take time before the scanner recognizes your thumb print.
criza

Activity: 574
Merit: 108

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 02:02:36 PM

I think that eye recognition is better than the finger print sensor that we are commonly using nowadays. It is for the reason that finger prints would most likely worn out by heavy works over time, unlike iris identity of our eye, it doesn't change. If eye recognition will only strengthen and improving our security then it could be. However, aside from its advantages above anything else, we should not forget to study about its disadvantages and how to handle it. Because no matter how secure its is, if its disadvantages cannot be given a proper treatment and attention, still, its great function will not be maximized.

[   B E S T   C H A N G E   ]      Best Rates For Exchanging Cryptocurrency
●              ►              Buy bitcoin with credit card  ✓              ◄              ●
FACEBOOK                TWITTER                INSTAGRAM                TELEGRAM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: