Bitcoin Forum
October 01, 2024, 09:16:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: So, how many do you have stuck in there..?
0 - 24 (55.8%)
<1 - 6 (14%)
2-10 - 4 (9.3%)
11-50 - 3 (7%)
51-100 - 2 (4.7%)
101-250 - 1 (2.3%)
251-500 - 2 (4.7%)
501-1000 - 1 (2.3%)
1001+ - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 43

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How many Bitcoins do you have stuck in GOX???  (Read 825 times)
oOoOo (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:46:42 AM

It is one thing if a known drug-dealer website (s/d) is seized and your coins lost. If you had your coins there, you were just stupid! However, MtGox is one of the most reputable sites and has also been the biggest exchange, by far, for years.

Their security is (was?) superb, with customizable google-auth, keycards and yubikeys, a lot of people trusted Gox more than they would have trusted themselves with securing their own shitty home pcs. Despite being the biggest exchange, Gox have not been hacked since 2011 even though they were an obvious target. This alone made them more trustworthy.

Now with gox being consumed with internal problems, and most recently also "halting" all BTC withdrawals, placing your trust in them might have been a misjudgement. Yes, the "warning signs" were there, but in context, they were no more severe than those you heard from other BTC related exchanges. Up until june last year you could perfectly deposit and withdraw BTC and fiat (if you were European), therefore all troubles were assumed to be only temporary, and soon to be fixed.
This no longer appears to be the case...

So, how many coins do you have stuck in there..?
rat

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 08:08:19 AM

dude. that place was never safe.

and how do you know about the hacks? they are liars, and not forthcoming about anything.

withdrawals have always been retarded, and customer service was always a fucking joke.

and there may be more damage down the road from all the btc they gave away to scammers via their shitty wallet software.

where the fuck have you been?

all the exchanges are shit. unregulated fucktards are handling billions.
Antonioz

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 08:49:40 AM

when I got into crypto in december I was looking on how to buy bitcoins, I was undecided between gox and coinbase, I did some research and found that gox had problems and technical issues, so I decided to use coinbase, now I'm glad of my choice
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1014

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 10:16:09 AM

Dont store coins/usd on any exchange. Its the wild west.

btc4ever

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 10:26:22 AM

0.    See my sig.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: