Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:21:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin mining at work  (Read 11874 times)
Bitcoin stage (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:46:09 PM

Hey guys.

Hope to get som help here.

I have a question regarding Bitcoin mining and what it does to the internet speed or switches/routers etc. when it is connected to the internet.?

My question is to be more specific. Is it safe to install a PC at work and plugin the Lan network connection(internet) and start bitcoin mining there ?? ( Free power :O) )

I am bit nervous because 6 years ago i got fired because I took my computer at work and use the internet connection for ( bittorrent )  They had a very nice download speed :O)  But bittorents sends very small packets and they fucked up the companys Switches and routers. So they found my pc on the net.. NOT A GOOD situation for me.  Stupid me   Wink

Thats why i need to be sure that bitcion mining is not like bittorrent..

hope any one can clear my question.

Thanks

Stage

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:53:27 PM

Mining uses very little internet bandwidth, so that should not be a problem.

The power usage could be though. You now say "free power", but in the end someone has to pay for the power used by your mining machine. And that someone may not be happy that you've been trying to earn money while he has to pay for it.

Also, I hope that you're not intending to mine Bitcoin with a regular PC. Either mine altcoins or use an ASIC. Mining Bitcoin on a regular PC is pointless.
minzie

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 02:16:59 PM

As far as I know, solo mining incurs a very small bandwidth hit. There are some other threads here that might help.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=87509.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=268679.0

Not that it is any of my business what you do, but I think your life experience shows what happens when you try to take advantage of your employer.

Professional Freelance Web Apps Engineer ° Portfolio °  ModoBot Automated Trading Platform ° BitThingy ° My Github  ° Skype: cclites_1
Bitcoin stage (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 04:25:49 PM

Hi all.

Thanks for your comments.. First i have to point out that i am not A thief. I just want to use the same pc/laptop that i use to work on ( my boss) is not paying ekstra because i am Working on it anyway the day long. So you still with me??? Sorry for misunderstanding me.

I just wanted to be sure that i didn't lag the whole network in our Company by mining bitcoin.

But as i Can read of your comments. Is it pointless because it has no hardware power like A good grafic card.

But Thanks again for your comments and for clarifying some issues for me.

/stage
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 04:43:04 PM

Thanks for your comments.. First i have to point out that i am not A thief. I just want to use the same pc/laptop that i use to work on ( my boss) is not paying ekstra because i am Working on it anyway the day long. So you still with me??? Sorry for misunderstanding me.

There is a huge difference in power usage between a machine that's just idling while running a browser / office software / mail program / etc... and a mining machine. Modern machines are very well optimized in reducing power usage during low-intensity work. So it's not like the machine being on makes it okay to just fully load it with mining software.
Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 05:10:53 PM

Hi all.

I just wanted to be sure that i didn't lag the whole network in our Company by mining bitcoin.

But as i Can read of your comments. Is it pointless because it has no hardware power like A good grafic card.

But Thanks again for your comments and for clarifying some issues for me.

/stage

Oh you aren't a thief, you just post on here to find out if your network traffic would be enough to get caught.

Get caught doing what?  Stealing from your employer!
Bitcoin stage (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:41:55 PM

There is a huge difference in power usage between a machine that's just idling while running a browser / office software / mail program / etc... and a mining machine. Modern machines are very well optimized in reducing power usage during low-intensity work. So it's not like the machine being on makes it okay to just fully load it with mining software.

I get your point. I just thought the computer was using the same amount of power anyway. So my moral said that i was ok. because I was using the pc anyway, Therefore I wanted to be sure that "his" network would not broke down because of Mining. That was the hole issue.

well not anyone understod my question exactly instead they called me a thief.  Smiley thanks anyway Guys !!

vpasic

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:02:51 AM

internet traffic is at least of your problem there.

as far as I can see here you don't have anything to mine with.
don't tell me that your laptop is only thing you have to mine with???
if you didn't notice, you can't mine with laptop or any other average desktop.
you need mining rig with couple of gpu-s in it to mine some scrypt coins or ASIC miner for btc mining.

Tips: 1Ejj8eANy2PLZVwrWUczkbQ8kQY2JhKqp6
BeataTX91

Activity: 50

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 07:08:46 AM

Sounds more like a moral problem to me, since it does not make any sense to mine with a regular PC.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: