Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 02:38:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about blockchain size  (Read 550 times)
KeyserSoze (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 04:33:53 PM

I'm curious about the effect of these malleable transaction rebroadcasts on the blockchain size. These rebroadcasts stay on the blockchain forever like any other transaction, right? If there were many folks who rebroadcast would the future blockchain grow exponentially with each actor or can a transaction only be rebroadcast once (effectively doubling the blockchain for future transactions)?

I used to day trade Bitcoin successfully. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 05:19:04 PM

Only one of the broadcasted transactions will make it to the blockchain. The malleable copies stay in the memory pool of miners for a while until they are deleted to make way for new transactions. Nothing to worry about.
KeyserSoze (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 05:25:41 PM

Only one of the broadcasted transactions will make it to the blockchain.

Thank you.

I used to day trade Bitcoin successfully. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 04:06:12 PM

Only one of the broadcasted transactions will make it to the blockchain. The malleable copies stay in the memory pool of miners for a while until they are deleted to make way for new transactions. Nothing to worry about.

Shouldn't the miners drop the malleable copies immediately upon receiving a solved block that spends the same inputs?
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 04:57:33 PM

Shouldn't the miners drop the malleable copies immediately upon receiving a solved block that spends the same inputs?

Not just miners, for everybody. Once UXTOs are spent in a blockchain-included transaction, any other transaction spending them are invalid. All non-useable transactions will be flushed upon receipt of the new block.

The blockchain only contains blocks, which are the accepted version of transactions that will likely be permanent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: