Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:16:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you switch your mined coins to USDT immediately or do you HODL?  (Read 373 times)
HOLDERNEWSOFFICIAL (OP)

Activity: 64
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 08:59:22 AM

Hi miners!
I'm quite curious about one thing.
Do you guys switch your mined coins to USDT immediately or do you guys HODL?
Which strategy should I choose?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 09:08:35 AM

I am pretty sure that most people here haven't ROI'd their GPUs so they most likely sell everyday into USD/USDT until they break-even and after that maybe they will hodl.

I think that since most BTC is actually mined in places like China, more of that gets HODL'd than sold daily.

Coins like ZEC or ETH where most people are mining with GPUs around the world, they most likely sell their mined coins daily so they can pay electricity costs and pay off their 1080TI's GPUs.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 09:47:10 AM

Considerations to cover expenses like paying electricity and other bills are more likely more secured to convert the coins mined immediately

but in the long run, playing them thru trading will make some juice out of it

If and only If you know how to read charts and do TA's

leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 09:57:14 AM

I personally instantly sell off my coins to USD every time I get a payment from my mining pool. When I'm mining I like to pay off electrical bills as quickly as possible, and I don't mix my trading money with my mining money. When I'm mining and haven't broken even yet I want to get exactly what I mined, no less, so my break even times don't fluctuate as much. Really just depends if you are okay with taking a risk in HODLing and selling or going with the less risky route of instantly selling (which I take). I'm ROIed on most of my rigs, but I'll probably start doing a 50/50 of selling and HODLing after all my rigs have broken even to mix things up a little bit.
boulderchain

Activity: 59
Merit: 5

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 10:46:53 AM

Why do you want to trade it for USDT? Currently I am holding my the coins which I mine, otherwise I wouldn't make profit. It's just a convenient way to get some crypto and I am only mining interesting and promising projects, not the ones with the highest ROI.

And even if I would trade them instantly, I would use BTC instead of USDT.

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅[Airdrop]✈✈✈ (https://privcy.io/)
HOLDERNEWSOFFICIAL (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 04:25:27 AM

Why do you want to trade it for USDT? Currently I am holding my the coins which I mine, otherwise I wouldn't make profit. It's just a convenient way to get some crypto and I am only mining interesting and promising projects, not the ones with the highest ROI.

Isn't buying the coin directly form the market more convenient?
Why do you choose to mine them instead?
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 08:43:42 AM

Some folks aren't inclined on doing market buying coins, most are hobbyist and tech guys who are happy seeing rigs like baby's

A satisfaction that aren't in the field of marketplace

some are proud to support the network
HOLDERNEWSOFFICIAL (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 09:00:35 AM

Some folks aren't inclined on doing market buying coins, most are hobbyist and tech guys who are happy seeing rigs like baby's

Got it,
This is quite a informative insight to me Cheesy
boulderchain

Activity: 59

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 05:43:52 AM

He is right. It is more fun to mine some coins and it's a good way to avoid some small suspicious exchanges. New coins are not often listed on your favorites exchanges.

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅[Airdrop]✈✈✈ (https://privcy.io/)
preda

Activity: 756
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 05:50:02 AM

I am pretty sure that most people here haven't ROI'd their GPUs so they most likely sell everyday into USD/USDT until they break-even and after that maybe they will hodl.

I think that since most BTC is actually mined in places like China, more of that gets HODL'd than sold daily.

Coins like ZEC or ETH where most people are mining with GPUs around the world, they most likely sell their mined coins daily so they can pay electricity costs and pay off their 1080TI's GPUs.

sadly there is who is mining eth with 1080ti lol 50mh what a waste of beautiful card.. there are so many algo which 1080ti does better than ethash
jperser

Activity: 51

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 06:45:05 PM

I got into mining August 2017.  After researching and working on a business model, I found the margins were too small for me to make it a successful business.  I convinced my wife that this will be a hobby.  I bought a used Bitmain S3 and built a multi-GPU rig.  The plan was to reinvest the mined coins.

By December 2017, I mined enough coins to start a Zencash Secure node https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2047435.0.  Since January 2018, I have been mining and exchanging to Solaris (XLR) coins in order to start a masternode https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1831629.0.  I have been experimenting with staking XLR in an Unbuntu wallet.  Recently I found that Luxcoin (LUX) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2422372 that is profitable to mine and also supports staking.

Here is the interesting part, 1/3 of my weekly coin acquisition comes from the wallets, and 2/3 from the CPU/GPU miners.  Coins that I mined and HODL are at their Oct 2017 price.

HORIZEN ►►► Bringing Privacy To Life | https://horizen.global/
Bulitt

Activity: 108
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 07:14:27 PM

I mine for a while and I wait for BTC or LTC to go down versus the coin Im mining then I exchange a week or two's worth of coins at a more opportune time.

Really to "lock in" the HODL value of mining you want to try to accumulate BTC rather than USDT. USDT is only an option if the coin you are mining is declining in value consistently. In the end the satoshi value of an altcoin is the price you need to watch when mining. USDT is more useful to store value of a coin if its experiencing wild fluctuations. Sell high wait for the price to swing down and re-buy to gain more to sell at the next swing up.

Keep in mind that I also HODL a certain percentage of everything I mine permanently. One to two weeks worth gets kept in the wallet just incase it moons.
lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 07:22:24 PM

It's very simple. In a bull market hold your coins. In a bear market sell them for usdt.

Those that hodl their coins in 1st half of 2018 got rekt. Those that didn't hodl their coins in 2017 got rekt.

As for me I don't care as much. My rigs are paid off by holding most of my coins i bought in early 2017 and I use my normal day job to pay electric every month. I'm probably in the negative due to this but I'll wait till next bull run in 2 to 3 years before I sell.
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 07:51:49 PM

When I was still in the mining game I tended to hold my mined crypto if it was some well recognized and high trade volume coin. When I mined some new coins I tried to switch them to ETH or BTC as soon as the pump begun (usually you have this pump when the coin hits the exchange).

Iamtutut

Activity: 1120
Merit: 131

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 08:10:10 PM

Then I'm the exception. Haven't sold one single mined coin for FIAT.
Bought 3 RX570 (<800€) + X470 mobo (140€) + Ryzen 2400G (130€) + 8GB RAM (80€). Gonna buy some FPGA accelerators, maybe vega 64 will be 500-1K€ more in "negative".
Xazax310

Activity: 246
Merit: 24

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 08:35:46 PM

It's very simple. In a bull market hold your coins. In a bear market sell them for usdt.

Those that hodl their coins in 1st half of 2018 got rekt. Those that didn't hodl their coins in 2017 got rekt.

As for me I don't care as much. My rigs are paid off by holding most of my coins i bought in early 2017 and I use my normal day job to pay electric every month. I'm probably in the negative due to this but I'll wait till next bull run in 2 to 3 years before I sell.

Very true my friend, I think too many got into "This will go higher" Mentality, not thinking of the crash. IMHO it's best to sell some of your coins for profit when the markets are at ATL. Don't ever panic sell when they are at their ATL. In a market like now, its best to trade coins When they are high against BTC, then when BTC domainance grows, trade back. you'll end up holding more coins than if you just HODLed them.
Micheals231

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 09:11:23 PM

What i do is trade it to eth or btc and hodl, and i believe that's the best option
bitrpc.com

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 02:06:12 AM

We do what Michaels231 suggested, and we advise the same to most newbies Wink. However in the past week, it may be better to sell for USDT unless you think we're going up from here.
AIO Inc
Copper Member

Activity: 62
Merit: 2

AIOMiner.com

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2018, 02:13:50 AM

Hi miners!

I definitely keep what I mine. Prices will definitely come back and rise higher than they did before. It's just what happens in new industries getting their footing. So in my opinion you're definitely better off keeping what you mine, but make sure that it's a project worth keeping if you do.
lunobird

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 02:39:20 AM

If you mined btg or btcp or any shitcoin these past 6 months then you suffered a 10x loss. Best to sell them by December and rebuy back 1 month later so you can report losses on taxes
realaccountakira

Activity: 182
Merit: 11

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 03:06:11 AM

Above post is actually a great example of why you should just HODL. I just think he got his first sentence mixed up.

Your mining business plan should take into consideration the electric costs because holding and selling in a BULL market is the way to make decent profits here. I mine, convert to, and hold Bitcoin and Ethereum knowing that a few years from now, the values of these coins will surely rise.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
nsummy

Activity: 1179

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 03:43:10 AM

You have it backward.  Sell in a bull market, hold in a bear market.  If you held your coins in the 1st half of 2018 you didn't get wrecked.  The idiots that sold everything when the price plummeted got wrecked.
nsummy

Activity: 1179

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 03:46:07 AM

I think if OP would have asked this question in December he would have gotten different responses Smiley  Personally right now I sell my altcoins at pretty regular intervals but am holding the bitcoin.  If/when bitcoin reaches 10k ill probably sell some off.  I am also holding eth, zcoin, Shield, and Intensecoin as I think they will all rise.  I don't have faith that most current altcoins that are popular will rise.  A reoccuring theme with a lot of these are masternodes.  At first there is a lot of demand, but that plummets
lunobird

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 06:20:17 AM

You have it backward.  Sell in a bull market, hold in a bear market.  If you held your coins in the 1st half of 2018 you didn't get wrecked.  The idiots that sold everything when the price plummeted got wrecked.

Ya let me rephrase that. I meant to say sell at the later end stage of the bull run and hold if your already too deep many months into the bear trend. Play the larger market cycles

I personally don't sell any coins i mine until I get a 10x return. Anything less then that doesn't interest me

treanski

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

ONe Social Network.

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 07:10:30 AM

Hi miners!

since i paid of my hardware im hodling everything for few years or till the next big bullrun Grin

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: