Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:12:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Coinbase Custody the Answer to Crypto Exchange Security?  (Read 104 times)
FXTradingPro (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2018, 05:58:43 PM

Coinbase Custody just started accepting deposits from Institutional Investors. Is this the answer to all the security problems plaguing the crypto exchanges?

https://forexmarketslive.com/is-coinbase-custody-the-answer-to-crypto-exchange-security/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 06:08:42 PM

not really

the whole concept of bitcoin was not to lock funds into addresses where someone else has the private keys/permission to move funds. your suppose to keep funds in your own private key accessed addresses away from third party services.

but if you are going to put funds into exchanges then thos exchanges should atleast have banking licences and insurances to look after the funds and repay users of losses should those third parties 'get hacked'

really funny part is that coinbase is just saying it does cold wallets for a high % of its holdings and has hot wallets for smaller reserves... stupid part is, this is something i was telling exchanges to do as far back as 2012 when i first got involved in. and now coinbase is preaching it like it some big seurity feature.
exchanges using cold wallets should have ALWAYS bn minimum standard featur. nothing special.. just the minimal requirement.
as for the need of a hot wallet, even thats not needed if they were smart enough..

all in all i dont see much thats unique and special thats ben highlightd in that article about coinbase. apart from theem chest thumping like alpha male gorilla's that they are taking in larger institution amounts. so to me its just a publicity stunt

what coinbase should be doing is showing transparency about its FIAT.. something institutions really care about. and then as a separate thing. advice USERS how to SELF protect their crypto by taking it out from exchanges.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
tombola_official
Copper Member

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2018, 06:33:34 PM

not really

the whole concept of bitcoin was not to lock funds into addresses where someone else has the private keys/permission to move funds. your suppose to keep funds in your own private key accessed addresses away from third party services.

but if you are going to put funds into exchanges then thos exchanges should atleast have banking licences and insurances to look after the funds and repay users of losses should those third parties 'get hacked'

really funny part is that coinbase is just saying it does cold wallets for a high % of its holdings and has hot wallets for smaller reserves... stupid part is, this is something i was telling exchanges to do as far back as 2012 when i first got involved in. and now coinbase is preaching it like it some big seurity feature.
exchanges using cold wallets should have ALWAYS bn minimum standard featur. nothing special.. just the minimal requirement.
as for the need of a hot wallet, even thats not needed if they were smart enough..

all in all i dont see much thats unique and special thats ben highlightd in that article about coinbase. apart from theem chest thumping like alpha male gorilla's that they are taking in larger institution amounts. so to me its just a publicity stunt

what coinbase should be doing is showing transparency about its FIAT.. something institutions really care about. and then as a separate thing. advice USERS how to SELF protect their crypto by taking it out from exchanges.
Thanks Sir
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: