View Profile
September 29, 2011, 01:26:06 AM
Last edit: June 01, 2016, 02:55:57 AM by CoinHumper

delete

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
johnj

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 01:57:25 AM

I agree that if anyone wanted to know anything about Solidcoin, a brief search here or on Google would give all the information they could desire.

Though I'm guilty as well of getting involved in heated discussions, I've enjoyed the (relative) calmness of this alt-currency board recently. Despite the recent hiccups,  I hope the calmness can continue.

More discussion, less noise!

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
Lupus_Yonderboy

Activity: 153

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 03:11:54 AM

None of the alt coins bring anything innovative to the game, none of them are the next big thing. If any of them were, then their price vs. bitcoin would increase when bitcoin falls in the broader markets. This doesn't happen.

BTW, you may not realize it, but Tenebrix was created by a kid in Eastern Europe that has limited/no access to modern gpu hardware. The algorithm was written by an fpga expert and it runs very well on fpgas (shockingly) and not so well on gpus. Creator of Tenebrix also gifted himself 7.7 million coins to begin with. There are less Bitcoins in existence than that. It will take the Tenebrix network 3 years to catch up. Do what you want, but any actual money you spend on his chains ultimately lines his pockets.

Ignore users as you wish, but the truth comes out of dissenting voices, not the fanbois. It took somebody reading the blockchains and posting about it before it was admitted that 7.7 million coins were premined.

ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 03:21:31 AM

The algorithm was written by an fpga expert and it runs very well on fpgas (shockingly) and not so well on gpus.
Hey, that's news to me, so far my math and synthesis attempts say it'll suck on FPGAs, too. (wow, a algorithm designed to be expensive on specialized hardware ends up expensive on specialized hardware).
so... [citation needed] or stop spreading FUD.

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
Lupus_Yonderboy

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 03:49:10 AM

The algorithm was written by an fpga expert and it runs very well on fpgas (shockingly) and not so well on gpus.
Hey, that's news to me, so far my math and synthesis attempts say it'll suck on FPGAs, too. (wow, a algorithm designed to be expensive on specialized hardware ends up expensive on specialized hardware).

Hmm and here I thought you had the necessary skills to efficiently program fpgas to solve blocks using an algorithm you wrote. My apologies. There are a handful of people on this board with the knowledge and equipment to try and implement this on FPGAs. I am not one of them and therefore must concede the point. The rest of what I wrote is true.
Lupus_Yonderboy

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 04:04:31 AM

None of the alt coins bring anything innovative to the game, none of them are the next big thing. If any of them were, then their price vs. bitcoin would increase when bitcoin falls in the broader markets. This doesn't happen.

BTW, you may not realize it, but Tenebrix was created by a kid in Eastern Europe that has limited/no access to modern gpu hardware. The algorithm was written by an fpga expert and it runs very well on fpgas (shockingly) and not so well on gpus. Creator of Tenebrix also gifted himself 7.7 million coins to begin with. There are less Bitcoins in existence than that. It will take the Tenebrix network 3 years to catch up. Do what you want, but any actual money you spend on his chains ultimately lines his pockets.

Ignore users as you wish, but the truth comes out of dissenting voices, not the fanbois. It took somebody reading the blockchains and posting about it before it was admitted that 7.7 million coins were premined.

Prime example of what I am talking about. This is a blatant attempt to create controversy by stating known falsehoods. The 7 million coins were widely known about by simply reading the threads here. No surprise it's Lupus_Yonderboy, an SC Troll alter ego of CH.

ArtForz, this is nothing but bait to engage you.

Everybody click below to make Yonderboy go away.  Cool
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=ignore;u=17328;

PS: If it were in fact created by a kid in Eastern Europe with limited resources, I'm impressed! You make it sound like being young, innovative and successful with no resources is bad?Huh??

1st off, SC and CH can die in a fire, slowly. The 7.7 million coins were admitted to after the fact, had you read the threads. Who's sock puppet are you, newbie with 10 posts that goes straight to the alt chains forum? Tired of bitcoin so soon? hmmmm.... Roll Eyes
ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 04:54:41 AM

Hmm and here I thought you had the necessary skills to efficiently program fpgas to solve blocks using an algorithm you wrote. My apologies. There are a handful of people on this board with the knowledge and equipment to try and implement this on FPGAs. I am not one of them and therefore must concede the point. The rest of what I wrote is true.

Wait, what? an algorithm *I* designed?

Rule #1 of cryptography: do not design your own algorithms.

What I did was modify multicoin to make replacing the block PoW hashing function easier, then plugged in scrypt (http://www.tarsnap.com/scrypt.html) with parameters of N=1024, p=1, r=1, feeding in the block header as password and salt, output size of 32 bytes.

While those parameters would be way too low for a good password hashing/key derivation function (you want lots of margin for the future there), my initial educated guess and further experiments suggest they're still enough to "pessimize" current GPUs and FPGAs to a point where CPUs will easily be competitive... GPUs growing several MB of fast random access on-chip memory in the future might change that.

And yes, choosing such "unusual" parameters is skirting the rule, but in this case imo acceptable risk. Worst case... someone manages to make a "efficient enough" GPU/FPGA/... implementation or a new gen of GPUs comes out, scheduled chain fork switching to higher N and p. Up to N=4096,p=8,r=1 or so time to verify the PoW hash on a CPU shouldn't be an issue, beyond that you'd have to add some measures to prevent "junk block spam" DoS.

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
Lupus_Yonderboy

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 05:11:48 AM

Lupus,

You are trying to speak as a technical expert then admit you are not and do not even understand it. So basically you are simply spewing things you read or were told in an attempt to create a controversy and add nothing meaningful. That is the text book definition of trolling.

My goal is to help clean up this forum. Your known troll post will be reported every time.

Everyone else, please do not hesitate to report trolls. The reason they roam so freely here is because this board is so massive and they never get noticed by mods.

Let's make'em famous.

1. I admitted to ArtForz that I am not competent enough in his field to make a statement like that. Conceding a point isn't trolling.

2. The mods are hardcore libertarians. It goes against their core beliefs to censor just about anything. It is not that they don't see what happens, it is their (mainly) hands off approach to moderating. You are of course invited to click the ignore button, and blindly go through your world surrounded only by those who agree with you. It seems to be a rather common occurrence on here to label someone you disagree with as a troll, so much that the label is completely overblown. It truly does not matter what you call me. Or if you ignore me. I will still continue to argue my side of a point if I feel I am correct. If you ignore me, you won't be able to refute anything I say, so go ahead and click ignore, it only makes winning easier Grin

Lupus,

Since I anticipated being called a sock puppet that's why I made full disclosure that I like TBX in the OP. I have never mined Bitcoins and just started watching these forums a few months ago. I have mined all of the Alt Coins though.

The Alt Forums are the only thing I have interest in, that's why I am here. I think you should be pleased I have nominated you for a "7 day trolling ban" and backed it up with several cited proofs. I am extremely familiar with the Alt Forums, that's why I called you out in the OP. Your post here are "Proof of Work" LOL.

Of course you anticpated being called a sock puppet. It is obvious you are one. I don't buy that you lurked for *months* and then suddenly decided to start posting in the alt chains forum. Nothing to do with bitcoins, yet have mined all the alt coins...that can only be exchanged for bitcoins.

None of the alt coins offer significant improvements over Bitcoin. Your interests are your own, but unless you are designing the next ScamCoin, there isn't much that the alt coins have to offer.

Banning really is not a concern of mine. I have had rather lively discussions with a few people who are slightly higher on the local totem pole than you, and somehow survived. Also, if you truly are a newbie to the forums, then you will be given all due deference. If your word is suddenly given an untoward amount of weight, well then, we know you aren't as shiny and new as you claim to be.

Lupus_Yonderboy

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 05:13:00 AM

Wait, what? an algorithm *I* designed?

Rule #1 of cryptography: do not design your own algorithms.

What I did was modify multicoin to make replacing the block PoW hashing function easier, then plugged in scrypt (http://www.tarsnap.com/scrypt.html) with parameters of N=1024, p=1, r=1, feeding in the block header as password and salt, output size of 32 bytes.

While those parameters would be way too low for a good password hashing/key derivation function (you want lots of margin for the future there), my initial educated guess and further experiments suggest they're still enough to "pessimize" current GPUs and FPGAs to a point where CPUs will easily be competitive... GPUs growing several MB of fast random access on-chip memory in the future might change that.

And yes, choosing such "unusual" parameters is skirting the rule, but in this case imo acceptable risk. Worst case... someone manages to make a "efficient enough" GPU/FPGA/... implementation or a new gen of GPUs comes out, scheduled chain fork switching to higher N and p. Up to N=4096,p=8,r=1 or so time to verify the PoW hash on a CPU shouldn't be an issue, beyond that you'd have to add some measures to prevent "junk block spam" DoS.

You didn't write it? I stand corrected a second time. Again, I apologize. Thank you for the education and explanation.
Spacy

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 06:07:48 AM

So let me summarize: You as noob prefer the crap client with 7Mio+ premined coins...  Grin
Spacy

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 06:36:10 AM

So let me summarize: You as noob prefer the crap client with 7Mio+ premined coins...  Grin

Excellent primary school comprehension skills!

I'm not in this for profit or even to make money. I am in this as a hobby, to learn a few things and have fun.
So yes, I like the CPU exclusiveness.

It seems to me that if you just didn't like TBX you would simply not use it. It appears you have an agenda. Why are you so against it?

He premined 7.7Mio coins. That's about 3 years of mining at average spead... So after 3 years (Bitcoin doesn't even exist so long) the community still has onle 50% of the coins, that would be a fix 50% tax if you calculate with 3 years... And he only admitted the primined coins after someone found it on the blockchain. So where is the fish?

You should learn about the other alternative cryptocurrencies, and why most of them failed. Then add the 7.7M premined coins, and think again.

But I think I am not educating a newb... I think you are just one of the early adopters of this StartChain-Dump-Profit-Scam, and so you want to attract other noobs to join and lose their real money!

Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 07:07:41 AM

runs very well on fpgas (shockingly)

Yawn

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
Spacy

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 07:11:04 AM

Tenebrix was the first alt-currency to use a CPU only. It is a pioneer no matter how many copy cats come after it.

SolidCoin did publish the idea earlier, and also the private beta client was published earlier. But you are right, Lolcust managed to publish a crap public client  earlier ;-)

Once again, let's clean up this forum by ignoring them and  anything/everything Pro or Con Solidcoin.

This will stop 99% of the trash.

Interested in the tech aspect.

The politics are meaningless.

You just disqualified yourself. Why would someone, who ist just interested in the tech aspect, try to get others to ignore alternative chains with new technical aspects?

Your initial post and this whole thread smells just fishy, but intelligent people will recognize it.
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 07:13:09 AM

You should learn about the other alternative cryptocurrencies, and why most of them failed

Care to list the "failed" ones ? Even i0 is alive (if not particularly healthy, and the poor thing wasn't even pre-mined)

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
Lupus_Yonderboy

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 02:53:14 PM

Just one minor problem, the account is less than 72 hours old.

We have some lovely parting gifts for you behind door #2. Thank you ever so much for playing.

Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 04:10:49 PM

Yawn. Ze pot thickens.

Feed the Lolcust!
Lupus_Yonderboy

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 05:42:24 PM

Just one minor problem, the account is less than 72 hours old.

We have some lovely parting gifts for you behind door #2. Thank you ever so much for playing.

I'm not real sure why you want to attack me so viciously.

Pointing out the facts is hardly a vicious attack. In fact, you attacked me first. The only alt coins I have had an issue with enough to be vocal about are the LolCoins, and yet according to you all I do in the alt chains forum is stir up controversy. Had you kept my name out of your mouth, I would have ignored you completely. Hmmm, I guess you sucessfully trolled me, it seems.

Yes I am new here and yes relatively new to the crytocurrency world. But I have been a long time GPU Parallel Computing Developer for Mathematical Research and an all around cryptographer. I am interested in the technology here and no way care about profit margins. So 99% of the politics related to such have no meaning to me including your petty "My toy is shinier than yours" childish debates.

And yet you choose a name like 'CoinHumper' (vs. CoinHunter) and immediately start jumping into forum politics with your first post in the alt chains forum. Interesting.

Tenebrix piques my curiosity as a puzzle. I am curious to see how a GPU "hostile" platform will perform in an information society that demands faster, better, more power....(cue in Tim Taylor).

Tenebrix was innovative in the fact it was the first to come out that diverged from the main line of GPU based currencies. Like it or not, Tenebrix was the first. Regardless of it's rough state now, anything that comes after, better or worse, will simply be a reproduced knockoff in the same way IXC and I0C are to Bitcoin.

I see you are unfamiliar with the history of Bitcoin. Tenebrix is a rather poor knockoff of bitcoin as well. But since your agenda is obviously to push Tenebrix, you can't admit that. Protip:Bitcoin was mined for a long time on cpus, before somebody figured out how to make mining work on gpus. Satoshi didn't design Bitcoin with gpus in mind. He designed it with cpus in mind. Any currency using cpu mining is simply a rather poor knockoff of Bitcoin Wink

The only politics I can say that garnered my attention are the ones that involve the creator of Solidcoin. The whole drama stirred by SC is enough to turn anyone off to it and as you demonstrate clearly, it attracts undesirables. No one has to attack Solidcoin, the creator has already doomed it and you are a fine example of what he stands for and by proxy Solidcoin gains the attributes.

Again, solidcoin and coinhunter can die in a fire, slowly. Many others have beat that horse though, so I haven't added my voice to its detractors. Since my influence is so positive, perhaps I should start shilling for Tenebrix the way you do?

UI is what I do very well and I am working on a really cool one for Tenebrix. I'm sorry that my choice of a hobby has offended you so deeply, that's your problem not mine.

Your hobby of being a sock puppet? Yes, I do find it offensive.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 06:01:42 PM

I'm not real sure why you want to attack me so viciously. Yes I am new here and yes relatively new to the crytocurrency world. But I have been a long time GPU Parallel Computing Developer for Mathematical Research and an all around cryptographer. I am interested in the technology here and no way care about profit margins. So 99% of the politics related to such have no meaning to me including your petty "My toy is shinier than yours" childish debates.

Tenebrix piques my curiosity as a puzzle. I am curious to see how a GPU "hostile" platform will perform in an information society that demands faster, better, more power....(cue in Tim Taylor).

Tenebrix was innovative in the fact it was the first to come out that diverged from the main line of GPU based currencies. Like it or not, Tenebrix was the first. Regardless of it's rough state now, anything that comes after, better or worse, will simply be a reproduced knockoff in the same way IXC and I0C are to Bitcoin.

The only politics I can say that garnered my attention are the ones that involve the creator of Solidcoin. The whole drama stirred by SC is enough to turn anyone off to it and as you demonstrate clearly, it attracts undesirables. No one has to attack Solidcoin, the creator has already doomed it and you are a fine example of what he stands for and by proxy Solidcoin gains the attributes.

UI is what I do very well and I am working on a really cool one for Tenebrix. I'm sorry that my choice of a hobby has offended you so deeply, that's your problem not mine.

Oldminer?  Thomas Nasakioto?  Is that you?  I've haven't seen cheerleading for premined coins this hard since Ixcoin lol  Where's Smoothie when you need him? Smiley

Mousepotato
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2011, 01:42:13 AM

Excellent primary school comprehension skills!

I'm not in this for profit or even to make money. I am in this as a hobby, to learn a few things and have fun.
So yes, I like the CPU exclusiveness.

It seems to me that if you just didn't like TBX you would simply not use it. It appears you have an agenda. Why are you so against it?

He premined 7.7Mio coins. That's about 3 years of mining at average spead... So after 3 years (Bitcoin doesn't even exist so long) the community still has onle 50% of the coins, that would be a fix 50% tax if you calculate with 3 years... And he only admitted the primined coins after someone found it on the blockchain. So where is the fish?

You should learn about the other alternative cryptocurrencies, and why most of them failed. Then add the 7.7M premined coins, and think again.

But I think I am not educating a newb... I think you are just one of the early adopters of this StartChain-Dump-Profit-Scam, and so you want to attract other noobs to join and lose their real money!

This is a block chain created by the same people who brought you mybitcoin.com?

Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 07:09:26 AM

It seems to me that CoinHumper (love the name) has several times stated that the premined coins don't bother him/her/it because they have no interest in profit. I don't see any instance of premined cheer leading in CoinHumper's post anywhere.

Can you post a quote showing such?

Maybe not outright blatant cheerleading, but Oldminer wasn't bothered by the half million or so pre-mined Ixcoins either.  CoinHumper's similar condoning of pre-mined TB seems a little... coincidental.  Like I said, we need Smoothie back on top of things!

Mousepotato
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: