Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:40:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase will be next to halt withdrawals by Friday..  (Read 15625 times)
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:04:49 PM

Uh, that $102 price at BTC-E doesn't really say much if no one else in the economy is willing to sell for $102.

more or less retired.
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:06:32 PM

Yes, please.  Everyone cash out.

Like you do every time there is a scary moment.

Weak hands.

Bail.  So my stash becomes even more rare.

Thank you in advance.  You're making me wealthy.

-B-

Really?  If Bitcoin drops another 50% over the next few months, is he still making you wealthy by selling you overpriced coins?

BittBurger is like the guy on the Titanic. "Life jackets? There's no need for life jackets! This will all be resolved soon and we'll be back in our rooms."

Bye. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Door? I got on the lifeboat. I'm watching the HODLers as they swirl their champagne glasses up on the deck of the Titatnic, thinking the worst is over, laughing at us "weak hands". I used to be like you, hold at all costs, but in the face of this news, you'd have to be insane to stay in bitcoin.

What news? BitcoinSteve and the ddos attack? Lol. Ok.

I'm a holder. I dont give a shit if the price goes to $400 next week. It was $120 a few months ago.

"Scoreboard."

You'll give a shit if it dips below your average buying price.

No. Not really.
traderCJ

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:09:29 PM

Weak hands.

-B-

Really?  If Bitcoin drops another 50% over the next few months, is he still making you wealthy by selling you overpriced coins?

BittBurger is like the guy on the Titanic. "Life jackets? There's no need for life jackets! This will all be resolved soon and we'll be back in our rooms."

Door? I got on the lifeboat. I'm watching the HODLers as they swirl their champagne glasses up on the deck of the Titatnic, thinking the worst is over, laughing at us "weak hands". I used to be like you, hold at all costs, but in the face of this news, you'd have to be insane to stay in bitcoin.

I'm a holder. I dont give a shit if the price goes to $400 next week. It was $120 a few months ago.

"Scoreboard."

No. Not really.

That's some serious faith right there.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:12:20 PM

Stop people. The guys a troll who made a lucky guess. There is nothing statistically odd about that.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:14:11 PM

Bitcoinsteve strikes again,
Nothing will hurt bitcoin they will always rise back up.
Dont worrie about this guy, He is just trying to play 1 of our strongest emotions: FEAR
Unless the world will be hit bye a nuclear bomb funded with bitcoins, BTC will rise
chesthing
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:15:12 PM

Stop people. The guys a troll who made a lucky guess. There is nothing statistically odd about that.
There is when the one time he decided to troll he was right on the money. I don't believe btc is done either, but that prediction was pretty freaky.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:16:09 PM

Weak hands.

-B-

"Scoreboard."

No. Not really.

That's some serious faith right there.

Yes, I seriously believe bitcoin will be successful.
DrBitcoin

Activity: 350
Merit: 294

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:21:32 PM

I've been slowly putting my Bitcoin into physical cold storage .10 BTC at a time. I hate doing this because:

1) I like that Coinbase syncs with my Mint.com account
2) I like the idea that if I want to quickly sell and trade Bitcoins, I don't have to upload the physical wallets first and wait. Especially if they are at home and I am at work and want to sell.

That said, I am seriously thinking about offloading all of my Bitcoins tonight into physical wallet. I think the OP has a point, and that Coinbase will enter a brief period of shutdown where my Botcoins will be unavailable to me.

I don't have THAT many, but I should probably do like .25 at a time? Until they are all offline? I don't like the idea of doing them all into one physical wallet, in case something stupid goes wrong and they are all lost.
thelema93

Activity: 339

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:26:04 PM

If any of you freaked out trolls actually can read - then you would have read this in the article mentioned above ( http://www.coindesk.com/massive-concerted-attack-launched-bitcoin-exchanges/ ) :

"“This is not happening to other exchanges because they’re not stupid enough to issue withdrawals without checking them out first,” he explained.

Antonopoulos said we will see a few exchanges suspend withdrawals temporarily while they re-work their accounting systems to ensure they are not confused by the attack.

“It’s important to note no funds have been lost. Withdrawals have been halted to prevent funds from being lost or to prevent the balances from going out of sync,” he stressed."

This problem is NOT the sky falling in. It only affects the older versions of bitcoind. Gox are using a modified version of an older client. So they have been affected worst. I don't think any other exchange does, but they will take care too to make sure the bug doesn't hit them.

Is anyone surprised that there is a constant effort to take down bitcoin? Of course there is. But they will not succeed!

The bug Antonopoulos is talking about it VERY easy for them to work around.

In fact this is BRILLIANT NEWS! It's not Gox trying to scam everyone as so many trolls here are preaching. It really is a bug in the old bitcoin client which is affetcing EVERY exchange and they will get it fixed very soon:

"An industry-wide coordinated response has been put into action, with exchanges and core developers collaborating actively to attack the problem from multiple angles.

Various other groups within the ecosystem, including the big mining pools, are working to stop the issue from propagating across the network.

Any exchanges that are affected are working on fixing their internal systems so they correct the account balances and can resume withdrawals as soon as possible.

“I would expect to see withdrawals flowing again within 24 and 72 hours, and in the meantime, any withdrawals that were cancelled will reappear in customer account balances,” Antonopoulos explained."

OK can we all agree to stop blaming Gox now?

Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:31:02 PM

If any of you freaked out trolls actually can read - then you would have read this in the article mentioned above ( http://www.coindesk.com/massive-concerted-attack-launched-bitcoin-exchanges/ ) :

"“This is not happening to other exchanges because they’re not stupid enough to issue withdrawals without checking them out first,” he explained.

Antonopoulos said we will see a few exchanges suspend withdrawals temporarily while they re-work their accounting systems to ensure they are not confused by the attack.

“It’s important to note no funds have been lost. Withdrawals have been halted to prevent funds from being lost or to prevent the balances from going out of sync,” he stressed."

This problem is NOT the sky falling in. It only affects the older versions of bitcoind. Gox are using a modified version of an older client. So they have been affected worst. I don't think any other exchange does, but they will take care too to make sure the bug doesn't hit them.

Is anyone surprised that there is a constant effort to take down bitcoin? Of course there is. But they will not succeed!

But the trolls want cheap coins.. don't ruin their FUD now with logic and reason. Cry

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
xephyr

Activity: 285

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:35:23 PM

I've been slowly putting my Bitcoin into physical cold storage .10 BTC at a time. I hate doing this because:

1) I like that Coinbase syncs with my Mint.com account
2) I like the idea that if I want to quickly sell and trade Bitcoins, I don't have to upload the physical wallets first and wait. Especially if they are at home and I am at work and want to sell.

That said, I am seriously thinking about offloading all of my Bitcoins tonight into physical wallet. I think the OP has a point, and that Coinbase will enter a brief period of shutdown where my Botcoins will be unavailable to me.

I don't have THAT many, but I should probably do like .25 at a time? Until they are all offline? I don't like the idea of doing them all into one physical wallet, in case something stupid goes wrong and they are all lost.

Coinbase.com is very secure. If you feel the need to keep your bitcoin locally I think you would have to go to Armory using cold storage. Why would you only move .25 BTC at a time? Just setup Armory and move the lot.
nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:37:48 PM

But the trolls want cheap coins.. don't ruin their FUD now with logic and reason. Cry

Yes we will have to wait, BUT when mtgox enables bitcoin withdrawals again be prepared for the biggest rise you have seen.
I predict 2000-2500 per bitcoin soon.
Mark my words here is my adress already for my predictions like steve: 13iomuQqZuoGLQGfmKmZBa7wTa1ebDAoLs  Wink
7thKingdom

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:46:10 PM

I like how everyone ignores the fact that his "prediction" suggested that the price would be $100 on Friday... NOT that it would drop to $100 for a few seconds on one exchange on Monday.

There is a BIG difference between the price sitting at 100 on friday the 14th and what we saw happen yesterday.

But if ya'll want to continue to think he made some genius prediction, by all means, get on your knees and praise the guy.
Lloydie

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:56:44 PM

The track to less than $100 btc is on the way, many exchanges will close along with coinbase by Friday.. Prepare, get your coins out, sell now or wish you did.. more news coming soon.

I'm confused .. in the topic you say Coinbase will halt withdrawals, but in the post you say it will close.  What did you mean to say?
Bitcoinsteve, bless his soul, wanted to name his new daughter after bitcoin. Thankfully he decided not to. In fact, I think his daughter is due any day now.

He is also a Christian and most likely from the US. As he was taking in bitcoin donations, he doesn't have a lot of coins and he is not part of any nefarious group with special information, AFAICT.

Now, how did he get the call on the drop right? Well, he didn't exactly. He called it on the day it happened, not the day before, but importantly he DID call it before it happened.

Bitcoinsteve claims to get visions, so maybe he is getting paranormal warnings or maybe he got lucky.  Insert your own personal philosophical beliefs here. But such things are unreliable at best.

I think Bitcoinsteve got lucky or was warned in a vision somehow, and now he sees everything as ending. Either that or he is related to someone who is connected to the group that is launching the DDOS attacks. Did someone mention large IT, govt backed organisation with sufficient resources to launch widescale botnet attack? How this will play out is anyone's guess but I think bitcoin will bounce back from this because the problem has been identified and therefore the protocol can be altered to fix it.

As for Gox dying, I don't believe that will happen because their cold storage was unaffected AFAIK.
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:00:50 AM

I like how everyone ignores the fact that his "prediction" suggested that the price would be $100 on Friday... NOT that it would drop to $100 for a few seconds on one exchange on Monday.

There is a BIG difference between the price sitting at 100 on friday the 14th and what we saw happen yesterday.

But if ya'll want to continue to think he made some genius prediction, by all means, get on your knees and praise the guy.

mind you...

The news has changed, I do not want donations, BITCOIN is almost over..

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
esse83

Activity: 545
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:04:08 AM

We (core dev team, developers at the exchanges, and even big mining pools) are creating workarounds and fixes right now. This is a denial-of-service attack; whoever is doing this is not stealing coins, but is succeeding in preventing some transactions from confirming.

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?p=422

As you can see Gavin agree with my estimate of the situation, until a fix is presented (GMaxwell (Core #Bitcoin dev): It is exceptionally unlikely that malleability will be fixed in the year). A larger scale attack on the network would render more and more tx useless.

“Bitcoin is wild and crazy investment that I’m diversifying out of all the time,” - Gavin Andresen
john_doe

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:18:44 AM

We (core dev team, developers at the exchanges, and even big mining pools) are creating workarounds and fixes right now. This is a denial-of-service attack; whoever is doing this is not stealing coins, but is succeeding in preventing some transactions from confirming.

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?p=422

As you can see Gavin agree with my estimate of the situation, until a fix is presented (GMaxwell (Core #Bitcoin dev): It is exceptionally unlikely that malleability will be fixed in the year). A larger scale attack on the network would render more and more tx useless.

This is what I get from that post:

Quote from: Gavin Andresen
Somebody (or several somebodies) is taking advantage of the transaction malleability issue and relaying mutated versions of transactions. This is exposing bugs in both the reference implementation and some exchange’s software.

Quote from: Gavin Andresen
We (core dev team, developers at the exchanges, and even big mining pools) are creating workarounds and fixes right now.

If you believe my post is helpful and you feel like donating a small amount, please use this address: 165i2m6WNT3v4KPWbFesKhceaXf2shcUDR
esse83

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:20:59 AM

GMaxwell (Core #Bitcoin dev): It is exceptionally unlikely that malleability will be fixed in the year

“Bitcoin is wild and crazy investment that I’m diversifying out of all the time,” - Gavin Andresen
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:23:32 AM

GMaxwell (Core #Bitcoin dev): It is exceptionally unlikely that malleability will be fixed in the year

Just because malleability won't be fixed this year doesn't mean they can't mitigate these DDoS attacks through other ways.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
esse83

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:26:54 AM

Just because malleability won't be fixed this year doesn't mean they can't mitigate these DDoS attacks through other ways.

That made no sense unless you actually present a way to mitigate this by presenting a feasible course of action. Everything else is just hope and faith.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: