Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:59:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gauging Interest for Open-Air Aluminum Cases for GPU Mining - Ships from USA  (Read 2855 times)
Damnsammit (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:06:13 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2014, 03:56:00 PM by Damnsammit

I finished up my first prototype for an aluminum case and have done pricing analysis for both a stackable and a non-stackable version.  

These are the pictures of the prototype, but there will be a few slight changes as I made it just a little bit too tall.  They will be predrilled for Motherboard, PSU, and GPU mounting.  Both version will support up to 6 GPUs.

Dimensions for the unstackable version: 24x10x8
Dimensions for the stackable version: 24x10x8

Pricing is not set in stone, but will likely be $169 for the nonstackable, and $199 for the stackable.
(edited:  I miscalculated the cost of the aluminum company precutting the aluminum.  I may reduce costs by building a proper workshop and doing it myself.)

I'm in talks with the aluminum company about reducing the costs by getting a discount on a large order.  Not really looking to sell this as a pre-order, but if there is a large enough interest then I might change my mind on that to reduce costs further and hopefully lower the price.  The pictures below are just for the non-stackable prototype.  

These will be ready to ship within 7-10 days.  Have the aluminum for 1-2 units right now, with another order on the way.  

Out of aluminum.  Waiting for a large shipment this week.  Going to put up a site to take custom orders and post some more detailed pictures.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ibuyltc

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:32:54 PM

Looks great.  Seems to be a bit taller than others i've seen.  Maybe an issue for those with smaller 6-10 inch risers
Damnsammit (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:42:18 PM

Looks great.  Seems to be a bit taller than others i've seen.  Maybe an issue for those with smaller 6-10 inch risers

Already addressed that in the OP.

I'll be building the stackable prototype tomorrow and it will be 4-6" shorter, but will have pegs on the bottom to stack with.  I'll probably not be lazy and use the drill press to pre-drill the holes, so that I can switch my current wooden behemoth into it for a photoshoot.

The weather sucked today so I did a quick job on this unstackable prototype.  I'll be ordering samples for the designs this week after I go over the specifications and prepare the parts for labeling and packaging.  Shipping should be pretty affordable as they don't weigh too much.  I also need to build a few more rigs so that i can test the stability of them when they are stacked so I can come up with a recommendation for how high they can go.

The final dimensions will be more specific and they will have well detailed pictures.
Damnsammit (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 07:19:44 PM

Will not have a chance to finish the stackable prototype until tomorrow but I did want to give an update that I will be changing the base of it so the motherboard will fit in the middle and there will be room for two PSUs (one on each side of the mobo)

Unfortunately the angled tubing is unavailable anywhere that I can find in the anodized black, so it will be just a silver rail that supports the PSUs so they stay firmly in place. 

I was also contacted by a forum member about a custom case for the vertical mounting of video cards with the USB risers.  Once I finish that design then I will post that as another option.  Currently, I am looking to offer 4 models - both unstackable and stackable solutions in clear anodized aluminum and black aluminum.  Once I perfect the vertical design then t hat will be offered in both flavors of aluminum as well.  The clear is slightly cheaper than the black.

Over the next weeks we will be working on a rack-mountable solution.  My dad is an IT guy and is hoping to secure a data rack that we can use for building the prototype.

If anyone has any questions or would like to submit their ideas for a custom solution, feel free to post here or send me a PM.

Look forward to helping you with your custom case solutions and should be getting my own designs into production in the next couple of weeks.   I will likely have one or two units for sale by Monday. 
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 09:11:59 PM

Interested.
Damnsammit (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 12:46:37 AM

Designed my first vertical rig today for a custom order.  Had a lot of fun, but not sure exactly how to mass produce them as the height of the GPUs varies between cards so the support bar would need to be adjustable and all GPUs would need to be identical for them to be secure.  It was fun to make though.  Might try and come up with an adjustable support bar with 6 different sections so that it could be made universal but the costs would probably make that more of a "fun" project instead of a viable product.

Finished most of the cost analysis and came up with a solution for the PSU mount.  Unfortunately I can't find the angular aluminum in the anodized black, but I think it still looks pretty good.  Hopefully will have a chance to take some better quality pictures and post them this weekend.

The website is almost up and running, but I am waiting on my shipment of various cables from China before I launch it.  In the meantime I will be taking and filling orders for cases.

Interested.

PM sent.

Jamoke

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 04:52:54 AM

I'm really interested as well, and am looking forward to your website. I'm currently waiting for delivery of a similar product, so I think I'd prefer to wait for you to get an established distribution model in place.  But I think if you can get the design set, and the cost a bit lower (Does the prices listed include shipping?)  I know a few people who would be interested including myself.
ycsi

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 01:09:12 PM

Interested.
4-6 GPU

One suggestion/idea: the rear GPU supporting bar may be too far back for some shorter cards. Is it possible to have the support bar placed about an inch from the end of the PCI-e connector? That would provide universal support, regardless of the GPU card length...
Damnsammit (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 04:56:31 PM

Interested.
4-6 GPU

One suggestion/idea: the rear GPU supporting bar may be too far back for some shorter cards. Is it possible to have the support bar placed about an inch from the end of the PCI-e connector? That would provide universal support, regardless of the GPU card length...

I used a 5850 to measure the size and figured it was shorter than most of the newer cards. 

I also wanted to make the design a little bit different, but decided that the cost was not worth it.  However, I do make custom designs, so if someone has shorter cards and needs a case, it would be no issue at all.  Once I finish the stackable prototype this weekend, then I will have exact dimensions on how short the card will have to be for it to not work.

I am also looking into make the support bar adjustable.
Damnsammit (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 05:00:14 PM

I'm really interested as well, and am looking forward to your website. I'm currently waiting for delivery of a similar product, so I think I'd prefer to wait for you to get an established distribution model in place.  But I think if you can get the design set, and the cost a bit lower (Does the prices listed include shipping?)  I know a few people who would be interested including myself.

I am working on getting the cost down as low as possible.  Shipping is not currently included in the price, but that price list is also not concrete yet.  Additionally, I am going to offer the clear aluminum as a cheaper alternative as the metal is about $0.60 less a foot for clear versus the anodized black. 

atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:57:01 PM

Nice and clean. 

Cheers!
Megabit monster

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Will work for BitCoins

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:38:05 AM

If I might make a suggestion.  Put the MB posts in the middle of the rack and room for one PSU on each side of the MB.  If you look in your pic it would be hard to get the PCIE connections all the way across the rig to the GPUs on the opposing side.  With a 6 GPU build we are obviously going to use 2 PSU so with one on each side, it allows for greater access to get the rig powered up.  Other than that it looks clean.  A lot of us use the 1m USB risers so I like the distance you've put between the MB and the GPU's.  Allows for multi-angles of fans to keep the underneath and the top of the cards cool with properly placed Box/Stand fans.  I could see myself switching my rigs to these if the price was a little lower, and the design was tweaked just a bit as stated above.

Just my 2BTC

Cisco CCNP + CCIE Written. Open to various networking/VOIP related projects. 
Accept bitcoin for payments. Extensive successful project history.
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 06:50:30 AM

Way too expensive.

See here: https://openrigs.com/vitalia-standalone-gpu-frame
Damnsammit (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:11:39 PM

Ordered from them on 11/29/2013

Still have not received my order.

God luck!
ycsi

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:18:38 PM

God luck!

Yeah, good luck with openrigs shipping...

BTW, if I were to order an open frame today from an US vendor, I'd be willing to pay US$129 for a 4-6GPU rig, including shipping to Canada, so roughly $99 for the frame itself.
Damnsammit (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:51:51 PM

God luck!

BTW, if I were to order an open frame today from an US vendor, I'd be willing to pay US$129 for a 4-6GPU rig, including shipping to Canada, so roughly $99 for the frame itself.

I might be able to do that for you today.  Just depends on if you need 2 PSUs or 1... I was building a 1 PSU/5 GPU case for myself, but I am in no rush to get it done as I currently have it all in a wooden rig that I built.

About to go recreate the new base that I designed last week when I made a vertical mount for someone.  Here is a picture of what that looks like and this will be the new base for all of my future cases.  It supports 2 PSUs and is roughly 24x10 in size:

cwizard

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:57:13 PM

It's a toss up between supporting a little guy, using primochill's pre-made for $129 which is an EXCELLENT quality product, and making my own.

Materials cost around $44 shipped for what I want to build.
Damnsammit (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:13:34 PM

What are you wanting to build?  Seems really cheap!  I'd love to be able to get my costs that low...
ycsi

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:17:41 PM

God luck!

I might be able to do that for you today.  Just depends on if you need 2 PSUs or 1... I was building a 1 PSU/5 GPU case for myself, but I am in no rush to get it done as I currently have it all in a wooden rig that I built.

About to go recreate the new base that I designed last week when I made a vertical mount for someone.  Here is a picture of what that looks like and this will be the new base for all of my future cases.  It supports 2 PSUs and is roughly 24x10 in size:

PM sent
cwizard

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:31:30 PM

What are you wanting to build?  Seems really cheap!  I'd love to be able to get my costs that low...

I'd be happy to share my materials supplier with you, but you'll have to ditch the fancy black anodized aluminum Smiley

cwiz
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: