Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 03:48:21 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gauging Interest for Open-Air Aluminum Cases for GPU Mining - Ships from USA  (Read 2855 times)
ravic

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 12:56:20 AM

How much would it cost for a 4 GPU 1 PSU 1 Mobo stackable?
Damnsammit (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 03:55:49 PM

How much would it cost for a 4 GPU 1 PSU 1 Mobo stackable?

PM sent.

Out of aluminum for a few days.  In the meantime I am going to focus on assembly instructions for the base model.

I love the custom orders, though, they are a lot of fun! Smiley
Damnsammit (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 07:22:24 PM

Quick update on price:

I am not entirely done with cost analysis, still needing to consider packaging and how to redo the pricing to a model that has add-ons to lower the base price.  The total price right now for a stackable 4-8GPU, 2PSU model, with pre-drilled ATX specification holes for the Mobo, 2 PSU support brackets, HD mount, and pre-drilled holes for GPU front mounts is going to likely be $199.

Of course, all of those features are optional.  You can throw down a piece of cardboard and forgo the mobo standoff altogether, and the PSUs can just rest inside of the case without any brackets - they fit nicely between the motherboard support tubing.  Twist or zip-ties can be used instead of the GPU screws, and SSD's or thumb drives can be used instead of needing an HD mounting bracket.

Right now I am working out a solution with the add-ons so that I can get the base price closer to $100 and then you can add-on whatever you want. 

Aluminum order update:

The aluminum supplier is currently out of the black tubing, so I am only going to have silver tubing and black connectors in stock hopefully by the weekend.

In the future I think I might get some custom colored connectors so that you can pick your own color combo.  I plan to have both silver and black tubing and probably three or four colors of the connectors. 

Let me know if anyone would be interested in certain colors of connectors.  Maybe silver tubing with Bitcoin orange connectors? Smiley

paulk11087

Activity: 987
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 07:41:41 PM

Custom colors would be cool, but I think I'd just stick with a plain look, since it's just going to be stored away anyway.

Any future plans on having a 20" box fan mount for the back of the rig or something? Or like add-on parts for that? If not a box fan, what about 120mm, 140mm, or 200mm computer case fan mounting points?
Damnsammit (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 07:50:21 PM

Custom colors would be cool, but I think I'd just stick with a plain look, since it's just going to be stored away anyway.

Any future plans on having a 20" box fan mount for the back of the rig or something? Or like add-on parts for that? If not a box fan, what about 120mm, 140mm, or 200mm computer case fan mounting points?

Man, I was just discussing this with my dad yesterday and he said no one would want that.  About to text him a screen shot of this... but yes!  I plan on adding a box-fan mount as I think that is the best heat dissipation solution outside of an actual data-center cooling system. 

We are needing to get the next order of aluminum before finalizing everything.  The custom orders were great, and we will definitely enjoy working on them, but I'm reserving some of the aluminum for personal use so we can tinker our designs and finally get some quality pictures up.  I am also working on turning sketches into assembly instructions.

After I get the aluminum I will be working on making 5-10 stackable base units so I can conduct some tests on their umm... "stackability".  I will not sell any stackable units until I am sure they stack well and have a recommended stack limit.

Damnsammit (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 03:19:43 PM

Welp!  Looks like the aluminum won't get here until Monday.

Going to be a relaxing weekend for me then... Cheesy
hoodlikegaza

Activity: 31

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:15:10 PM

I'd be interested but $200 is not on my list...
Damnsammit (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:30:59 PM

I'd be interested but $200 is not on my list...

Understandable.  I'm working on bringing the costs down to where $200 has all the bells and whistles but $100-140 is still a really solid design that most people will have no problem using.

Edit:  also thinking about doing pre-orders to see if I can reach the order threshold for a 10-30% discount from the aluminum supplier.

hoodlikegaza

Activity: 31

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:37:08 PM

id be interested in a stackable one that can support 2 psus in the $140 range
paulk11087

Activity: 987
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 04:05:44 AM

how many do you need in preorders to get that discount? any ballpark? maybe get a group buy going here?

i'd be interested in stackable units that can support 2 PSU's and then a box fan if possible. the box fan mount isn't necessary but would be a nice touch for sure! how far apart are the GPU's mounted?

also, have you looked into creating the rig in a way that the cards are oriented in a vertical way to blow the air up out of the vents? i built my own angled aluminum rig this way(i did a very poor job LOL) and to me it seems like it would be just a tad more efficient in terms of dissipating the heat. just a thought...

Damnsammit (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 07:37:09 AM

how many do you need in preorders to get that discount? any ballpark? maybe get a group buy going here?

I will be doing the anlaysis on that this weekend as well as coming up with some basic diagrams for assembly instructions, but likely they will be 30 units for a 10% discount, 60 units for a 20% discount, and 150 units for a 30% discount.

i'd be interested in stackable units that can support 2 PSU's and then a box fan if possible. the box fan mount isn't necessary but would be a nice touch for sure! how far apart are the GPU's mounted?

The current design is for allowing a minimum of 1" of space between GPUs and that is if you are using 8 cards.  Most GPUs are less than 2" wide, so the 24" base allows for 1" in between cards which, coupled with a box fan is sufficient head dissipation.

As of now the add-ons are going to be:
Stackable
PSU supports (one or two)
HDD/SDD bracket
pre-drilled ATX mobo holes
- plastic standoffs, if needed
- brass standoffs, if needed
pre-drilled GPU front screw holes
- screws, if needed
Box fan mount

also, have you looked into creating the rig in a way that the cards are oriented in a vertical way to blow the air up out of the vents? i built my own angled aluminum rig this way(i did a very poor job LOL) and to me it seems like it would be just a tad more efficient in terms of dissipating the heat. just a thought...

I have custom-built a vertical rig, but have concerns about a mass-produced model as the size of the video cards must be identical or I don't feel the supports are substantial enough so all cards in a unit must be the same height or I must make the support bar seperated into adjustable parts which I don't find cost effective:

Edit:  In this picture, I simulated the size of the customers card with a block of wood that I cut down.  It is clamped onto the support because it was requested that I do not drill the GPU holes, so I had nothing to screw my Radeon 5850 Wood Edition into.

Korxax

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:35:41 PM

Hi Damnsammit,

Very interesting design! I like it.  I just had a little suggestion for you.  If you make one with a box fan mount also make a space to mount a furnace filter between the fan and the video cards.  Then you can just slide in furnace filters to keep the dust down!  There are lots of different size filters so you should be able to find one that fits nicely.  Then your miners will double as air filters.  I'll keep an eye out on this I may be interested in buying 2-4 of them when you get it all figured out.  My normal cases with cards hanging out all over the place are a bit of a problem... lol  I currently have a normal case laying on it's side open with a strip of cork flooring laying across it that the video cards rest on and a tower air-filter laying on it's side blowing air across the cards.  It works...  but is really a pain if I need to move anything.  The other case has a card hanging from the side opening with zip ties.   the risers I bought from you are working great though!

Korxax,

1NtV1q29FtRAYAkMJHMYbASZLiLur2FQe
Damnsammit (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 08:59:38 PM

Hi Damnsammit,

Very interesting design! I like it.  I just had a little suggestion for you.  If you make one with a box fan mount also make a space to mount a furnace filter between the fan and the video cards.  Then you can just slide in furnace filters to keep the dust down!  There are lots of different size filters so you should be able to find one that fits nicely.  Then your miners will double as air filters.  I'll keep an eye out on this I may be interested in buying 2-4 of them when you get it all figured out.  My normal cases with cards hanging out all over the place are a bit of a problem... lol  I currently have a normal case laying on it's side open with a strip of cork flooring laying across it that the video cards rest on and a tower air-filter laying on it's side blowing air across the cards.  It works...  but is really a pain if I need to move anything.  The other case has a card hanging from the side opening with zip ties.   the risers I bought from you are working great though!

Korxax,

1NtV1q29FtRAYAkMJHMYbASZLiLur2FQe

Hahahah!  Oh man, some of the things that we do as miners to get our cards running.  I remember when I had a regular case that I opened up and had the cards rised using some old notebooks.  I should have taken a picture of that lol

Well I am just about done with all of the analysis, and am finishing up making about 5 units right now.  Likely going to be getting a very large shipment of aluminum next, and the price should be knocked down pretty low due to the bulk discount.  Hopefully in the $100-120 range.  PSU and HD supports will still be extra though. 

Base unit will include predrilled (and tapped) mobo standoff holes and GPU holes and will be stackable.  I scrapped the design for non-stackable as it doesn't really cost much extra to make it stackable and I like the feet on it.  Going to take some more pictures today, with them stacked up. 

Should be ready to take orders very soon.  Just got to finalize the pricing, and then update all of the info on the website, and get this damn shipping situation (with the shopping cart software) under control, then it will be good to go.

Alright back to work... I will post some pictures tonight.
Damnsammit (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 01:45:32 AM

Update: February 25th, 2014

Alright, I have finished mapping everything out.  Got the designs set in stone and took pictures of the stackable unit.  Also will post a picture of a custom rig I made for a local customer today.

Stackable unit dimensions:
Outside dimensions 25.5" x 9.5" x 15.5"
Inside dimensions 24" x 8" x 11"

There are going to be two main "types" of stackable units, basically.  One is going to be the base that has the end-caps on it, the other will be the top unit which has the caps on the top so you don't have anything sticking out.  In the middle there will just be the base units with no end-caps.

Alright, with that being said, I am likely going to start taking preorders within the next few days.  I am in discussion with a business partner and we are going to order a lot of aluminum to get a bulk discount and get the pricing down, so that leads me to pricing!

The base price will be $109 per unit.  This will include pre-drilled (and tapped) holes for the motherboard and the GPUs. 

Add-ons will be available but I have not set the price on them yet.  These add-ons will include PSU support bars (see picture below), HD support bar (no picture yet), and brass or plastic mobo standoffs.  There has been interest in a box fan mounting bracket, so I will likely be buying a box-fan tomorrow so that I can make an add-on for that as well.

I do not have the price of shipping but these will be coming from Dallas, TX (zip code 76017) if you want to calculate it.

I will be starting a new thread and closing this one when I start taking pre-orders.  I am still working on designing the assembly instructions, but will be taking pictures and probably video tomorrow to throw up on the website (launching soon!) for the time being.  Eventually I will have a printed instruction page to include with the packaging.

Any questions, feel free to ask! 

Here are the picures:

Base unit - has end caps on the feet for a cleaner look

Closer look at the feet

Shows the stacking connectors

Top unit - has no stacking connectors on top

The units stacked

Custom design for a local customer.  This sucker is big.  Lots of space between cards on this puppy!  Notice the PSU support rails on this rig.  Those will be the exact same design for the add-on, I just ran out of the angled tubing and didn't feel like running up to Home Depot.  I will be stacking it up to 4 or 5 units high tomorrow and take some more pictures.

Damnsammit (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 09:41:59 PM

In stock and ready to ship!  Taking Pre-Orders now.  Please see the new thread here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=494982.msg5453031#msg5453031
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: