Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:11:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's stop all transactions, right now!  (Read 1858 times)
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 10:41:52 PM

I may be fortunate, my living doesn't depend on BTC. I don't use BTC everyday, and I don't need the BTC I keep on my wallet, on my home computer (not the one I'm using now). BTC is going through hard times right now, I will not move, and I suggest everyone in the same situation as I am to stay put.

It's panic that's causing today's price fall. People are always overreacting.

I'll probably wait till the malleability issue is resolved. It's fine with me if it takes 2 months.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sheldor333

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 10:48:33 PM

You do realize that transactions make bitcoin what it is, make it work. Bitcoin is nothing without transactions. Imagine if everyone stopped buying in real world using fiat currencies. So nobody is buying anything at all. Everything would collapse, and I do mean everything. Money in any form is dependent on it changing hands. People often dismiss that, but when a country is in crisis the ones that increase their spending or maintain it at the same level get out of crisis fastest. Take Island for example.
P.S. If you don't need bitcoins, I wouldn't mind taking them off your hands.  Grin

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 10:50:49 PM

The title makes no sense. My answer is:

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 10:53:52 PM

People are always overreacting.

You're right,  let's stop all transactions, right now!

MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 10:54:27 PM

Why would you want to stop all transactions? People earn a living off Bitcoin and can't stop because of this stupid idea it doesn't make any sense.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 10:54:33 PM

There is no reason to stop transactions, they work fine if you are using properly coded clients.

A lot of people seem to overreact to this malleability issue without fully understanding the problem.

I personally don't care if my "transaction ID" is changed because it doesn't affect the actual outcome of the transaction.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 10:58:33 PM

that the difference between a capitain in hurrican ... and a tourist on a yacht in sunshine.
you are the tourist.

don't talk to me.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 10:58:55 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2014, 11:38:27 PM by DeathAndTaxes

There is no reason to stop transactions, they work fine if you are using properly coded clients.

A lot of people seem to overreact to this malleability issue without fully understanding the problem.

I personally don't care if my "transaction ID" is changed because it doesn't affect the actual outcome of the transaction.

It does if your client uses unconfirmed change in a new outbound tx (which all of them do BTW).  The changing of the tx id will cause the child transaction to become invalid.

A temporary fix would be to
a) give users the ability to require change to have 1 confirmation before using it in a new tx.
b) flag duplicates txs and hide them so the user only sees one (and the balance only reflects one copy).

It isn't perfect but it would make the mutability a non-issue for ends users.  Service providers which keep records on outbound txs would still need to ensure they don't rely on tx ids.
Gamer67

Activity: 294

тσ ¢σιи σя иσт тσ ¢σιи?

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:00:58 PM

I may be fortunate, my living doesn't depend on BTC. I don't use BTC everyday, and I don't need the BTC I keep on my wallet, on my home computer (not the one I'm using now). BTC is going through hard times right now, I will not move, and I suggest everyone in the same situation as I am to stay put.

I'll probably wait till the malleability issue is resolved. It's fine with me if it takes 2 months.

Pot meet Kettle.

Seriously OP.

"I am not Dorian Nakamoto."
jongameson

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:01:09 PM

what what what

i just bought some weed with bitcoins

if we get rid of them then no more weed   Cry
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:05:01 PM

It's fine with me if it takes 2 months.

In 2 days, we have the fall of MT.gox ... in 2 minutes, we have this :

http://media.timeout.com/blogimages/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/deep-impact-gif.gif

2 months is too long for a network that it can react with 7 transactions per second.  Grin
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 11:09:50 PM

Rofl Cheesy

I must say it was funny.

Stop all transacions and do not overreact at a same time..
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:10:34 PM

Service providers which keep records on outbound txs would still need to ensure they don't rely on tx ids.

At some point this will have to be fixed.  The utility of bitcoin is reduced if the broadcast txid cannot be relied on for accounting purposes.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
dissident

Activity: 280

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:11:26 PM

hoarding to try to make the price go up so you can 'profit' just goes against everything bitcoin is supposed to be about... it's not supposed to be about greedy profit mongering, but it is of course. Other people will hold so it goes up, and then you will sell is that right?
cc8829

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 01:47:36 AM

watching & thinking
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:16:29 AM

LOL

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 11:23:37 PM

You guys should have wondered where I got the idea. It's easy, I looked at the stock market. NASDAQ or NYSE and I believe in every market, there are suspensions, trading halts or trading curbs, and everything just stops for a while. This is common, it happens often.

I understand it can't be with BTC where there isn't a regulator, but we shall not fear, nor be surprised if at times, there are things we do not understand, or that things are causing reactions we hadn't expected, so much that the safest thing to do may be to stop everyhting.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
phazon307

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Don't fear Crypto Exchanges go with honest well kn

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 11:26:21 PM

Yea it seems the price is going down but wait tell it gets down to 500 and the flood of buyers swoop in and buy em all up, then the price is going to go up like crazy. I am waiting for it to go down some to buy some.

Win up $200.00 usd in bitcoins every hour.
meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 11:30:17 PM

Service providers which keep records on outbound txs would still need to ensure they don't rely on tx ids.

At some point this will have to be fixed.  The utility of bitcoin is reduced if the broadcast txid cannot be relied on for accounting purposes.

Confirmed txid can be relied on for accounting purposes.
jongameson

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 11:33:24 PM

lets all have gay orgy (10 girls, 1 guy)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: