Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:09:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sure is Kingdom of Loathing in here  (Read 2310 times)
Cerebrum (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 04:28:34 PM

So, apparently some time ago there was a service active for trading Kingdom of Loathing Meat <-> Bitcoins. But unfortunately that service died.

I'm here to bring such a service back. I spent the last few days coding up such an exchange service, and I think it's ready for public testing (As in, I've fixed most of the typos in the code.)

If you're willing to help test out such a service, head over to http://kolbtc.dyndns.org/home.php (or http://74.69.39.167/home.php if DynDNS is acting retarded).

Note that there are still probably bugs somewhere in there. Please don't get pissed at me if your trade takes a long time or if I have to do it manually. It takes a long time for BTC trades to be confirmed by the network!

I am very poor in terms of KoL Meat (IE: I have less than 50K in total), so there won't be much buying meat for BTC until people buy BTC for meat.

I've tried to make an overview of how it works at the site, but if you have more questions feel free to post them here.

Also, the website looks like garbage because I have no idea how to do web design. There are 30 BTC in it for someone who can make an impressive looking website for this service. The contact email is at the bottom of the front page.

If you don't know what KoL is, check out this thread about the old exchange service, he explained it better than I could ever hope to do:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1384.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 04:31:18 PM

Is it possible for bitcoiners to work in the game making KoL meat to sell to you?

barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 06:34:07 PM

Awesome, thanks for setting this up.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
Cerebrum (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 09:12:30 PM

Well, that was short-lived. Someone hacked my machine, and stole all the BTC that I had available for trade, as well as all the Meat that was on my mall multi. I guess I'll see you later, folks. The server is going down for good.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 09:19:58 PM

Well, that was short-lived. Someone hacked my machine, and stole all the BTC that I had available for trade, as well as all the Meat that was on my mall multi. I guess I'll see you later, folks. The server is going down for good.

Poor security. Sad

Cerebrum (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 09:26:17 PM

Poor security. Sad

Yeah, I didn't think it was that poor though. Hope that The bro has fun with my BTC. Was a fun project, in any case.
barbarousrelic

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 10:25:25 PM

I sent you a PM about what happened. I did not hack your machine, I sent it enough meat for 1 BTC and it bugged and kept repeatedly sending me 1 BTC over and over until it ran out. Let me know your address and I"ll send them back.

This is, coincidentally or for a reason, the same glitch that the other guy had on his BTC-for-Meat site.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
Cerebrum (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 02:44:57 AM

I sent you a PM about what happened. I did not hack your machine, I sent it enough meat for 1 BTC and it bugged and kept repeatedly sending me 1 BTC over and over until it ran out. Let me know your address and I"ll send them back.

This is, coincidentally or for a reason, the same glitch that the other guy had on his BTC-for-Meat site.

Oh Jesus, that's a huge relief. Thanks for being so honest about that. I'll send instructions on where to send the BTC back to.

In any case, it looks like I still have some problems to fix. Strange that none of these showed up in the testing I did. Maybe I had to make bigger trades? In any case, I'll have to work on this more, and it's not looking like I have time at the moment to do it properly.

Also, I have no idea what happened to all the meat that was in there and the almost 700,000 that you sent, and there are a bunch of strange access attempts in the SSH logs which I didn't make. That's why I originally assumed that someone had hacked in.
barbarousrelic

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 04:11:39 AM

Oh Jesus, that's a huge relief. Thanks for being so honest about that. I'll send instructions on where to send the BTC back to.

In any case, it looks like I still have some problems to fix. Strange that none of these showed up in the testing I did. Maybe I had to make bigger trades? In any case, I'll have to work on this more, and it's not looking like I have time at the moment to do it properly.

Also, I have no idea what happened to all the meat that was in there and the almost 700,000 that you sent, and there are a bunch of strange access attempts in the SSH logs which I didn't make. That's why I originally assumed that someone had hacked in.

The meat got sent back to my KOL account. I'm guessing your software gave out its last bitcoin, and then figured it couldn't fulfill my order and then sent me my meat back.

Cerebrum (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 08:18:00 PM

Ok, sounds like the KMail deletion isn't working right then. I thought I tested that pretty thoroughly, but it looks like I have more to do. I should hav emore time to work on it at the end of this week.

In any case, I figured out where those strange SSH access attempts were coming from: A friend of mine was trying to log in to get at some files I was hosting there and he couldn't remember the password.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: