Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:37:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Featured Users Idea  (Read 129 times)
rehydrogenated (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 12:49:02 PM

So I am not the best or most technical post writer, so I don't earn very many merits, however I do READ these forums constantly. I am very invested in cutting through the spam to quality posts.

Looking at rank is one way to quickly filter posts, but that can leave you missing out on good information by someone new... So I think this forum should implement a "Featured Users" system. The Featured Users system would highlight or in some way promote users who regularly earn merit for their posts. This could be a ratio, like if the user gets merited 1/10 posts they would be considered a Featured User. Another idea would be if they have been merited recently, or if they get merited consistently in certain board like "Legal" or "Meta".

I think this would help out the merit sources as well, since it would be easier for them to find jr members who are creating quality posts, follow them, and continue to award merits for their posts.   

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 01:06:46 PM

This is kind of indirectly implemented already with the merit stats page. You can check the most merited users of all time, and recently. As well as a few other statistics related to merit.
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 01:53:32 PM

The Featured Users system would highlight or in some way promote users who regularly earn merit for their posts.
A no no from me. It can be easily determined by looking at the number of merits under your username (in-between the Activity and Posts) on the left. You can easily check the full merit history to have a decent idea about the users - if thing looks supercilious. And if you are missing the full merit history then you can use LoyceV's full merit transaction tool.

Pretty easier than adding another feature and add extra load for the forum script.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
rehydrogenated (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 01:56:52 PM

This is kind of indirectly implemented already with the merit stats page. You can check the most merited users of all time, and recently. As well as a few other statistics related to merit.

I don't think that has the same effect I'm looking for. From the merit stats page I can see who has been merited recently, but that doesn't help me when I am scrolling through dozens of posts in "altcoin discussions" looking for hidden gems and actual thoughtful analysis. I think my idea would make it so someone can start in the topic they are already interested in and clearly see the quality posters as they browse. At the moment I have to follow good posters and hope they decide to post in a topic I am interested in. Also, recently merited and most merited don't show consistency of quality posts. Maybe someone wrote their first good post ever or they got 50 merits all at once for some infographic about the merit system and the rest of their posts are garbage...
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 01:59:46 PM

Right, I think I get what your trying to say now. You mean a sort of filter that only displays merited posts per thread? I think that's been suggested, and theymos also hinted of the possibility of adding this in the future. I would welcome it. I'm not sure if I would personally use it, but I can see the appeal. 
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2018, 02:13:44 PM

I don't think a general solution is possible. We all have different areas of interest, and merited members may not be a factor in this. For example, I may be interested in the political situation in Venezuela, and there could be a couple of posters that I would like to read. Most members would not rate this as of special interest. Perhaps a way to build our own list of respected posters that we could follow would be one possible solution.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: