Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:35:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction - 126 GPU & 13 ASics - Help with Massive heat & ventilation problem  (Read 599 times)
ssaleen (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 09:24:10 PM

can you post full image link please? With those thumbnail is almost impossible to understand anything

Marco

New links posted for full images

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Thevaibhvav.arora

Activity: 22

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 02:51:37 PM

Hi,

I have about 104 cards (Most are AMD, only 13 are Nvidia) and 9 ASICs running in a small bedroom.. i had the below setup working for over 6 months without any issues.. other than some neighbors complaining about the fan noise Sad which was about 55 db..

Temps on AMD is much higher than those on Nvidia so solutions needs to be different.. I live in Florida where external temp in summer range 90F to 110F

I had a very simple setup.. using an air filter to let fresh are in on one side (No fans) and on the exhaust side  used 2 of these " MaxxAir Pro 24 in. Industrial Heavy Duty, 2-Speed, Multi-Purpose PRO Tilt Drum Fan"

Intake area should be the lowest possible and exhaust should be at the highest point possible..
also made sure that intake for all GPU, power supply and ASICs where pointing the right direction..

I had to take the setup down last week to see if i could move it to the garage or the back of the house.. Running ACs is just not an option for me as the price to install and run them will make the entire setup non profitable.. it hardly making any money at the moment as is ..

for now, i am experimenting with changing stock coolers to ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV.. i will also space the cards at least 8 inch from each others..

yianni

Activity: 141
Merit: 18

BScEE, BScCS, MScCS

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 04:23:33 PM

Hi,

I have about 104 cards (Most are AMD, only 13 are Nvidia) and 9 ASICs running in a small bedroom.. i had the below setup working for over 6 months without any issues.. other than some neighbors complaining about the fan noise Sad which was about 55 db..

Temps on AMD is much higher than those on Nvidia so solutions needs to be different.. I live in Florida where external temp in summer range 90F to 110F

I had a very simple setup.. using an air filter to let fresh are in on one side (No fans) and on the exhaust side  used 2 of these " MaxxAir Pro 24 in. Industrial Heavy Duty, 2-Speed, Multi-Purpose PRO Tilt Drum Fan"

Intake area should be the lowest possible and exhaust should be at the highest point possible..
also made sure that intake for all GPU, power supply and ASICs where pointing the right direction..

I had to take the setup down last week to see if i could move it to the garage or the back of the house.. Running ACs is just not an option for me as the price to install and run them will make the entire setup non profitable.. it hardly making any money at the moment as is ..

for now, i am experimenting with changing stock coolers to ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV.. i will also space the cards at least 8 inch from each others..

I'm surprised you didn't set your house on fire yet !!!
There are so many things wrong with this setup.
First you are relying on negative pressure in your room to suck fresh air in through a filter. That means your miners don't have enough air to cycle.
Second the little air you bring in is already at the maximum operating temperature of those miners.
PSU's operating at such temperatures loose efficiency, cables don't work properly ... so many things I can't even begin to consider.
I would sincerely suggest you invest in a good fire suppression system or a good home insurance if you are to keep this setup. Or at least do it in a shed in your back yard far away from your house.
ikicha

Activity: 788
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 04:26:00 PM

Woww 40 celcius in UAE is soo hot bro.
I look your GPU have >70 celcius temperature.
Maybe i can got free sauna on your rig? Hehe

ssaleen (OP)

Activity: 13

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 09:32:41 PM

Hello Guys,

I have a 126 GPU farm that was cooled by 5 split ac's 2 ton each  (total 10 ton capacity). I recently added 13 antminer s9i and the following is what happened

1. Without a room for the antminers the ambient temperature for the mining room became 41 degree celsius with all 5 ac's on.
2. The room that i use for mining is 8m x 5m x 3.8m (LxWxH)
3. outside temperature reach to 47 degrees in UAE
4. Fresh air intake without cooling wont work.
5. my dream is to turn off all ac's

My attempt to resolve the problem is as follows

-I built a room (Hot isle) for the antminers that included a window (I just put partition from gipson board on the back of the rack and the back wall is a window. I also put a gibson board on the back of the rack with holes for the 120cm exhaust fans and sealed it. However the exhaust air is removed from the window using a 2600cfm HD exhaust fan -(200cfm per miner x 13)
-I built a hot isle for the GPU rigs and i figured i need 250cfm per 13 gpu rig with total capacity of 2200cfm. Put 2 inline fans in series with 12" ducting for total capacity  of 2200cfm

Problem:

-the antminers and the exhaust fans now take all the air from the room and is alot of air is coming from the door edges and alot of air noises in my house etc.
-I have a total of 4800 cfm of air being exhausted

My questions
-Will an evaporative AC with high cfm be a good option since our humidity level is at 30-40% in Abu Dhabi (build a room inside mining room with an evaporative ac inside with the window open and a dehumidifier - the outlet for air from the evaporative ac will be the only thing exposed from the room pointing towards the rigs and antminers) or Duct option
-what other options i have to bring in cool 4800 cfm of fresh air

thanks for the help,. I will post pictures soon

I live in a similar climate as you do (Mediterranean). It gets close to 45 degrees in the summer.
I'm running 2x18000 CMH evaporative coolers mounted outside the warehouse and use insulated ducts to bring the cold air inside to cool 100 S9s.
Make sure your ducts are insulated otherwise they will rust.
The trick was to use a water cooler to cool the water supply to the cooler as 45 degrees is too high for these coolers.
No need to worry about moisture as these miners can handle up to 95% relative humidity. As long as the chips stay hot there will be no condensation.
I have a 7 meter tall ceiling so all the hot air goes up and don't even need exhaust fans. Just keep open windows on the top side and hot air is just pushed out due to positive pressure in the warehouse.
As far as I recall UAE has high humidity levels though so that's a serious negative factor for these swamp coolers.
Nice thing about swamp coolers is that in winter you can just use them as intake fans without any water supply.
Another thing to consider is that these industrial level swamp coolers go into self cleaning mode twice a day for about 5-8 minutes. So you need to watch your temperatures during that time.
Also better choose a 3 phase swamp cooler to better balance your load. It's a bit more expensive but it takes away the headache of load balancing.
Hope this helps.

What type of cooler you were using to cool the water supply to the swamp coolers. do you also exhaust 2x18000 cmh or less?

thanls
Thevaibhvav.arora

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 04:18:05 PM

Hi,

I'm surprised you didn't set your house on fire yet !!!
There are so many things wrong with this setup.
First you are relying on negative pressure in your room to suck fresh air in through a filter. That means your miners don't have enough air to cycle.
Second the little air you bring in is already at the maximum operating temperature of those miners.
PSU's operating at such temperatures loose efficiency, cables don't work properly ... so many things I can't even begin to consider.
I would sincerely suggest you invest in a good fire suppression system or a good home insurance if you are to keep this setup. Or at least do it in a shed in your back yard far away from your house.

I visited an miner hosting facility and they had a similar setup, in Fort Lauridale, Florida . as i understood it they too did not have additional cooling or forced intake, they had only exhausts systems.. Also CCN (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zae_QeItIg) for the GPU setup also is only using exhaust.. (His advantage is intake air is relative cooler..)
While my room is always 93F which is about 33C all my cards are at 65C which is what i set the temps too.. my GPU fans on most are 60% which is also what i set them too..

But point duly noted for the fire systems and insurance Smiley http://
abudfv2008

Activity: 728
Merit: 106

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 04:37:04 PM

Cooling with AC? Double electricity costs. For what?  Roll Eyes
Only air flow is a solution. Make real wind - and 47C won't be a problem - dust will.
But don't know how to make it strong and quite. I have it on roof - 4*500mm fans with 6700m3/hour each. Equivalent of 200*GTX1060 is easily handled.
Thevaibhvav.arora

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 07:12:04 PM

Cooling with AC? Double electricity costs. For what?  Roll Eyes
Only air flow is a solution. Make real wind - and 47C won't be a problem - dust will.
But don't know how to make it strong and quite. I have it on roof - 4*500mm fans with 6700m3/hour each. Equivalent of 200*GTX1060 is easily handled.

I am assuming that given the fans are on the roof you are using them as exhaust. Is that right ? 
DesertMiner

Activity: 60
Merit: 3

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 07:35:28 PM

For the love of God do not use evaporative coolers around your electronic equipment.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: