Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:48:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Uganda Bans VPNs To Prevent Users From Dodging Its Absurd New Social Media Tax  (Read 249 times)
BCSHonda

Activity: 392
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 12:21:06 PM

While I'd love to say that I'm surprised by a third world corruption-riddled nation doing such a thing, I'd be lying if I was to say I'm surprised. Of course, this corrupted country is going to start taxing anything under the sun, that's the first sign of a government which is going out of control.

Makes no sense, hopefully, the people of Uganda can cause enough issues and protests that the government will rethink the decision. But until then, countries should start disavowing them. Maybe even some of the big tech companies will leave the country and cripple the government completely, I guess we'll see.
It is backward with advances now that there are still bad habits. Hopes the nation will soon see what they are doing right or wrong. The fact that this will exist will greatly affect the relationship. In particular, there will be no chance of developing with the great powers of the world.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Agniya

Activity: 282
Merit: 4

dApps Development Automation Platform

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 12:25:19 PM

It's just a nightmare. Wow freedom of choice. Although from Uganda what to expect.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬⬢          Buddy          ⬢▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Decentralized Development Automation Platform
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬⬢ token.buddy.works ⬢▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 11:47:08 PM

Wow. Basically, they just disincentivised the use of international social media AND now have a "legitimate" reason to ban VPNs from being used in their country. Talk about killing two birds with one stone.

The question has to be asked, are they really trying to profit off the tax, which is completely unreasonable, or are they just trying to take a huge step towards restrict access to international media within Uganda? Do they really expect people to cough up "subscription fees" for using services that aren't even state owned?

I honestly don't know if this is just a poor attempt to boost government revenue, or there's some deeper meaning to it. Either way, I do feel sorry for the Ugandans that have to live under these conditions. Terrible.
huhhuh18

Activity: 250
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 11:59:25 PM

African leaders are getting used to always finding dubious means of getting money from the citizens and the sad thing is that those monies they take don't serve their purpose. Officials squander them and that's why the people are finding ways to dodge that social media taxation law.

veil                            /////  PRIVACY WITHOUT COMPROMISE.  /////
https://veil-project.com/
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: