Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:23:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Dogecoin is not Safe.  (Read 4220 times)
tk808 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 01:53:38 AM

2) Infinite supply, you do know what infinite is? Because i can't comprehend infinity.

There’s been a lot of misunderstanding and confusion going around dogecoin’s inflation rate recently. For some reason, people don’t understand it very well. Some people will notice that dogecoin  increases by 5 billion coins every year after 2014. Forever. That is when they start to freak out. Then they panic and declare dogecoin a sinking ship and cash out all their doges. They are idiots, and here’s why:

Firstly, Monetary inflation does not mean price inflation. It is possible for a currency to increase in supply and value at the same time. For instance, bitcoin grew 10000% in price the same year when its monetary base also increased by 13%.

Secondly, consider that in the second year of dogecoin’s existence, we will have a 5% increase in total money supply. Do you know what bitcoin and litecoin had? Here’s a convenient table for you.

Of course, the difference is that dogecoin continues adding to its supply by 5 Billion coins each year, whilst bitcoin and litecoin will continue to halve to zero.

Do you want to take a guess at which year dogecoin will catch up to bitcoin in total monetary supply added?

The year 2174.

You won’t even live that long.

This is the misleading part about Dogecoin’s monetary supply. People see the scary “5 billion coins added each year!!!” statement and they start pissing their pants at vivid imagery of Weimar’s hyperinflation. They forget that Dogecoin is way ahead of the curve, because instead of halving every 4 years as bitcoin or litecoin does, it halves every 1.5 months. This gives it a lot of room to catch up, even if the total monetary supply increases by 5 Billion coins indefinitely.

Here’s the thing. Imagine you wanted to create the best, most profit-maximizing coin possible. What specifications would you want? Obviously, you’d want a coin that halves in rewards as quickly as possible. The faster it halves, the more coins you get (because you mined it since the beginning), and the less coins others get. This also makes the coin rarer, so as supply drops, demand goes up.

But on the other hand, you can’t have the coin halve too quickly. If you did that, there would be accusations of the coin being an instamine scamcoin. One halving every 2~ months sounds about right.

What happens when it stops halving? After that, you want a static, minimal, eternal block reward to support and encourage miners. Miners not only secure the network, but it makes up for lost, destroyed, or stolen coins, which leads to lower levels of volatility and a more secure infrastructure. They also help generate interest in the coin. This is paradoxically good for the value of the coin in the long run. This is where you get the profits.

Dogecoin has all of these traits. Dogecoin’s block rewards are perfectly optimized to be worth as much as possible. Not even bitcoin or litecoin accomplishes that. Why halve in four years, when you can do it in two months?

This should be obvious. And yet people on all sides of the inflation argument appear confused and needlessly agitated. It’s not just the anti-inflation sides of dogecoin that are angry and tout falsehoods. Even the dogeflation proponents on my side argue completely awfully.

For instance, there’s a popular rhetoric about “dogecoin having inflation is good because it incentivizes people to spend money, thus promoting dogecoin”.

This is wrong on so many levels.

That logic will only apply if you are only allowed to use one currency. In the case of Government mandated fiat currency, this applies, because you only have one currency to choose from. Therefore you want to spend your dollars as soon as possible. In cryptocurrency, where there are over nine thousand possible competing alternatives, if dogecoin loses value in the long run, everyone would go buy a non-dogecoin cryptocurrency instead.

This is the kind of pseudo-Keynesianism that gives Keynes a bad name. But I digress. This argument is further invalid because Dogecoin will not have inflation. Dogecoin is going to increase in value. Massively. This entire essay is dedicated to arguing that.

Dogecoin is a deflationary currency. It is NOT inflationary.

From: http://tuxedage.wordpress.com/2014/02/06/a-serious-analysis-of-dogecoin-or-why-i-am-all-in-on-dogecoin/

None of this is vaild, bitcoin is at 12 million after 3 years, doge is at 48 billion in 1 month. There is a influx of supply which will hurt the demand. If doge was more scarce, then an inflation would seem to have merit.

You compared two different beasts, nice post but try again

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 02:07:41 AM

agreed and hey.. since you guys think your funny and say crap like "think of the children"
he is Wink

and i still think the ORLY owl meme would have been a better coin to make hahaha

Yarly !

only part you missed touching on is the cancerous disease in crypto of these guys getting it popular and on exchanges in the first place..

you think it's bad now ? what is it going to be like when these guys call out to the world all people like us come here and Ponzi for cash !
Got ANN ?
It'll be a thousand times worse with 100x more fanatical delusional Doge brats and this forum is going to end up if it's not already as 4chan 2.0 for scammers
We need to attract people like that ? It's funny they want the highest level of pro support for exchanges being run by pro's
..for the snotty brats that are taking over the scene.
Do the hard work so we can play and scam and spend BTC !!!!
It's a joke ? ok fine.. then lets runs some joke exchanges too right ? after all it's just having much fun very yes ?
come on cryptsy chat and watch angry furious ranting Doge brats flip the hell out and rage when their deposit aren't going quick enough. lol

FUD first & ask questions later™
Xenopus

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 03:10:31 AM

agreed and hey.. since you guys think your funny and say crap like "think of the children"
he is Wink

and i still think the ORLY owl meme would have been a better coin to make hahaha

Yarly !

only part you missed touching on is the cancerous disease in crypto of these guys getting it popular and on exchanges in the first place..

you think it's bad now ? what is it going to be like when these guys call out to the world all people like us come here and Ponzi for cash !
Got ANN ?
It'll be a thousand times worse with 100x more fanatical delusional Doge brats and this forum is going to end up if it's not already as 4chan 2.0 for scammers
We need to attract people like that ? It's funny they want the highest level of pro support for exchanges being run by pro's
..for the snotty brats that are taking over the scene.
Do the hard work so we can play and scam and spend BTC !!!!
It's a joke ? ok fine.. then lets runs some joke exchanges too right ? after all it's just having much fun very yes ?
come on cryptsy chat and watch angry furious ranting Doge brats flip the hell out and rage when their deposit aren't going quick enough. lol

'Fuck is this shit?

BTC: 17mV6VCMnbYbrhJfsxCEZm9y3CL1qb6jFC
broken_pixel

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 03:26:40 AM

Don't like a coin? Do not mine it, buy it or talk shit about it.  Kiss

GA-990FXA-UD5, 1x 7970L, 2x S1, AX1200i, RIVBE, 2x R290x, NEX1500, BTC: 1G9cQix8bMgh35MQ9wY3Rb9yNSSCtnoRmK, DGC: DFo9FcKYsutv9Vx5c5xUzkrt7VJdECZWTM, LTC: LaAN33aktPGaimN5ALL9kjHjuJekfmKfTh
pyds1977

Activity: 61
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:04:37 AM

You forgot to mind the most deadly thing for doge - its hashrate will go down. Twice every 2 months. The coin will die from 51 attack approximatelly in 3-4Q 2014.
god i hope so...

That's what i worry about!!! Miners' gone, how to protect the net?
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 09:41:52 AM

Don't like a coin? Do not mine it, buy it or talk shit about it.  Kiss

if you can not accept that other people are entitled to their opinion i suggest you stfu.
and i will mine and bitch about a coin of i choose to that is my choice not yours.. try and stop me

disclaimer:
i have never mined Doge and i seriously doubt i would.. far more useful and older and very profitable scrypt clones to chose from.

Truth hurts eh Doge fanboys ?
Too damn bad ..suck it up !

FUD first & ask questions later™
Acidyo

Activity: 588

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 10:17:39 AM

What is even the point about this post? Do you want to warn people about losing money?

how about you look into the daily shitstorm of coins that are spawning like tiny spiders hatching from eggs and stealing your btc while getting you to think that you will profit from it.

Altcoins are good but in a certain amount.

If I were to choose I would kill everything except the few unique coins that aren't 99% copied from litecoin.

Only a few stand out and Doge is one of them because of it's ability to get more newcomers into cryptos and btc. All the other coins can go die in a fire.
ak111in

Activity: 180
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 10:21:36 AM

1) Marketing is part of life, even if it's evil.

2) The supply is limited per year. Yes technically if you were to wait until the end of time there would be infinte DOGE, but that's not a very useful point.
If it ever becomes the case that there is too much DOGE they can just change the client.

3) doge has already outgrown the meme.

4) There's nothing wrong or unprofitable about leisure. I'd say they are more geeks anyway which is why they're able to build such a huge community so quickly.
Again, doge as a currency has already outgrown the meme, if the meme gets old people will just ignore that aspect of it. You don't have to speak "doge-talk" to use the currency.

5) It has already become something greater.

+1
SecretWolf

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 10:38:31 AM

Reminder: The people who make these threads are butthurt litecoiners. Litecoin is the myspace of cryptocurrencies, doge is facebook on steroids
vleroybrown

Activity: 1145
Merit: 506

This is who we are.

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 10:50:04 AM

Litecoin and dogecoin both have lost their uniqueness to btc in the distributed mining potential in the coming months as scrypt asics arrive in mass.  Smart money who like either coin can buy 51% of the network chaching they own the whole coin for much less than the coinmarket cap.  Don't think for a second that the alt coin market is not going to have some institution type money move on these opportunities to control popular coins turning the diehards into pawns.  This to me means dozens of coin overlords in the various regions/industries that p2p currency influences by the many clear advantages it offers.  But to think we can take manipulation completely out of systems through broader distribution than ever before is naive with the current crop of coins.
Burninj
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 11:01:03 AM

Reminder: The people who make these threads are butthurt litecoiners. Litecoin is the myspace of cryptocurrencies, doge is facebook on steroids

Love that one
mashac

Activity: 560

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 12:51:19 PM

You forgot to mind the most deadly thing for doge - its hashrate will go down. Twice every 2 months. The coin will die from 51 attack approximatelly in 3-4Q 2014.

Lol... can't be more wrong.... When supply halves the price'll increase and the miners profitability will remain the same.... Why are people so stupid that they not seeing this...?
vleroybrown

This is who we are.

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 01:01:04 PM

Lol... can't be more wrong.... When supply halves the price'll increase and the miners profitability will remain the same.... Why are people so stupid that they not seeing this...?

There was no immediate correlation between bitcoin block halving and price increase FYI..  so tell me more about things you see because I see mining profits about fall by half on a group of miners consisting of easily half profit jumpers.
WompRat

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 01:09:36 PM

There was no immediate correlation between bitcoin block halving and price increase FYI..  so tell me more about things you see because I see mining profits about fall by half on a group of miners consisting of easily half profit jumpers.

I am not sure we have seen enough popular coins halve to say what the market will do.  I am not a miner, so I don't really know, but if people drop out, doesn't the difficulty reduce until it becomes just profitable enough for the remainder?  I also think some will carry on mining at a loss in expectation of a price rise.  I think this was the case in November 2012.  
vleroybrown

This is who we are.

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 01:19:33 PM

Yes there is a gravity feature to mining difficulty that was talked about being implemented in dogecoin by the devs.  I am not following that close enough to know if they did since they also originally said they would cap the coins after block rewards were done so who knows what they will do.  Expectation of a price increase in the coin valuation makes it much better to buy coins rather than invest money in mining.  IMHO doge coin is a prime candidate for a 51% attack in the next 6 months since a perfect environment will likely exsist to profitably do so.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: