Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 02:06:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying - market reacting very maturely to the malleability issue  (Read 2617 times)
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:40:40 AM

The market is reacting VERY maturely to a "major" issue: despite of devs trying to downplay the transaction malleability thing, the hard cold fact is that this limitation is being exploited right now to launch a DoS attack to the network which is slowing down (if not outright halting) the bitcoin economy. I've been sending coins to quite a few services for testing purposes (Bitstamp, Dgex, etc.) and all of my transfers were "mutated" and thus the coins were sent to the correct destination but they weren't credited to the corresponding accounts. Most transactions are delayed and big players such as Bitstamp, Gox or Coinbase are having problems tracking correctly the transactions.

Still BTC is trading well above $600 everywhere but Gox. This is a sign of strength in my book. Be prepared to buy, guys, because the network will come out MUCH stronger after this issue is solved.

(cross-posted in the Wall Observer).

seldon

Activity: 353
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:52:23 AM

Will be interesting to see if we have the same effect on trust and thus price as the fork last year
bitcoinlitcoinbtcltc

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:52:28 AM

The market is reacting VERY maturely to a "major" issue: despite of devs trying to downplay the transaction malleability thing, the hard cold fact is that this limitation is being exploited right now to launch a DoS attack to the network which is slowing down (if not outright halting) the bitcoin economy. I've been sending coins to quite a few services for testing purposes (Bitstamp, Dgex, etc.) and all of my transfers were "mutated" and thus the coins were sent to the correct destination but they weren't credited to the corresponding accounts. Most transactions are delayed and big players such as Bitstamp, Gox or Coinbase are having problems tracking correctly the transactions.

Still BTC is trading well above $600 everywhere but Gox. This is a sign of strength in my book. Be prepared to buy, guys, because the network will come out MUCH stronger after this issue is solved.

You fool.
You still don't realize that over 50% of all bitcoins are controlled by a few people.
The only reason bitcoin is not crashing hard is because they are postponing the dump.
And FBI has yet to sell 144k bitcoins.

fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:54:10 AM

There is also the sheepmarketplace guy with ~ 100000 stolen BTC
How´s he doin btw.?
He might wanna cash out anytime soon.

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:57:08 AM

The fact you low-activity-noobs spend your day trying to spread FUD in this forum is just a strong signal that this is a good time to buy. Probably soon we will see an even better chance.

As soon as you low-activity-noobs start posting "to the moon" and that kind of euphoria-driven posts, then it will be the time to sell.

That strategy never failed, did you know?

ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:04:41 AM

Based on statistical analysis of "low-activity noobs" I estimate with a 55% probability that the bottom will be in 23 days at 470$ (235*2). BECAUSE SCIENCE AND REASONS! fnord

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:09:42 AM

The fact you low-activity-noobs spend your day trying to spread FUD in this forum is just a strong signal that this is a good time to buy. Probably soon we will see an even better chance.

As soon as you low-activity-noobs start posting "to the moon" and that kind of euphoria-driven posts, then it will be the time to sell.

Don't tell them that because there is random chance (low but still) that they will understand this some day. And who will be entertaining us then.

seldon

Activity: 353

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:13:56 AM

Every now and then I click un-ignore just to immediately regret it. Won't fall for it this time though.
synthesis

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:16:20 AM

Couldn't agree more. Even with the state that Gox is in at the moment. If I was verified with them I would happily fund a purchase there. Ridiculously low coins for a site where the coins are historically more valued than the fiat.

I would suggest anything 650 and below will prove a very good buy
Mythul

Activity: 644

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:16:57 AM

The reaction is positive. No point in killing bitcoin for one bug. People worked their asses of so that bitcoin reach this stage and they won't let it down for one stupid bug.

BTW, Bitcoin didn't ever reach the 1.0.0 version Wink
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 4510

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:53:13 AM

the network will come out MUCH stronger after this issue is solved.

My thoughts exactly. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

LOL How true.
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 11:06:17 AM

Indeed!
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 11:28:31 AM

I digress. What if it actually comes out weaker because merchants get turned off and decide not to adopt it.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 11:30:07 AM
Last edit: February 12, 2014, 12:13:06 PM by Blitz­

I digress. What if it actually comes out weaker because merchants get turned off and decide not to adopt it.
Who cares about merchants? They only serve to increase liquidity and depress prices.

Bitcoin's true value is in its enforced scarcity bound to a digital asset with 0 counterparty risk.

On Rampion: I do remember him laughing at me and going "this time is different" back in the quadruple digits … Nobody's perfect. Cheesy
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:05:12 PM

Every now and then I click un-ignore just to immediately regret it. Won't fall for it this time though.

Hahaha, exactly the same here. I sometimes see those clusters of hidden comments (like the ones above, to which Rampion responded), and think "why did I put user XYZ on ignore again...?", click unhide, and go like "jup. that's why."

@Rampion

Good to see you in here again. And good to see you acting as a voice of reason, as always.

I will say one thing that is maybe not completely aligned to your thinking: we are still in a (pretty well established by now) bear market. If you buy in now, you're probably not going to regret it in a year from now, but alternatively, one can also bet on price still going lower.

Note, I'm not saying you shouldn't buy -- of course, everyone's buying (or trading) strategy is different. What I'm saying is, it's probably not a bad time to buy now *but* you might have to sit through another month or so of downward movement, so newcomers should be aware of that.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:16:51 PM

That's what you get when you post this thread in the speculative board! Speculative answers!  Tongue
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:26:31 PM

Hahaha, exactly the same here. I sometimes see those clusters of hidden comments (like the ones above, to which Rampion responded), and think "why did I put user XYZ on ignore again...?", click unhide, and go like "jup. that's why."

@Rampion

Good to see you in here again. And good to see you acting as a voice of reason, as always.

I will say one thing that is maybe not completely aligned to your thinking: we are still in a (pretty well established by now) bear market. If you buy in now, you're probably not going to regret it in a year from now, but alternatively, one can also bet on price still going lower.

Note, I'm not saying you shouldn't buy -- of course, everyone's buying (or trading) strategy is different. What I'm saying is, it's probably not a bad time to buy now *but* you might have to sit through another month or so of downward movement, so newcomers should be aware of that.

Well, I think that *probably* we will see lower prices soon. I bought at $550ish on Stamp, but exactly 50% of my fresh fiat is waiting for lower prices.

Quote from: Blitz
On Rampion: I do remember him laughing at me and going "this time is different" back in the quadruple digits … Nobody's perfect. Cheesy

Well, all your "good by triple digits", "no more triple digits this year" posts were perfect to made fun of when we reached the quadruple digits Smiley

Anyhow I guess you will agree that "that time was different", as post-April 10th we didn't enter a loooooong slide down for many months as it happened in 2011. In fact the very bottom ($50) was only 2 days after the peak ($266), so I'd say that it was indeed very different.

What never changes: bitcoin is prone to boom and bust cycles. Buy during panic sells, sell during euphoria - and enjoy the ride.

MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 01:32:19 PM

Frankly, I find the FUD from the low activity noobs more palatable than all this endless 'The Titanic is not Sinking, Hooray, Hurrah' happy happy talk that has plagued this forum all the way down from $1000.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Cyberlight

Activity: 308

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 01:40:41 PM

Frankly, I find the FUD from the low activity noobs more palatable than all this endless 'The Titanic is not Sinking, Hooray, Hurrah' happy happy talk that has plagued this forum all the way down from $1000.
Funny to hear from a authentic low-activity-noob.
the_sunship

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 01:49:57 PM

if we are to compare Bitcoin to the early stages of the internet, that wasn't secure either. It took a few years before major security in browsers and websites were in full implementation. How did developers learn to make the internet more secure? Through attacks such as this. Noone went running out the door saying "this can never work!"

In the meantime, paper wallets.  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: