Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 06:05:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Top ten technical issues facing BTC  (Read 2989 times)
creekbore (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Lazy, cynical and insolent since 1968

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:41:27 AM
Last edit: February 12, 2014, 10:42:46 AM by creekbore

Saw an interview with Greg Maxwell shortly after the malleability issue broke and he (to paraphrase) said he had known of the issue for some time and wouldn't have put it in the top ten of issues facing BTC from a technical PoV.

Which begs the question: what are those top ten issues?

EDIT: Just noticed Greg mods this forum...so that's good  Cheesy  Perhaps he could post the list as he sees it.

"Markets always move in the direction to hurt the most investors." AnonyMint
"Market depth is meaningless" AdamstgBit
e4xit

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:16:13 AM

Hi Glen!  Cheesy

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:38:21 AM

Good question but maybe it should wait a couple of days until the malleability issue is fixed.

Note: His name is Greg/Gregory.
creekbore (OP)

Activity: 210

Lazy, cynical and insolent since 1968

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:42:09 AM

Good question but maybe it should wait a couple of days until the malleability issue is fixed.

Note: His name is Greg/Gregory.

Sincere apologies...OP edited.  Embarrassed

"Markets always move in the direction to hurt the most investors." AnonyMint
"Market depth is meaningless" AdamstgBit
nmersulypnem

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 01:28:26 PM

I would think one of the biggest is the transaction (TPS) limit.  I mean people gloss over the fact that Bitcoin simply *cannot* be used to process more than 5-10 transactions per second and with a processing time of 10-15 minutes.  They claim that payment processors like Coinbase and bitpay can act as intermediaries, but they fail to realize that by using those, you've just replaced one evil (Visa, Paypal) with another, and negated a huge portion of the value-add that people are expecting Bitcoin to fulfill (which I believe also accounts for a substantial portion of the price).

What's more infuriating is that since key members of the bitcoin foundation are involved in those ventures - this limitation isn't even being seriously addressed (except for the minor blocksize increase in the next version - which is still not nearly sufficient).

There are solutions - like what Ethereum is trying by using a block tree, rather than a simple chain - but someone else can probably explain that better.
maaku
Legendary
expert

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 07:44:39 PM

What's more infuriating is that since key members of the bitcoin foundation are involved in those ventures - this limitation isn't even being seriously addressed (except for the minor blocksize increase in the next version - which is still not nearly sufficient).

Not all developers are working for the foundation or these companies.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 08:04:00 PM

There are solutions - like what Ethereum is trying by using a block tree, rather than a simple chain - but someone else can probably explain that better.

I don't think the blocktree in Ethereum's configuration really addresses this, as the block times are still one minute (or at least, were when I last talk to Vitalik).  Aside from that, extremely fast blocktree implementations (as in the GHOST paper) still requires tx to traverse the network among different nodes and will probably hit bandwidth problems comparable to Bitcoin, if not worse because very large numbers of blocks containing the same tx will be hitting the network at nearly the same time any given second.  It's more a solution to the problem of insecurity introduced by large blocks on a slow network.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
phoenox

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 11:47:34 PM

Another issue related to transaction speed is the blockchain bloat.  Once blockchain pruning has been implemented then it will be more practical to increase the transactions per block.

One thing that I see as a major issue is the centrilization of mining.  The proof of work mining system as implemented creates an advantage for economies of scale.  To be a profitable bitcoin miner it is helpfull(necessary?) to have a huge asic farm.  It would be preferable if mining was done as part of the decentrilized network, but it seems to be headed towards a situation where only a few big players will be able to mine.  Then there will be nothing stopping these few players from colluding to controll the network.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: