Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 05:12:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So It Wasnt All Down To Gox?  (Read 2107 times)
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 04:14:08 PM

There are two very different problems here.
Mtgox had a bug in their wallet that made them lose some funds due to transaction malleability. This is their fault, they should have fixed it when they were warned years ago, but they didnt. If people panicked because of their announcement it is because those people didn't trust mtgox in the first place. No panic was to be had with the statement they produced.

On a second note, by bringing to light the problem of transaction malleability, someone started to DDoS the bitcoin network. This put malleability on the top priority list for bitcoin, if it wasn't there as gregory maxwell says in his interview.

So i feel that mtgox is at fault for not updating their software when suggested, but it turns out for the better that this DDoS happened because of their flaw now, rather than later. Both mtgox and the btc foundation should have been more careful with their statements, instead of pushing blame to eachother.

They should all be fired.

all of them.

having no one in charge is better
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 04:21:03 PM

How come all the major exchanges had experienced the same problem, even though the problem was already known. Did they use the same code? Or did they all ignore the problem tough it would go away?

They didn't have the same problem.

MtGox = lets naively keep paying the same customer over and over and over on withdraws so he can steal coins.  Oh crap we just lost a small fortune so lets shutdown and blame Bitcoin.

A few other exchange = the DDOS and the way the reference client handles unconfirmed change outputs is caused us to generate broken withdraws so lets suspend withdraws until the patch to not spend unconfirmed change outputs is released.

Some other exchanges ( including https://bitsimple.com ) = Yup we are still open.  Right this second.

Starting to see the difference?
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 04:34:49 PM

This was the reason for my orginal post, I am usnure Gox deserved all the screaming outrage and rabid posts that were aimed in their direction, maybe just some Smiley

The way they dealt with it was. How was that affecting them until they blabbed?
WesandEAC

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 04:36:38 PM

You guys crack me up.  Did any of you read Satoshi's white paper? You are free to innovate and create things with in Bitcoin including its client.  Coinbase or the others are just interpretations.  Some work better than others but everyone has the right to create API's and interfaces in the way they see fit BECAUSE...............

THIS IS AN EXPERIMENT!! hahaha  Babies.

Gox has done a better job of transparency in my opinion and innovation than the others and with out them Bitcoin would not exist plain and simple.  I disagree with Kaperles A LOT BUT he owes me NOTHING and he owes you nothing.  Have you directly compensated him for his time.  You should be thankful for what he has done and if I lose millions I will feel the same way.

Be visionary, provide solutions, create, innovate and stop pointing if you want to create value.  Some of my solutions are coming soon.  We require no pre-buzz.  You will figure them out on your own soon but I have left my life some time ago and dedicated all my efforts and time to the movement in many forms.  

An just a little commentary.  You could say I made a bet of a life time Wink And no offense Cameron and Tyler - you have very little to bring to this game in my opinion offering a product to benefit off of the demise of BTC by offering a short mechanism to do so.  Short mechanisms have some academic dogma behind them but that is because they served a purpose in a place where MARKET MAKERS EXIST and free markets DO NOT!  In BTC it is truly a free market mechanism, subject to natural pump and dumps, maximum points of fear and greed and everything else in between.  Buy it or sell it but do not allow people to short it.  You guys seriously need to be euthanised - just stop meddling and go play tennis or something.  These two have a black cloud over them in my opinion.  They are a risk to BTC hehe.  Mark figured this out years ago, you saps are climbing on board.  This differentiates wealth and lack of wealth amongst us, believe me.
CoinChex

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 04:43:37 PM

WesandEAC, not really sure what you are getting at but I'll just leave it.  Yes Bitcoin is an experiment, just like Facebook and the internet and electric cars and electricity.

As for Gox, of course they are to blame. Gox broadcast it's incompetency for the whole world to see, shining a bright light on Bitcoin instead of it's own failures as an exchange.  In doing so it disrupted the economy and created this network wide attacked on bitcoin transaction malleability.  If it's not Gox, I'm not really sure who else you could blame for it....
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: