Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:53:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Currency idea: Block reward based on mining difficulty  (Read 2461 times)
JohnDoe (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 07:15:31 PM
Last edit: October 05, 2011, 03:04:32 PM by JohnDoe

EDIT: New reward algorithm is nSubsidy = log2(difficulty)

This method of money creation to achieve a stable monetary policy has been suggested before but has been shot down quickly on the assumption that it would create hyperinflation. I agree that, because of technological progress, increasing difficulty by X amount will be cheaper in the future than it is now, but I propose that the relative effort of increasing difficulty by X% should have little variance over time. In other words, going from 1,000,000 difficulty to 2,000,000 at some point in the future will be as cheap as going from 1,000 to 2,000 right now. Thus the block reward could be a function of the difficulty growth rate to maintain stability.
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bobnova

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 07:24:58 PM

That goes directly against the concept of putting out X coins per Y time.  In bitcoins case, 50 coins per 10 minutes.

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 07:28:12 PM

"but I propose that the relative effort of increasing difficulty by X% should have little variance over time. In other words, going from 1,000,000 difficulty to 2,000,000 at some point in the future will be as cheap as going from 1,000 to 2,000 right now."

You are making a major assumption. It depends on what you want to achieve. Do you want more coins to be awarded as more people join the network? Because that is the primary force behind bitcoin's difficulty at this point. Down the road it will be improvements in hardware and so on, but it is not possible to account for both the number of computers and the power of those computers in one equation. At least not in the way bitcoin does it.

Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 08:15:16 PM

It's interesting, but will be very tricky to do properly. Assuming miners spend a constant amount on hardware over time, block rewards would go up 25% every 18 months, right? That's probably too much inflation even for a Keynesian currency. I'm assuming you want below 3% annual inflation, which means your payoff function should factor in % increase in the money supply too. You would have to get your econ math right the first time.

Good luck!
Explodicle

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 09:28:12 PM

Moore's law. Roughly speaking, the same money will buy you twice as many hash/s in 18 months.
Bobnova

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 10:33:56 PM

Ahh but the new $1000 card produces twice the hashes at roughly the same power consumption.

ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 11:25:48 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koomey's_law

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 12:08:56 AM

Doesn't sound too far-fetched, wouldn't be terribly surprised if the biggest single-GPU card ends up around 3.2-3.5Mh/J or so and a downclocked dual-GPU variant at least close to 4Mh/J.

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
johnj

Activity: 154

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 01:01:19 AM

From what I've read about the 7x series, it'll give (very roughly) 1.25x more mh/s, while only requiring half the power.

IIRC, 800 ALU @ 50w, 1600 ALU @ 90w (where as the 5770 is 800 @ ~100w and the 5870 is 1600 @ ~200w)

(i may have some of my numbers mixed up, but i believe that's the jist)

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
Explodicle

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 02:32:17 AM

Most impressive. So I guess we should continue with nSubsidy = log(difficulty) for the purpose of discussion? Raise hands if you prefer logarithm.

(Raises hand)
d.james

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 11:53:03 PM

what about: Coins mined during a higher difficulty is worth more than coins mined during lower difficulty.

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
Bobnova

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 12:06:22 AM

6990 isn't 18 months newer than 5970.
Wait for the 7990.

t3a

Activity: 179

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 04:48:10 AM

This would change confirm times, but if confirm times were quick like with Geist Geld then it could work well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would have to be a linear relationship between difficulty and coin/block rather than exponential like you have in that chart. Otherwise you would the number of blocks/(arbitrary time unit) go down exponentially.

Advertise here for 10btc/day
Explodicle

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 01:08:00 PM

what about: Coins mined during a higher difficulty is worth more than coins mined during lower difficulty.

That would make it difficult to price goods. More coins of equal value accomplishes the same thing, but you could be more certain how much they're worth.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2011, 01:15:22 PM

I like the idea of a logarithmic inflation curve and thought about that myself.
You pretty much want to approach the natural logarithm with it and model the rewards to meet it.

If done right this could give more long term stability since economical development follows the natural logarithm.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2011, 04:53:20 PM

I like the idea of a logarithmic inflation curve and thought about that myself.
You pretty much want to approach the natural logarithm with it and model the rewards to meet it.

What do you mean by "approaching" the natural logarithm? There's no difference in using base e, base 10 or base 2, the reward growth rate slows down at the same pace with any base.

Not exactly e is quite unique in this matter, it's not really about the growth rate but rather about the "divisibility" of the currency in regards to spending. Base 2 is the second best choice for a physical currency, best is 3 however in our case we can exploit the base e which for a physical currency is just a idealistic assumption but in our case a practical possibility.
see this article: (I have to admit I might not have fully understood it and this might be a wrong assumption, but you might look into it )
www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/third-base
t3a

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 05:18:25 AM

How would it change confirm times? nSubsidy and nTargetSpacing have nothing to do with each other.
If the value/block was increasing and the target spacing was staying the same then you would have exponentially more coins as the difficulty increased.

I assumed you would have the target spacing decrease so there was a constant number coins being produced.

t3a

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 11:30:32 PM

Not exactly e is quite unique in this matter, it's not really about the growth rate but rather about the "divisibility" of the currency in regards to spending. Base 2 is the second best choice for a physical currency, best is 3 however in our case we can exploit the base e which for a physical currency is just a idealistic assumption but in our case a practical possibility.

That sounds very vague to me. How does base e make a cryptocurrency more divisible than base 2?

If the value/block was increasing and the target spacing was staying the same then you would have exponentially more coins as the difficulty increased.

I assumed you would have the target spacing decrease so there was a constant number coins being produced.

No, I'm not trying to make production either exponential or constant. If I wanted exponential I would use a linear relationship between reward and difficulty, like 1 coin per point of difficulty. If I wanted constant I would just make the reward 50 coins forever and be done with it.
Yes, that's what I'm saying.
If you have one block every ten minutes, then you have one block every ten minutes.

If the difficulty goes up, then you have more coins/block, but still one block every ten minutes.

This means that you either expect the difficulty to stay constant, or to go down. Otherwise you will have an exponentially increasing number of coins.

Explodicle

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 12:53:46 PM

That sounds very vague to me. How does base e make a cryptocurrency more divisible than base 2?

No, I'm not trying to make production either exponential or constant. If I wanted exponential I would use a linear relationship between reward and difficulty, like 1 coin per point of difficulty. If I wanted constant I would just make the reward 50 coins forever and be done with it.
If you have one block every ten minutes, then you have one block every ten minutes.

If the difficulty goes up, then you have more coins/block, but still one block every ten minutes.

This means that you either expect the difficulty to stay constant, or to go down. Otherwise you will have an exponentially increasing number of coins.

The number of coins per block is f(x). Just because x goes up exponentially does not mean f(x) does. For example, if he was using f(x)=1/x, then the number of coins per block would approach zero.
t3a

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 02:45:36 PM

The number of coins per block is f(x). Just because x goes up exponentially does not mean f(x) does. For example, if he was using f(x)=1/x, then the number of coins per block would approach zero.

If that is true, his difficulty/reward chart is completely misleading.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: