Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:41:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BOUNTY] sha256 shader for Linux OSS video drivers (15 BTC pledged)  (Read 31262 times)
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 08:41:45 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2013, 11:34:04 PM by jgarzik

Become an open source hero, and help bitcoin too!

OK, I think this project would see some real return (in BTC) on Linux, for all the miners out there.  It would benefit open source as well.

The Project
-------------------------------------------------------
Successfully load and execute a sha256 "compute shader", using 100% open source video drivers on Linux (using closed source ATI tools to produce shader binary is permitted).  Any Linux OS/distribution, as long as it's a recent version.  Must work on ATI 5870/5970 hardware.

Rationale
1. In theory, the closed source ATI SDK and video driver should not be needed, once we have a compiled shader.  It would make life much easier on Linux, and expand our miner base, if stock open source drivers can be used for GPU mining.

2. Open source GPGPU efforts are moving slowly, and this would help jump-start those efforts, by providing a working example.  This has the potential to be a high profile contribution to the OSS community.

Details
According to some knowledgeable hackers, it should be possible to upload a "compute shader" using current Linux/OSS video drivers, via the Linux DRI APIs.  The programmer (or team) would need to figure out how to coax ATI's SDK to produce a compiled, binary object that is then loaded into an open source driver, and executed.

The person or team collecting this bounty will need to be able to accomplish tasks such as rebuilding and replacing the kernel, rebuilding and replacing Mesa (OpenGL/DRI), and rebuilding/replacing the X server.  Even though these are non-programming tasks, they are decidedly non-trivial.

This code (from ATI?) should be helpful in demonstrating how to work with 5870/5970 hardware: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/r600_demo/tree/?h=master

Although this task should be largely a "put together existing pieces and make them work" task, it is still quite complex.

The Pledges (in BTC)
I'm hoping to raise at least 200 BTC for this task, if not more.  Miners on Linux, consider pledging a block (or part of a block).

15     jgarzik

If you wish to pledge anonymously, send me a PM and I'll coordinate.

Pledges should be payable within 24 hours of a working example being posted publicly.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 09:02:12 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2013, 02:42:39 AM by Luke-Jr

I'm offering 50 BTC to the first only-open-source miner to achieve a minimum of 252 MH/s (that's 95% of my present 265 MH/s) on my Radeon 5850. To claim, please send me an email at luke+openminingbounty@dashjr.org with the SHA256 hash of your miner tbz2, in case this turns out to be a close race.

Edit: This offer is expired.

jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 12:23:32 AM

Bump.  Increased bounty to 400 BTC.

Here's a link showing several examples of asm shaders on ATI:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/tree/src/evergreen_shader.c

and here is some useful Mesa code for building asm shaders:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/src/mesa/drivers/dri/r600/r700_assembler.c
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/src/mesa/drivers/dri/r600/r700_shader.c

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Mahkul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
April 08, 2011, 12:20:53 PM

I will pledge 25 BTC for this.
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 04:17:18 PM

Bump, for the new arrivals.  Smiley

Zamicol

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 11:15:05 PM

Its not much, but I'll pledge 10 BTC.  Evey little bit(coin) counts right?  Cheesy
teknohog

Activity: 518
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2011, 09:45:08 AM

Here's another 10 BTC. With the recent USD price of bitcoins, I wouldn't even say "it's not much".

world famous math art | masternodes are bad, mmmkay?
Every sha(sha(sha(sha()))), every ho-o-o-old, still shines
xf2_org

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 08:26:03 PM

bump, and updated first post to include the two most recent pledges (from past 30 days).

At today's exchange rate, the bounty is over $3,100.

DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 09:24:04 PM

Become an open source hero, and help bitcoin too!

OK, I think this project would see some real return (in BTC) on Linux, for all the miners out there.  It would benefit open source as well.

The Project
Successfully load and execute a sha256 "compute shader", using 100% open source video drivers on Linux (using closed source ATI tools to produce shader binary is permitted).  Any Linux OS/distribution, as long as it's a recent version.  Must work on r600/r700 ATI hardware.

This is pointless. R600 cannot run compute shaders of the kind we need, R700 (Radeon 4xxx) suck at it.

Also, Mesa has a prototype OpenCL compiler for Gallium targets. Your "bounty" is technically already completed before you started.

If you really want to help open source, go work on that project instead.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 09:46:00 PM

I'm not a programmer, so I don't know what I'm talking about here, but could such a linux binary permit graphics hardware too old to use the current miners to contribute at a respectable hash/watt rate even if they such at the hash/second rate?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
xf2_org

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 12:02:29 AM

This is pointless. R600 cannot run compute shaders of the kind we need, R700 (Radeon 4xxx) suck at it.

That was a reference to the starting point for the architecture in the source code.  You find R700/R800/+ hardware support code in directories labelled "r600" due to several similarities.

Also, Mesa has a prototype OpenCL compiler for Gallium targets. Your "bounty" is technically already completed before you started.

If that was true, then somebody would have collected the $3000+ in free money.

DiabloD3
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2011, 02:15:50 AM

If that was true, then somebody would have collected the $3000+ in free money.

Not at all. Xorg nor FDO accept donations in BTC.

DiabloD3
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2011, 02:16:47 AM

I'm not a programmer, so I don't know what I'm talking about here, but could such a linux binary permit graphics hardware too old to use the current miners to contribute at a respectable hash/watt rate even if they such at the hash/second rate?

No. They lack the hardware design to run programs like this, plus they would be amazingly slow.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 03:53:54 AM

No. They lack the hardware design to run programs like this, plus they would be amazingly slow.

Slow is irrelevant, if they are efficient.  There are millions of them.  But if it's not possible, it's not possible.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
xf2_org

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 04:23:26 AM

Let's not get distracted by Diablo getting worked up over a directory name.

The bounty is for working on 5870/5970/6990 era hardware.

Basiley

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 04:35:59 AM

anyone with [deprecated]Render Monkey experience ?
note: using shader allow you to extract MORE from you GPU. also CAL implementation might me considerably faster than OpenCL one[why, how and some optimisation tricks was nuff said by BarsWF creator already].
and such experience also handy for porting solver in other areas[Linpack/Livermore shader ? Biology ? Meteorology ? Radiophysic]
DiabloD3
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2011, 06:51:43 AM

anyone with [deprecated]Render Monkey experience ?
note: using shader allow you to extract MORE from you GPU. also CAL implementation might me considerably faster than OpenCL one[why, how and some optimisation tricks was nuff said by BarsWF creator already].
and such experience also handy for porting solver in other areas[Linpack/Livermore shader ? Biology ? Meteorology ? Radiophysic]

ArtForz has a CAL miner that is slightly faster than the CL kernel poclbm and I based ours on. Its not particularly a huge win, especially when SDK 2.5 is getting rid of CAL support.

Also, I have experimented with GLSL-based miners. The lack of real integer support kills the whole thing.

Basiley

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 07:04:28 AM

:-(
DiabloD3
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2011, 07:06:51 AM

Well, its why OpenCL was invented in the first place. Using GLSL for even generic computing tasks that don't fit the OpenGL workflow is problematic and really not worth it.

I don't want to shoot down anyone's hopes, but Mesa already is growing OpenCL support for Gallium. What more could we possibly ask for?

Basiley

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 07:11:44 AM

Well, its why OpenCL was invented in the first place. Using GLSL for even generic computing tasks that don't fit the OpenGL workflow is problematic and really not worth it.

I don't want to shoot down anyone's hopes, but Mesa already is growing OpenCL support for Gallium. What more could we possibly ask for?
best wishes ?
quicker Gallium3D adoption ?
quicker Mesa development[along with Gallium3D] ?
better drivers[esp free drivers. now about 10x times slower than proprietary counterparts] ?
more suitable SDK' ?
AMD/NVidia support for both developers and OpenCL itself[today Intel CPU's had better OpenCL support than Nvidia GPU's].
and yes OpenCL/OpenGL ES is cool. at least in theory. heil glorious OpenMAXdeveloper
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: