Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 09:27:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP: New Mining Rig Not Powering On  (Read 8414 times)
alphacenturion (OP)

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:49:32 PM

Hi people.

I am hoping someone can help me. I have a new rig I'm attempting to setup but I can't get power.

I am using an:

AsRock H81 Pro BTC mobo
Seasonic 1250w Gold PSU
8 gb ram
Intel Pentium CPU
4 x MSI 280x

I connected everything up but the rig won't power on when I switch the on psu - I do get power to my external DVD drive so it would seem the mobo is getting some power but the cpu fan doesnt move and there is no led on the mobo (I dont know if this mobo has an led?)

I tried re-installing the cpu, removing all gpus and connections into the back of the PSU and unplugging one of the ram sticks. Nothing.

Does anyone have this mobo - psu setup? Where should I be plugging the cables?

Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help people.
kimpinz2

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 03:02:32 PM

"I tried re-installing the cpu, removing all gpus and connections into the back of the PSU and unplugging one of the ram sticks. Nothing"

Not entirely sure about what you mean with removing gpus (did you try to boot without).
But here's what I would do.

Remove all GPU's, Keep 1 memory stick in #1 slot. Remove all eventual USB things you have connected.
Does it boot?
Add the second memory and try again.
Does it boot?
Add 1 graphic card and try again.

If it doesn't boot, make sure everything is correctly connected. (Use motherboard handbook).
If everything is connected correctly try this with 1 GPU in the main slot and both memory sticks.

Find the CLEAR CMOS jumper on your motherboard. (Use handbook for ref.)
Normally it is 2-3 pins sticking up that you have to (shortcircuit? dont know the english word.)
by either using a key or some metal piece so that the two pins get currency between them.
On most new motherboards there are a little piece of plastic with metal inside them sitting on 2 of the 3 pins.

Like [ .  . ] .
Then move it so it is . [ . . ]
Powered off and PSU disconnected.
Then move it back again.

I had the same problem with cpu fan not running and stuff when I tried to overclock once so.
Give it a try.
alphacenturion (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 03:04:42 PM

Thanks - I will try that tonight and add some pictures of my connections so you experts can see if I have everything plugged in correctly or I'm being a muppet somewhere!
NitroKoS

Activity: 64

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 05:50:09 PM

Thanks - I will try that tonight and add some pictures of my connections so you experts can see if I have everything plugged in correctly or I'm being a muppet somewhere!

I hate to ask a stupid question but I've seen people do it before:

Did you power the ATX12V1 port next to the CPU?

BTC:     17MpnseYjWA3NHWVikxU5iqjsNVnfffHfZ
neflihim

Activity: 44

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 06:10:35 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2014, 06:32:05 PM by neflihim

Do you have a power switch connected to the board if this rig is not in a computer case?  You said you turn on the PSU and nothing happens but lights come on.  I am guessing you are doing this with the switch on the back of the PSU?  You still need to somehow short the 2 power switch pins on the motherboard by either using something metal to connect the 2 for a second or with a power switch.
alphacenturion (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 12:19:10 AM

I have already connected the ATX12V1 power cable I believe correctly - this is the one that goes into the CPU slot on the back of the PSU correct?

I tried removing everything except the CPU and 1 stick of ram from the board to no avail and then attempted the CMOS trick - no joy anywhere.

This is how the board and back of the PSU look:

Do you have a power switch connected to the board if this rig is not in a computer case?  You said you turn on the PSU and nothing happens but lights come on.  I am guessing you are doing this with the switch on the back of the PSU?  You still need to somehow short the 2 power switch pins on the motherboard by either using something metal to connect the 2 for a second or with a power switch.

This could well be the problem - I dont have an on/off switch - just the PSU switch. Anyone with this board know where the power switch pins are located? What do you guys use for this purpose?

Any other input appreciated. Thanks guys for all of your suggestions.
xbudahx

Activity: 378
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 12:31:56 AM

This is your system header, look in the manual for which pins are for your power switch.

I use a power switch bought from amazon but I believe you can short the jumpers to jumpstart the pc using a wire or screwdriver. I'd google it before you do anything though.

neflihim

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 04:02:27 AM

You get this up and running yet?  If you check the manual or online you can find what 2 pins are the power switch pins.  You can short them together really quick by touching them with something metal.  You can buy switches though at microcenter or online. 
cell101

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 04:08:00 AM

Pull a switch out of an old computer case

http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/164/226/351/351226164_465.jpg
alphacenturion (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 10:54:38 AM

Thanks guys I think this is definitely the issue - I'll be trying it today after work - damn day job! Will update with results.

Cheers
alphacenturion (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 09:06:13 PM

Hi guys - thanks to your help this muppet has managed to turn on his rig, however now Ive run into another problem!

All GPU fans, CPU fan, DVD drive and keyboard are running but my monitor says "In Power Save Mode Press Computer power button or any key on keyboard or move mouse" and it seems the MOBO doesnt want to boot.

Ive tried removing a gpu thinking that it might be a power issue (all gpu's are on powered usb risers plugged into the psu btw) but no joy. I used the jumper on the cmos no joy and I tried just on stick of ram no joy.

The monitor is an ancient Dell one and is plugged into the Dsub port as shown in the picture at the bottom. Do I need a new cable to plug it into one of the gpus?

Another thing perhaps worth mentioning is that I have the gpus plugged into pci-e slots 3, 4, 5 and 6. Wouldn't have thought that would matter though?

Man - I just want to start mining! Software I can do - this hardware stuff is doing my brain in!

Anyway thanks for your help!
QNX

Activity: 58

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 09:18:33 PM

Did you plug the molex for the pcie? And do you have another PSU for test? For mobo + one gpu
alphacenturion (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 09:47:41 PM

Molex is plugged in on all gpus and connected to the psu. I dont have another psu to try. I think I may have done the clear cmos wrong - I need to power on with the jumper on clear right? I didnt power it on like this.

No beeps from the mobo either.

I am using Kingston HyperX DDR3 (2x4gb) with this board - they should work right?
alphacenturion (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 10:34:19 PM

Success - in a way - I retried unplugging all GPUs and removed their connections to the PSU. Rig now boots and I am attmpting to install Win 8.1, I have some issues with the SSD not being a valid boot device but should be able to overcome those.

Once Im in should I run the MSI driver disc and attempt to install the cards one by one?
alphacenturion (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 12:27:09 PM

Ok, sorry to bother you guys again.

Windows 8.1 installed and booting up just fine without any GPUs connected.

As soon as I connect a GPU it wont boot and says its in Power Save mode on the monitor?

I have powered usb risers that Im connecting directly to the pci-e cables to the PSU with the USB circuit board obviously connecting the mobo PCI-E slots. Am I missing something here? Do I need to plug the MSI molex connector into the actual cards? Right now Im using the molex attached to the USB pci-e riser to connect to PSU cables?

Any ideas?

Once again apologies.
neflihim

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 01:53:28 PM

Is your monitor plugged into the card or the board?  The board video could be disabled when a card is plugged in.  

I have powered usb risers that Im connecting directly to the pci-e cables to the PSU with the USB circuit board obviously connecting the mobo PCI-E slots. Am I missing something here? Do I need to plug the MSI molex connector into the actual cards? Right now Im using the molex attached to the USB pci-e riser to connect to PSU cables?

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you are doing here.  

You are plugging the PCI-e connectors from the PSU directly into the cards correct?  Then using a molex from the PSU to power the riser cable with the connection on the riser board?  You need both.  Should be a 8 pin and 6 pin connection on the card that needs to come directly from PSU, and then a 4 pin molex on the roser board that comes from PSU.
alphacenturion (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 03:20:34 PM

Is your monitor plugged into the card or the board?  The board video could be disabled when a card is plugged in.

It's plugged into the board - I guess this is disabling the board video and is the problem - is there a work around?

You are plugging the PCI-e connectors from the PSU directly into the cards correct?  Then using a molex from the PSU to power the riser cable with the connection on the riser board?  You need both.  Should be a 8 pin and 6 pin connection on the card that needs to come directly from PSU, and then a 4 pin molex on the roser board that comes from PSU.

This is what I've done yes.
neflihim

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 03:34:20 PM

Is your monitor plugged into the card or the board?  The board video could be disabled when a card is plugged in.

It's plugged into the board - I guess this is disabling the board video and is the problem - is there a work around?

Can you plug directly into a card?  You said you had an old monitor, what kind of connection does it have?  VGA?  Can you get a VGA to DVI adapter anywhere?
alphacenturion (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 03:38:38 PM

I'll get hold of one - does it matter which card it plugs into? The monitor is so old it only has VGA output.
neflihim

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 03:41:01 PM

For some reason my monitor will only work with the card in the second card slot on my board.  I think it might have to do with the slot being the first full 16x slot on the board though.  I would just boot the computer with it plugged into one, and then switch it out with the pc still running to see which one gets detected. 
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: