Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:19:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could the Bitcoin difficulty go down?  (Read 8407 times)
desertfox470 (OP)

Activity: 542
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 01:36:03 AM

I truthfully think it will keep going up. I don't remeber when it went down since I started mining last summer. Hopefully it would go down, but it's still not profitable for me to mine  Embarrassed
Chemistry1988
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:02:17 AM

Theoretically, yes Smiley
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:59:09 AM

It will some day. Just not sure when. Perhaps once the market is over saturated and the price can't sustain miners to keep their operation financial able to keep running.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:58:00 AM

It might have a small blip downward when people turn off the original BFLs/Avalons/ASICMiners - but remember these units put out measly amounts compared to the new beasts.  You turn off 60 SC Singles for every Cointerra rig and you're even.

The only real way to see a drop is maybe a severe price crash or a network issue where many big pools get DDOS or providers go down.

Or my favorite - massive solar ejection wipes all crypto off the map.
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:09:58 PM

If price stays a $600-700 for another 6 months, what are you projections for hashrate/difficulty?
Current upwards almost vertical line is unsustainable if price doesn't catch up.
iglasses
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 10:48:14 PM

If price stays a $600-700 for another 6 months, what are you projections for hashrate/difficulty?
Current upwards almost vertical line is unsustainable if price doesn't catch up.

Once again you are failing to take into consideration that miners have been bought and paid for beyond this point.  When someone gets the miner that they paid thousands of dollars for months and months ago they are turning it on regardless of what the btc to usd price is that day.

I only have a signature because I'm allowed.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 10:54:22 PM

If diddicult will go down a lot Wink miners will be so so happy Cheesy because .. it will go up soon for sure.
DrG
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 07:38:43 AM

The only reason is went down with GPUs was because GPUs had an option of doing something other than mining.  As far as I can tell SHA256 are going to be mining coins or going bust.  The only time they would go offline is if they die or if the owner thinks electricity is too high - in which case he sells them to somebody with cheap electricity (assuming shipping is worth it).

Don't expect difficulty to go down, ever.
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 10:10:33 AM

Once again you are failing to take into consideration that miners have been bought and paid for beyond this point.  When someone gets the miner that they paid thousands of dollars for months and months ago they are turning it on regardless of what the btc to usd price is that day.

But what about 1) electricity cost, if daily bitcoin rewards coming from mining = $21->$20->$19->$18->$17 due to growing difficulty, and electricity is constant $20/day, that's losing money at some point, no matter that the hardware is fully paid for.
2) new miners will stop ordering new hardware, since the price is not catching up and profitability is close to zero after electricity or even negative.

I am not saying everyone will stop mining, but hashrate increased 10x over just 3-4 months, it can't go like that forever unless the price catches up, just laws of economics. It can only grow till it's at least marginally profitable. Just like it did go down in the past, in can go down again, before it can go up again when the price has caught up.

6 months of current level of bitcoin price can make a lot of miners re-think if they should temporarily suspend operations or keep losing money.
AndrewGucci

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 01:17:02 PM

But what about 1) electricity cost, if daily bitcoin rewards coming from mining = $21->$20->$19->$18->$17 due to growing difficulty, and electricity is constant $20/day, that's losing money at some point, no matter that the hardware is fully paid for.
2) new miners will stop ordering new hardware, since the price is not catching up and profitability is close to zero after electricity or even negative.

I am not saying everyone will stop mining, but hashrate increased 10x over just 3-4 months, it can't go like that forever unless the price catches up, just laws of economics. It can only grow till it's at least marginally profitable. Just like it did go down in the past, in can go down again, before it can go up again when the price has caught up.

6 months of current level of bitcoin price can make a lot of miners re-think if they should temporarily suspend operations or keep losing money.

Good point actualy.
DrG
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 01:30:25 PM

As it is currently, mining income easily exceeds electricity costs.  See my post above.  When the electricity costs exceed revenue the person will sell the miner to somebody who has cheaper power or will take the miners offline.  But those would be 1st gen ASICs which are becoming increasingly insignificant to the total power.

ASICs were made for Bitcoin.  The only time they stop mining is when Bitcoin dies or the miner dies.
Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 07:11:17 PM

It will never go down unless Bitcoin crashes.
ajw7989
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 12:31:19 AM

I doubt it will go down but it will definitely slow down in terms of increases as we can see recently no more 25% plus increases FOR NOW
roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 12:46:16 AM

I doubt it will go down but it will definitely slow down in terms of increases as we can see recently no more 25% plus increases FOR NOW

indeed.

Just see alltime diff charts - you can clearly see how this is working .
ssbn506

Activity: 48

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 12:56:04 PM

There is another situation where the difficulty could go down. You se it all the time in altcoins like litecoin. If another SHA256 coin we to be more profitable to mine people would point their miner to that coin reducing BTC difficulty. But I don't se any SHA256 coins even remotely close to BTC. Most alts are script to try and avoid the arms race we se in BTC now. lots of competition in scripts no competition in SHA256.
beegatewood

Activity: 297

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 04:29:47 PM

yes but never...

ssbn506

Activity: 48

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 11:50:43 PM

yes but never...

Good thing it didn't say that.
roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 12:04:55 AM

yes but never...

yes but never will??

It will probably never go down - but it might stuck for a moment and stops growth for a while...

when price will hit 100$ Smiley
Zickafa

Activity: 112
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 07:32:53 PM

It's unlikely that it will go down soon but no one knows what will happen in far away future
roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 10:10:14 PM

It's unlikely that it will go down soon but no one knows what will happen in far away future

it would not go down. It can stay for a while at it's value. But it will not go down.

Check difficulty charts, and see that it is not Smiley going down from a loooooooooong time Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: