Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:18:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Jed McCaleb's Exit from Ripple Labs: The Plot Thickens  (Read 9941 times)
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 11:16:13 PM

More like the plot sickens.

eDonkey? Yeah, that's been hyped to hell and back with underwhelming results, and sadly, was one of Jed's better projects. MtGox was awful when Jed was on board....and Ripple? No thanks, Jed. Ripple actually may do better without him. Let's hope Jed's next project doesn't disappoint like so many others.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 04:27:35 AM

don't forget Jed's laptop was the one that got hacked revealing the admin pwd leading to the mtgox plunge to $0.001 over a period of about 15 min back in June 2011.

i tried to scrape up the video of that plunge but no success.  i remember being right there when it happened.  one of the most dramatic things i've ever seen realtime.

I watched that live too. I had only started really diving into bitcoin a few weeks prior; didn't own any yet. I recall when the price quickly rebounded to ~$17 and held after that, I was sufficiently impressed with bitcoin's resiliency to buy a little.

And then promptly ground down to $1.95 by November. Those were Bitcoin's darkest times.

Yes indeed. Down 90%+ on my first purchases. It was really annoying how so many people failed to see the long-term dynamic... (almost like looking at the spec forum right now...heh).

History does tend to go in repeating cycles.
Does that mean the next BTC low will be below $120....? Perhaps not this time.

Sydboy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 04:18:31 PM

so how long before you all jump on the next <insert 3 letter>-coin here ?
tokeweed (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:30:52 PM

thanks for moving.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
tinyfox266

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 02:08:41 PM

Jed McCaleb, the creator of E-Donkey and the founder of one of the largest Bitcoin exchanges, Mt.Gox, dropped out of Ripple Labs (a company that he is also a co-founder) to 'spend his time looking into new things: man-made surf parks and artificial intelligence'. As was written in an article from Wired:  http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/09/jed_mccaleb/

But a video recently uploaded in YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ2DCKLHaQs&t=461) says otherwise. In the video, he mentioned that he left the company due to 'disagreements with someone brought on to be CEO'.  

So which is it really?  Maybe we will hear Jed McCaleb's side of the story in full in the near future.

mark
PereguineBerty

Activity: 109
Merit: 35

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 06:57:02 PM

Assuming Bitcoin wasn't created by a group, I believe Jed McCaleb is the most likely single suspect for being the creator of Bitcoin - that's if the Satoshi that was exposed in the news a while back isn't the real Satoshi.

This guy''s a talented programmer who knows his stuff about peer-to-peer networks. He set up the first Bitcoin exchange (MtGox) then sold it when it wasn't "technically interesting" any more and moved on to create Ripple, which has the potential to be bigger than Bitcoin.

Makes me wonder what else he's got up his sleeve.
foaman

Activity: 274
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:40:15 PM

edonkey was groundbreaking software in its day.  that was back before Napster.  I learned how to pick locks using a document I found on edonkey.  I had no idea Jed was the same guy.
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:36:32 PM

Ripple Labs has just unveiled the brand new version of its charting application "Ripple Charts" which you can see here:

http://www.ripplecharts.com/#/

They've got a really amazing team of people working on the public facing components of the payment network. Personally, I have learned a great deal and I have nothing but positive experiences with everyone in the company. They are a great group of folks and a lot of fun to work with!

Unfortunately, like everything Ripple...
This only works 50% of the time (it was down 2 hours ago)...
Congratulations, after > 1 year Ripple Charts continues to work intermittently.

And what the numbers REALLY mean... no context = who knows? 
There always been nothing but opacity.

I doubt that anyone has made a dime on the Ripple network...
Except for the "great group of folks" known as the "Principals". 

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 10:41:46 PM

Fortunately like everything Ripple the code is Open Source and you can just launch your own instance if the public ones are down or overloaded...

https://github.com/ripple

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:31:44 PM

don't forget Jed's laptop was the one that got hacked revealing the admin pwd leading to the mtgox plunge to $0.001 over a period of about 15 min back in June 2011.

i tried to scrape up the video of that plunge but no success.  i remember being right there when it happened.  one of the most dramatic things i've ever seen realtime.

The video is on YouTube channel "TheBitcoinChannel".

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

klintay
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2014, 02:00:31 AM

hero worship aside...the guy is acting like a dick...he destroyed the ripple price by about 60% with his announcement of selling 118% of ripple coins in existence...
El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:04:33 AM

LOL I always knew ripple was a scam.

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:12:18 AM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Ripple/comments/26ccz3/ripple_board_member_resigns/

Hey ya'll. Jesse from Kraken here.
Today I have submitted my resignation from the Board of Ripple Labs. While I care about the people who work there and I wish the company the best, I cannot personally continue to support the business.

I believe that the technology and the protocol hold great promise, and have since the beginning, which is why I was the company’s first investor. Since Jed's departure, the management of the company has taken a different direction. Sadly, the vision Jed and I had for the project in the early days has been lost. I’m no longer confident in the management nor the company’s ability to recover from the founders’ perplexing allocation to themselves of 20% of the XRP, which I had hoped until recently would be returned. Prior to Jed's departure from Ripple, I had asked the founders to return their XRP to the company. Jed agreed but Chris declined—leaving a stalemate. This afternoon, I revisited the allocation discussion with the pair and again, where Jed was open, Chris was hostile.

As an investor, of course, I hope that Ripple Labs will overcome its hurdles and prove my lack of confidence misplaced. Unfortunately, unlike the founders, I don’t have swathes of XRP to dump if I don't think it's working out.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:25:55 AM

hero worship aside...the guy is acting like a dick...he destroyed the ripple price by about 60% with his announcement of selling 118% of ripple coins in existence...

He could've sold them first without telling you.
klintay
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2014, 04:26:37 AM

He could've sold them first without telling you.

doesn't really make much difference if he did or did not to be honest...the price is crashing now and it will crash again when he finally unloads all (if he does it as an open sale on the market).

He also could have locked up the ripple indefinitely and put an end to the controversy of this 20% holdings BS.

However it seems like CL doesn't want to let his 32 million usd go...

The question is...will Jed and Chris come to an agreement and stop this epic dump from happening
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 04:54:58 AM

To all the Ripple pumpers of the last few years, this price crash is EXACTLY what many of us warned of when the founders got around to dumping their XRP. This is precisely the fallacy of a premine.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 05:01:16 AM

To all the Ripple pumpers of the last few years, this price crash is EXACTLY what many of us warned of when the founders got around to dumping their XRP. This is precisely the fallacy of a premine.

More the fact in cryptos most, across the board, seem to be very ignorant of how big a number a billion really is.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 06:56:34 AM

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 07:14:59 AM

Ripple Labs has just unveiled the brand new version of its charting application "Ripple Charts" which you can see here:

http://www.ripplecharts.com/#/

They've got a really amazing team of people working on the public facing components of the payment network. Personally, I have learned a great deal and I have nothing but positive experiences with everyone in the company. They are a great group of folks and a lot of fun to work with!

You have been awfully quiet on this forum.

But here is more info for the kiddies that proved what I suspected would happen all along even way back a year ago when you called me a troll for calling ripple a scam....now look...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Ripple/comments/26ccz3/ripple_board_member_resigns/
Hey ya'll. Jesse from Kraken here.
Today I have submitted my resignation from the Board of Ripple Labs. While I care about the people who work there and I wish the company the best, I cannot personally continue to support the business.
I believe that the technology and the protocol hold great promise, and have since the beginning, which is why I was the company’s first investor. Since Jed's departure, the management of the company has taken a different direction. Sadly, the vision Jed and I had for the project in the early days has been lost. I’m no longer confident in the management nor the company’s ability to recover from the founders’ perplexing allocation to themselves of 20% of the XRP, which I had hoped until recently would be returned. Prior to Jed's departure from Ripple, I had asked the founders to return their XRP to the company. Jed agreed but Chris declined—leaving a stalemate. This afternoon, I revisited the allocation discussion with the pair and again, where Jed was open, Chris was hostile.
As an investor, of course, I hope that Ripple Labs will overcome its hurdles and prove my lack of confidence misplaced. Unfortunately, unlike the founders, I don’t have swathes of XRP to dump if I don't think it's working out.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 11:39:58 AM

Ripple != XRP

If you were speculating on XRP, you were screwed right from the beginning. Seems like some people still did that and they are now ironically getting screwed BIG time by their hero "Jed" who actually was the one who wanted Ripple to be more community credit based than the current direction of becoming SWIFT 2.0... Wink

All this stuff is not why Ripple is cool, it just shows (again) why XRP are a shitty investment.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: