Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:11:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Issues with mining on WiFi  (Read 276 times)
sneedd3 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2018, 09:23:27 PM

Hello everyone,

I have a question about mining using a USB WiFi adapter. Does mining eventually kill the WiFi adaptor? I have been running a GPU mining rig for about 6 months now, and in that time I have had to switch USB adapters twice, and now its looking like a third time. Basically, the adaptor starts being unable to stay connected to the network, and the hardware will randomly disconnect and I will have to reboot the computer to get it to properly recognize again. Has anyone else had similar issues? Thanks for any help!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ccgllc
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 101

Math doesn't care what you believe.

View Profile
July 08, 2018, 09:31:16 PM

Mining over wifi is not recommended - latencies can cause problems.

Mined for a living since 2017.  Dabbled for years before that.
Linux admin since 0.96 kernel and Slackware distributions on (4) floppies...
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2018, 10:03:07 PM

Does mining eventually kill the WiFi adaptor?

Mining - no. Heat - maybe, if you're using a cheap adapter. Windows updates screwing up your WiFi driver is also a possibility.
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 02:08:58 AM

Does mining eventually kill the WiFi adaptor?

How much GPUs plugged in your rig? Which Motherboard are you using? It may be related to PCIe lanes used, how many lanes that still available after all devices connected. It also can be happened causing by system crash (related to lines used and other software crash, such as driver or OS itself)
Suslived

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 03:18:16 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a question about mining using a USB WiFi adapter. Does mining eventually kill the WiFi adaptor? I have been running a GPU mining rig for about 6 months now, and in that time I have had to switch USB adapters twice, and now its looking like a third time. Basically, the adaptor starts being unable to stay connected to the network, and the hardware will randomly disconnect and I will have to reboot the computer to get it to properly recognize again. Has anyone else had similar issues? Thanks for any help!

To chime in, i would also strongly advise against using USB-based WiFI adapters.

These wifi adapters are designed to be used in situations where you have to be mobile and temporarily have to bring with you something portable that can be used in multiple devices. Specifically, they are not designed for sustained use because otherwise a wired connection would have been used. Given this, your portable device will probably burn out and destroy itself before you get back it's ROI. Just get a real WiFi router or a wired connection.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 04:31:22 AM

Using USB connected WiFi adaptors is perfectly fine.

It will depend on which device you are using. As we know USB 3.1 used PCIe lines, So, yes, using this USB wireless adapter will affect our GPUs rig.

However, I do agree that using an Ethernet cable is better! You will have a slower connection speed using wireless and get more stale shares etc.

Cable would be more stable than wireless. If you place the AP near to your device, it may isn't giving much different, if it not, as above said, You'll get a lot of stale shares for sure.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 06:21:23 AM

It's suboptimal but it does work for mining. I put a WiFi adapter on an old Spondoolies SP20 miner and the adapter worked fine without causing an explosion or fire, just some more stale and rejected shares. The adapters don't use much electricity and they shouldn't cause such catastrophic failures unless you buy an adapter that's just absolutely shit. I've also used them on computers without built in WiFi connectors and they ran fine 24/7. Just be aware that latency is a big issue with wireless connections in general, and every millisecond counts in mining. If possible in the future, try to get a wired connection.
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 07:01:52 AM
Merited by leowonderful (1)

I'm a big fan of powerline ethernet adapters now that I've been using them for about a month.  I guess I'm lucky because it all works just fine for me despite the fact I'm jumping across circuits (but in the same circuit breaker box)  I guess some people have had issues going across circuits even in the same circuit box but I'm as separated in my house as I can be from my main wifi router and it all works amazingly well.  Basically I have a rig in my basement and my wifi router is on the 2nd floor.  The wire runs from my basement, into the first floor fuse box (actually daisy chained in a first floor outlet! haha.. all up to spec of course!) and then somehow finds its way through the fuse box into the circuit leading to the 2nd floor wifi router.  PFM I tell you!  PURE FRIGGIN MAGIC!@!   Cool

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
hh4mmm

Activity: 378
Merit: 13

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 07:22:26 AM

Hello everyone,

Most at time it all depends on the capacity and capabilities of your system to have full control of your mining. Go for upgrade of your ram because the complexity at which you are working is more the required programs, in such manner you fixed some issues that going on though I m not into mining but I m a computer and system analysts. I can give you more details on how project most the issues coming and how to overcome it.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 08:34:02 AM

Hello everyone,

Most at time it all depends on the capacity and capabilities of your system to have full control of your mining. Go for upgrade of your ram because the complexity at which you are working is more the required programs, in such manner you fixed some issues that going on though I m not into mining but I m a computer and system analysts. I can give you more details on how project most the issues coming and how to overcome it.

Lol, how on earth upgrading RAM would be an issue with failing USB adapter?

@OP,

try to plug the usb to other slots, there were times that the on board USB might be faulty

and just what others suggested, its truly recommended to use an ethernet connections on mining gears

kissmarx

Activity: 1106
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2018, 02:44:29 AM

Hello everyone,

I agree with you because I have the same issue. That's why I don't recommend using wifi adaptors. It's best if we use the direct lan cables for the miners. It is the most stable connection for mining.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: