Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 03:16:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Greed driving bitcoin...  (Read 1935 times)
inoob (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 12:37:07 AM

Roaming these forums I've noticed a type of "passive-aggressive" greed. Can't go to one post without a member talking about donating to their wallet. Even without them referring to panhandling, there's a ubiquitous panting in every post.

I understand the premise of why we need a currency like Bitcoin. I know! The dollar, in the end, is screwed but there's a vague type of 'pseudo-liberation' attitude disguising this bottomless greed.

Greed is greed. Whether you're a Banker, Politician, CEO, or Bitcoin enthusiast salivating at that pie-in-the sky.

And, if you just happen to be one of the people SINCERE in your efforts for a level playing field? Great! But, there's not many of you.

As for now the Bitcoin logo should say "In Cryptography we Greed!" Angry
Voogru

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 12:39:19 AM

From the guy that predicted a digital currency in 1999.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWsx1X8PV_A

You're welcome.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 12:43:52 AM

Where ever you will find a man you will find greed.

That's how our strange and mysterious world works..

I wish there was no greed - but... seems impossible.

There will be always someone who will want more for himself - less for others.

Sharing.... sometimes comes hard.
inoob (OP)

Activity: 31

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 12:53:25 AM

You're welcome.

Great vid. But, even Milton Friedman's eloquence falls a little short, in the mud of a market correction.

Greed in correlation to market collapses is what I was going to get to, but stopped short and left it as it is, because I know nobody wants to read a blog. Smiley
Axewax

Activity: 15

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 12:58:14 AM

I think it's because bitcoin enables easy and convenient begging.  Before bitcoin you would have to put your paypal and that would be linked to you.

Add to this the anonymity of the internet and you get beggars and panhandlers.  In my opinion, any account that asks other members for donations or payment should have their account deleted and IP banned.   Mods should get on this.
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 01:14:47 AM

I think it's because bitcoin enables easy and convenient begging.  Before bitcoin you would have to put your paypal and that would be linked to you.

Add to this the anonymity of the internet and you get beggars and panhandlers.  In my opinion, any account that asks other members for donations or payment should have their account deleted and IP banned.   Mods should get on this.

What about Bitcoin enables easy and convenient donations?  Should the mods delete posts of people trying to innovate for you that can be supported with mili-BTC? What about a good portion of the actual "panhandlers" having been attracted by a culture of people that donate easily (anti-greedy one could say)?

Nathonas

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Knowledge is Power

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 01:37:01 AM

You're welcome.

Fascinating video, thx for posting. This Milton guy is pretty smart  Wink

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
Axewax

Activity: 15

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 01:53:02 AM

I think it's because bitcoin enables easy and convenient begging.  Before bitcoin you would have to put your paypal and that would be linked to you.

Add to this the anonymity of the internet and you get beggars and panhandlers.  In my opinion, any account that asks other members for donations or payment should have their account deleted and IP banned.   Mods should get on this.

What about Bitcoin enables easy and convenient donations?  Should the mods delete posts of people trying to innovate for you that can be supported with mili-BTC? What about a good portion of the actual "panhandlers" having been attracted by a culture of people that donate easily (anti-greedy one could say)?

If you want to innovate you can do it for free.  If you want donations you can link to your site where people can donate to you.  Adding a btc. Donation address to your sig is just vulgar.

Anyone with a btc address as a sig should be banned.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 4536

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 02:31:03 AM

i think the OP misses the biggest point...

bitcoin is not chocolate, which the sin would be gluttony

bitcoin is not a sex act, in which the sin would be lust.

bitcoin is value(money) so ofcourse everyone wants it, so of course there would be greed.

ask yourself this, if your employer offered you a pay rise and you knew you could meet the conditions, would you decline. no. everyone wants to be able to buy things without wondering where their next paycheque is coming from. everyone knows that being alive is free, but living is not. so ofcourse you will find people wanting money... on a money website.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 02:34:59 AM

Roaming these forums...

This forum had much "better quality" discussions prior to the May/June 2011 Massive Rally. We can never go back, the greedy masses have arrived.
ps. Without some greed BTC would be almost worthless and we would be stuck buying pizzas for 12,345 BTC.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 02:39:52 AM

If you want to innovate you can do it for free.  If you want donations you can link to your site where people can donate to you.  Adding a btc. Donation address to your sig is just vulgar.

Anyone with a btc address as a sig should be banned.

You are commenting about a practice (having the address there, I'm not talking about "begging" in the text of the post) that most of the people here are OK with, even those without an address showing.
You are also calling a lot of respected members "vulgar", please try to be more positive in the future.

Since I helped teach you something, please donate to the address in my sig.  Cheesy

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 02:42:43 AM

GREED is GOOD.

Everybody wants more. Its that desire that pushes humanity forward.

My experience is that those who whine the most about "greed", are usually just lazy.

I'm grumpy!!
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 4536

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 02:48:02 AM

GREED is GOOD.

Everybody wants more. Its that desire that pushes humanity forward.

My experience is that those who whine the most about "greed", are usually just lazy.

those that whine about greed, are usually greedy themselves.. but have a little jealousy added to the mix.. those that dont whine are either already rich beyond their desires, currently in a coma or are living off of other people. thus not needing to make money to live.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
arallmuus
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1416

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 02:50:58 AM

I still remember when i play warcraft i always type greedisgood + number  Cheesy

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Alonzo Ewing
Legendary

Activity: 1040
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 03:34:09 AM

Greed is not good.  Greed is not bad.  Greed is simply there.  It's a trait of human beings. 

Either we shape our societies so that greed has social utility (free enterprise) or we organize such that only those in power and their friends benefit from that greed (command economy).

CoinUO

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 03:34:41 AM

Earth is inherently rich, there are enough resources on earth to build a hundred palaces for every man child and woman on earth and if we run out of resources more will be created, there is nothing but abundance.

More often than not it's the poor who are greedy and subconsciously chose the life of poverty, you cannot eradicate poverty by making the reach aware of it but you can eradicate it by making the poor realize that there is nothing but abundance.

I chose to cling to this truth, put forward elegantly by Wallace D Wattles. If we weren't meant to accumulate wealth then it would be made impossible to accumulate.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 03:44:39 AM

Show me the angels noob ... ?

EchoingUprise

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 04:05:07 AM

I still remember when i play warcraft i always type greedisgood + number  Cheesy

Ohh the memories! Makes me want to play now...
corebob

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 04:05:34 AM

In my experience greed is one of the most fundamental emotions in humans. Maybe the most.
Another experience is that the more you have, the greedier you get.

Despite that, bitcoin opens for a lot of facinating opportunities where greed plays a lesser role.
I mean, regarding greed it can't really get worse than it already is
Nathonas

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Knowledge is Power

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 05:05:06 AM

Don't think this is a problem. Bitcoin is a better currency and prevents governments (which are often corrupt or abusive) from fucking with your money. Bitcoin, or some other cryptocurrency WILL succeed.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: