Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 08:48:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice to Newbies.....from a Newbie!  (Read 1142 times)
j3steven (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 02:49:32 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2014, 03:52:25 PM by j3steven

I started seriously getting into the Bitcoin game just this year and wanted to share my early advice/thoughts for people just getting in. I've had some success so far without getting extremely financially invested, so hopefully someone will pull something useful from this!  As a disclaimer, this is all my personal opinion so if someone thinks I'm right or wrong that is completely understandable Smiley

When I first started getting interested in Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies I read up on as much as I could non-stop.  I suggest just searching ideas you have about BTC in your head on Google and see where it takes you.  That's what landed me on these forums because almost all the Google search results had a cluster of threads and forum posts from Bitcointalk.org.  The best thing I took from all of my researching was that BTCs and Altcoins aren't a get-rich-quick scheme.  Unless the price of coins quadruples tomorrow, you won't make a dreamy large profit overnight.  I'm not sure I can site a piece of information was better than another, but I can definitely say these forums was the best site I found.  Got a question that you think is dumb, who cares, just post it.  Worst thing that will happen is people will ignore you and not respond, and you'll have to go find the answer on your own.  Most likely your question has been already asked so do some searching before posting too.

As for mining Bitcoin specifically, it's about impossible for a newbie to make any profit off this right now unless you are willing to fork over a lot of costs up front to buy or build a good mining rig.  As for cloud mining BTC, it seems too good to be true right now and by using a simple Bitcoin profit calculator I dont see you getting your money back.  

As for faucets, right now they are a waste of time.  If you have the patience to type in all of those captchas all day, and the mindset that you are only getting fractions of a penny & the price of BTC will go to the moon one day, then yes go ahead and use faucets.  I liked them at first because it got me hooked on Bitcoins though, then I pulled out the trusty calculator and stopped.  If my faucet wallet pays me out at every 0.00005500 everyday for 365 days straight, I would make $14.05 per year.  That's without any of the faucet payments decreasing or increasing.

Here is what has worked for me that has started to turn me a small profit:
-I found a site that will pay me small amounts of BTC (very small, but its something) for my posts on here (Bitcointalk.org).  There are minimums and rules, and unfortunately the referring site has stopped its promotion to newcomers, but there are others out there.  Just search on here!
-I have bought some BTCs through Coinbase and since then the price per coin has increased.  Not a lot, but its positive.  I personally believe that the price will be much much higher than what it's been floating at lately, but when that will happen...well I have no clue.  If you don't want to take the risk of forking up $700(ish) for a BTC right now, well buy 0.5 or 0.25.  Coinbase does charge small fees.
-I have mined some Primecoin.  Primecoin is an Altcoin that isn't as popular as BTC or Litecoin (the top 2 coins IMO), but it is easy to mine and can be traded on popular/trustworthy exchanges like BTC-E (www.btc-e.com).  I joined ypool mining pool instead of mining on my own, but I literally use my home and office PCs to do the mining.  Please use a Primecoin Mining Calculator to estimate your potential profit/loss before doing it though, the cost of electricity could outweigh your profits.  Back to the mining, it took me about an hour to research everything I needed and literally 4 minutes to start mining once I downloaded the applications.  The ypool webpage has an easy How To section.  Once I started pooling some Primecoins together, I sent them to my BTC-E account and traded them for Litecoin and Bitcoin.  Again, small profits, but I started doing this with $0 invested, and it's FUN.

In conclusion, I just wanted to share my thoughts.  I'm very positive about Bitcoin and other Altcoins, and I think it can be done by anyone.  It's still early on in my game but I have seen small wins and enough to keep me going.  My plan is to start small and go up step by step.

If you have any questions/comments, feel free to post on here or send me a PM anytime.

Best of luck!!

quarkyplum

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 03:59:00 PM

we need a TLDR summary, but ty for writing to The Newbs
bitbitz

Activity: 163

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 05:02:57 PM

TLDR: Buy bitcoins now, in fractions if they are too expensive for you.
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 05:08:16 PM

1. OP is new to bitcoin world
2. faucets are useless
3. buy bitcoin now
4. mining is fun
j3steven (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 05:15:57 PM

2. faucets are useless
3. buy bitcoin now
4. mining is fun

1....yup Im new, havent searched for it yet but what is TLDR?
2. agreed, useless
3. YES!
4. Tons of fun! 

Sonny

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 05:23:21 PM

2. faucets are useless
3. buy bitcoin now
4. mining is fun

1....yup Im new, havent searched for it yet but what is TLDR?
2. agreed, useless
3. YES!
4. Tons of fun!  

Too long, didn't read  Wink
FYR: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/tldr
epicradness

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 07:02:09 PM

Thanks for the post man!

I love hearing these kind of things, specifically about how people started out. Mining, trading, esp from a small increment perspective.

I REALLY appreciate it. Gives me a little positivity in a crypto world full out doubt.

-Peace!
ajaxmoor
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 07:14:55 PM

If you really want to invest you can buy bitcoin now , price are very good for now and mining doest worth it .
epicradness

Activity: 29

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 07:41:49 PM

Exactly, i think the mining train for btc is waaaaay done with by now. But what OP posted makes a lot of sense. Mining some alt coins to trade for btc/ltc.

i like that strategy.
j3steven (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:37:45 PM

Yeah for what the price is now, I really think there is good value.  Again...I dont suggest going crazy but buy some BTCs within your means if you want.

Glad I could help even share my positive experience so far!

Pooyan

Activity: 13

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 05:07:03 AM

Have you tried trading your primecoins on btc-e for profits? If so, any success?
Noisskal

Activity: 171

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 05:19:20 AM

Read more about alt coin and do trading altcoin at least some profit a day .
j3steven (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 05:22:15 AM

Have you tried trading your primecoins on btc-e for profits? If so, any success?

Ive traded my primecoin for litecoin on BTC-E, but that was just a personal choice, i could have bought bitcoin too.

R0yalAir

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 05:28:01 AM

That's a nice advice j3steven
keep going !

oxfardk

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 05:53:46 AM

It's a quite interesting thoughts.
your plan could be better.

sanjoea

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 06:09:01 AM

Nice plan of work, let us know how you are getting profit

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
j3steven (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 06:09:19 AM

That's a nice advice j3steven
keep going !

Thanks!  Just trying to show other new players its possible, just takes some patience and thinking outside the box a little.  

fayoling

Activity: 882
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 06:16:07 AM

From a newb that just wasted a few hours on faucets and was looking for , what's next?
Thanks for this.

j3steven (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 09:59:57 AM

From a newb that just wasted a few hours on faucets and was looking for , what's next?
Thanks for this.

If you are asking what do  to next after wasting time on faucets, well it depends.  If you have some money available I would buy BTC or LTC, I buy my BTC through Coinbase and transfer it to BTC-E to exchange into LTC.  I personally am going to wait through the day to see what the price does.....obviously its been going down lately so Im just curious how far this dip will go.

If you have a good PC at home to do some mining, try to mine some Primecoin through ypool.  I have a few PCs both at work at home doing this so use a primecoin calculator to make calculate how much youll make.

There is always selling a good on the marketplace for BTC, like an old Xbox or something (I tried this, but didnt work yet).

There are options.  The easiest is straight up buying it low now, but try to be creative.

Sonny

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 06:51:08 AM

Thanks for this.

If you are asking what do  to next after wasting time on faucets, well it depends.  If you have some money available I would buy BTC or LTC, I buy my BTC through Coinbase and transfer it to BTC-E to exchange into LTC.  I personally am going to wait through the day to see what the price does.....obviously its been going down lately so Im just curious how far this dip will go.

If you have a good PC at home to do some mining, try to mine some Primecoin through ypool.  I have a few PCs both at work at home doing this so use a primecoin calculator to make calculate how much youll make.

There is always selling a good on the marketplace for BTC, like an old Xbox or something (I tried this, but didnt work yet).

There are options.  The easiest is straight up buying it low now, but try to be creative.

Pretty much agree with Steven.
Apart from buying bitcoin directly, mining CPU-only coins with your CPU, mining scrypt coins with your GPU, selling goods for bitcoin, you can also try selling services for bitcoin and enter some signature ad program.  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: