Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:44:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Remove the ability for users to lock threads  (Read 1815 times)
FAtlas (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2011, 10:28:13 PM

I think it's dumb that people are able to lock their threads and completely shut down discussion whenever they feel like it.  It kills honest discussion and is being abused by some people.  I don't see any good reason to keep it as an option.

Please do the needful

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 11:13:08 PM

Would this increase the workload of the moderators significantly with people having to ask them to lock their threads?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
FAtlas (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2011, 11:14:32 PM

Would this increase the workload of the moderators significantly with people having to ask them to lock their threads?
Why lock threads at all?  If a post is against the rules then delete/probate, but the conversation should still be available until everyone runs out of things to say.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12864

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 01:30:43 AM

Nothing stops you from continuing to discuss locked topics in a new topic.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 01:33:51 AM

i agree with OP

thread locking should be a priveledge afforded to admins/mods only.
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 01:46:31 AM

i agree with OP

Thread locking should be based on section, in the marketplace it should be encouraged after a transaction is complete or no longer avilable

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 01:48:19 AM

i agree with OP

Thread locking should be based on section, in the marketplace it should be encouraged after a transaction is complete or no longer avilable

true.

what i dislike (and what i think the OP is getting at) is when someone starts a discussion and then when people flame or disagree he takes his ball and goes home and says NO ONE can play.
deslok

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 01:52:04 AM

i agree with OP

true.

what i dislike (and what i think the OP is getting at) is when someone starts a discussion and then when people flame or disagree he takes his ball and goes home and says NO ONE can play.

i think we're all just better off ignoring atlas i can't think of anyone else who does that regularly

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
FAtlas (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 04:30:45 AM

Oh, I totally get that.  It's just that it's very easy for the OP to ignore a new topic, and it creates extra clutter in the forums that could be avoided.  There are certainly ways around the problem at the moment, but I think eliminating the problem entirely is a far better solution.

Don't people have the ability to edit posts and change thread titles, though?  If your item has already sold, or whatever, then you can just edit the thread title to state that.  Locking is a pretty bad solution, IMO.
deslok

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 04:51:56 AM

Oh, I totally get that.  It's just that it's very easy for the OP to ignore a new topic, and it creates extra clutter in the forums that could be avoided.  There are certainly ways around the problem at the moment, but I think eliminating the problem entirely is a far better solution.

Don't people have the ability to edit posts and change thread titles, though?  If your item has already sold, or whatever, then you can just edit the thread title to state that.  Locking is a pretty bad solution, IMO.

I'd prefer it over the editing seeing a thread with the op changed to *removed* makes less sense than it being preserved in a static maner especially for the marketplace where old trades could be used as a refrence when deciding on a price to ask for an item

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4578
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 05:34:02 AM

Personally I rather like it that people can lock their threads.  It helps identify who the people who cannot defend their positions and are thus not worth wasting time over in the future.  (And the fact that it annoys SA goons is kind of amusing.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 05:59:09 AM

A good time to have a thread locked is after it has been dormant for a specified period of time.  If a person wants to revive a topic, then start a new one and link to the previous as a starting point.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12864

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 06:30:54 AM

If someone doesn't like the direction that their topic has taken, they should be able to disassociate themselves from the discussion by locking the thread and letting someone else restart the discussion elsewhere. Locking is also very useful in cases where threads become obsolete.

Didn't you personally UNLOCK a thread that the OP at that time had locked about Bruce Wagner because you felt it was wrong of him to have locked it and wanted people to continue discussing, or am I just dreaming here?

Some people said that, but I certainly didn't unlock it, and as far as I can tell none of the other mods did either.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4578
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 06:37:01 AM

(And the fact that it annoys SA goons is kind of amusing.)

I'm pretty sure the only thing annoying goons is the amount of stupid up in here.

The amount of stupid on this forum?  I think that you've missed the point of SA and/or gotten the terms 'annoy' and 'amuse' mixed up.  Not that I am an authority on SA, but it seems unlikely to me that they would bend over backward to come here just to be annoyed.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
BitMagic

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 04:27:36 PM

If someone doesn't like the direction that their topic has taken, they should be able to disassociate themselves from the discussion by locking the thread and letting someone else restart the discussion elsewhere. Locking is also very useful in cases where threads become obsolete.

Yeah, the first thing that comes to mind when you say this is the poster leaving. I mean, ususally, when someone wants to disassociate themselves, it's because they've made themselves look stupid. Stopping yourself from entering a discussion you no longer like is adult, locking the thread is for children: "lalalalalalalalalala I can't hear anything you're saying!!!".

A agree with the obsolete usage, but that's easy enough for mods. I know many forums out there where locking is not allowed in places where argumentation is high and attitudes are unique; too much pressure to censor in those places.

Please give me your money, because I am a shameless libertarian elite who deserves your money more than you do: 9Hkao8U82WWDp6SQGn4k7ad9gT1LWeL5s3
ama

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 04:34:05 PM

I think it's dumb that people are able to lock their threads and completely shut down discussion whenever they feel like it.  It kills honest discussion and is being abused by some people.  I don't see any good reason to keep it as an option.

Please do the needful

+1  I fully agree with that.  Funny enough there is a guy who locked a thread a couple of days ago and tried to keep discussing the topic with me in PM.  Of course I asked him to stop PMing me, since I would only keep the discussion in public.

FAtlas (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2011, 05:01:08 AM

I feel the need to get the last word on this topic, so that is as follows:

penispenispenispenispenispenispenispenispenispenispenispenispenispenis

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: