Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:54:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Controlling spamming on the forum  (Read 146 times)
Nanagyasi (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 11:46:50 AM
Last edit: July 10, 2018, 11:22:44 PM by Nanagyasi

Spamming the forum is a concern to all, especially those who see this forum mainly as a learning tool.
Surfing through the forum, you would realise that sometimes ranks other than newbies do spam as well. I think this is so because of the lack of restriction with respect to the number of post reply that can be given to a single topic.
When you read through post reply carefully, you would see that most of the replies are similar but with differences in choice of words.

I think restricting the number of post reply to a specific number, say 100, such that after that specific number of reply is reached, no new reply can be given to that topic except for the highly ranked members.
 I don't know how technically possible this may be but if it is and by implementing it, I believe would help to control spamming. What do you also think about this.

Insanerman

Activity: 1162
Merit: 450

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 12:25:47 PM

Surfing through the forum, you would realise that sometimes ranks other than newbies do spam as well.
Most of them are bots, spamming around the forum including meta. I reported many of them yesterday. How did they pass cloudflare?
When you read through post reply carefully, you would see that most of the replies are similar but with differences in choice of words.
It's because of they don't care about the forum. As long as they reach their quota post for the day, they will continue their good works.
I think restricting the number of post reply to a specific number, say 100, such that after that specific number of reply is reached, no new reply can be given to that topic except for the highly ranked members.
 I don't know how technically possible this may be but if it is and by implementing it, I believe would help to control spamming. What do you also think about this.
What will happen to those low-rank members who are serious in posting about cryptocurrency? I think this system will take away their freedom of speech, I don't think racing for a slot to post is not appropriate. There are so many threads in this forum.
nakamura12

Activity: 2282
Merit: 669

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 01:38:30 PM

Evem there's a restriction in post numbers a person can do but there are lots of account in the forum. Even though the post number restriction in numbers i'm sure that the forum may be flooded again with the repmies of the bots.
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 01:45:39 PM

How did they pass cloudflare?

You might want to read these...
1. How do they bypass cloudfare?

"We also block threats and limit abusive bots and crawlers from wasting your bandwidth and server resources.

Looking at this image and the quoted contents - I do not think cloudfare do much against bots. They only put some limits. May be these bots are designed having these limits in mind.

I think posting bots are not deemed abusive by cloudflare, unless it's posting every second
and posting every second won't be possible because of the forum's limit on posting
so all cloudflare can do is protecting forum from DDoS and limiting user connected from blacklisted IP

the possible way to fight against bots, dislikes by most users, is by adding captcha for posting
but bots would also implement captcha decoder bots Lips sealed
I'm afraid there's no silver bullet in the fight against bots and spammers

and this...
As someone who works for a gambling site with a faucet, I can tell you that Cloudflare provides no protection against botnets whatsoever. The evil IP system and captcha won't help either as these guys have access to massive pools of IP addresses and captcha solvers.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 1223

Call your grandparents and tell them you love them

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2018, 01:46:22 PM

Scamming the forum is a concern to all, especially those who see this forum mainly as a learning tool.
You mean "Spamming"??  Roll Eyes

Surfing through the forum, you would realise that sometimes ranks other than newbies do spam as well. I think this is so because of the lack of restriction with respect to the number of post reply that can be given to a single topic.
Those may be alt account of same people. It would be better if you actually post these links and the accounts neatly in a thread. Just making up new threads about every problem will not work.

And what will be criteria of this "highly ranked member"? Everything posted in subjective to the viewer - what is spam in one's eyes may not be so to another person.

Optimism is a good thing but optimism without feasibility is worthless. Tongue

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
matthewoz101

Activity: 308
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 08:10:15 PM

Other ranks, besides newbie accounts, that spam could be because of the merit system.

There's a low incentive not to spam in attempts for merit. People who have wrote high quality posts over and over again that don't receive merit tend to spam. You have more of a chance to spam on the forum, then to write high quality posts and pray to be found by an active meriter.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: