Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:15:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to buy gold and silver.  (Read 4379 times)
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:28:28 AM

Why to buy a gold and a sliver?

better to buy Bitcoin!

I have bitcoins, just looking to diversify a little. I have a few stocks and then some bonds and mutual funds, as well as LTC. I dont have any silver or gold so it interests me

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 02:56:19 AM

For a complete newbie. How does one buy and sell physical gold and silver? What are the best practices?

Did you end up buying any gold or silver?

It feels like an excellent time to buy some with a medium to long term perspective, the FED will announce in the coming months that it stops tappering and that it will increase QE and Gold price will skyrock

troy112

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:17:48 PM

Go with the bars and rounds. Buy from trusted sources. Get into community. By a large volume for best prices. And if you are in it, buy regularly. Only make decision after studding.
 Best way to sell to your community members other wise to dealers but they'll give you less.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 07:38:33 PM

I know this is a longshot given how wide of a user base is here, but does anyone know of a place that i can walk into and physically buy gold or silver in the ORange County, CAlifornia area?  I'd feel way more comfortable in person, even the the sales person would probably be trying to swindle me anyway. Lol

Just look for pawn shops and store that advertise that they will buy your gold.  If they buy chances are pretty good they will sell.  There's also coin collectible shops, it should be pretty easy to find stores in OC.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
crypto2k

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 08:30:36 PM

I'm looking for a page where I can buy gold and silver with bitcoin - Is there a retailer within the European Union??

I don't like to pay toll just for importing goods to the good old EU.  Shocked

I thought you're poor and homeless? You owe your lawyer $2.5 million.  Undecided
chaff

Activity: 7

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 11:38:07 PM

Check out JM Bullion if you're still looking. They don't accept Bitcoin yet  Sad
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 12:11:19 AM

buy 1kg bars that are sealed to prevent tarnish. if you want to store them or sell them at a reputable place, before selling you will have to recert/retest them.

I was looking at some of the 1kg bars of silver and potentially some of gold after, do you have any recommendations on which ones are better than the others? 

There is a list of companies whose PMs count as highest quality, which is called "good delivery". You can find a list of all good delivery companies at the LBMA website. Those are highest quality PMs that should be accepted anywhere.

Only buy good delivery!

Thanks man, this is more good info that I will definitely use when I go shopping for some metals Smiley
Insomniadreamer

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 07:52:59 AM

There are loads of coin shops where you are at. the most important things to consider when buying is making sure you are getting as close to the spot price as you can and that the silver/gold will sell when you need it to (also that it is real of course...). Silver is silver, but USsilver eagles, Canadian Maples, EU philharmonics, and the panda coins if you want, probably have the best resale value but they have the highest premiums, especially the pandas. 100oz bars can be more convenient for some people and you should get closer to spot with a 100oz bar depending on what it is and where you are buying it. generic silver has lower premiums, the buffalos are not a bad choice. just make sure you know what the price of silver is the exact moment you are in the shop looking to buy. its been going up a bit lately it might cool off for a while but 2-10xx years i think its fair to be pretty bullish on silver/gold. the attitude all over the world would have to drastically shift for gold and silver to go pre-911 levels and just the amount of times the US monetary base has been multiplied by 2008 will have anybody scratching their head as to what will happen over these coming years in all sorts of markets. what usually would take about 10 years for the Monetary base to double, has more than tripled in the last 5 years since 2008. the sheer volume of illegitimate federal reserve notes being pumped into the systems cannot align with anything other than a rising prices of just about everything, including gold and silver, and btc.

good luck  Cheesy
lewisg

Activity: 281

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 08:17:21 AM

I buy cheap gold and silver at pawn shops.

Dr Bloggood

Activity: 336

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 02:20:30 PM

buy 1kg bars that are sealed to prevent tarnish. if you want to store them or sell them at a reputable place, before selling you will have to recert/retest them.

I was looking at some of the 1kg bars of silver and potentially some of gold after, do you have any recommendations on which ones are better than the others?  

There is a list of companies whose PMs count as highest quality, which is called "good delivery". You can find a list of all good delivery companies at the LBMA website. Those are highest quality PMs that should be accepted anywhere.

Only buy good delivery!

Thanks man, this is more good info that I will definitely use when I go shopping for some metals Smiley

I took a look at the good delivery list yesterday and have to say I'm a bit confused:

http://www.lbma.org.uk/pages/index.cfm?page_id=147&title=good_delivery_lists

I didn't find the Austrian Mint on the list (produces the Philharmonic and should definitely be on there), but I found a producer that I know is not first class (Degussa). You should get some more info on all of this  - and let me know if you do!

EDIT: Just looked at it again, could it be the Austrian Mint is not in it because listed are only companies with bars of at least 400 ounces (=12kg, gold) and 1000 ounces (=30kg, silver)? See "Good Delivery Rules".
Dr Bloggood

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 02:26:20 PM

just the amount of times the US monetary base has been multiplied by 2008 will have anybody scratching their head as to what will happen over these coming years in all sorts of markets. what usually would take about 10 years for the Monetary base to double, has more than tripled in the last 5 years since 2008. the sheer volume of illegitimate federal reserve notes being pumped into the systems cannot align with anything other than a rising prices of just about everything, including gold and silver, and btc.

For gold/silver comparison purposes, you would have to take the overall world money creation though.

To my knowledge, about $15 trillion dollars worth of money have been created worldwide since 2008 or so. Do you have a different numbers (and a link or source)?

Overall, I totally agree with you, just interested in learning more about this topic. I googled it and it was hard to find any info.
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 07:29:55 PM

Check out JM Bullion if you're still looking. They don't accept Bitcoin yet  Sad

This is where I have been looking actually.  Have you had good experiences with them?  Any recommendations on which gold or silver bars to purchase from them?   There are so many different choices...
jcoin200

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 07:47:21 PM

This is where I have been looking actually.  Have you had good experiences with them?  Any recommendations on which gold or silver bars to purchase from them?   There are so many different choices...

I have ordered from them.  I paid with a check (takes about 3 weeks to get your order) but you get a better price than when you use a card.

I would say look at buying American Gold/Silver Eagles or Canadian Gold/Silver Maple Leafs in whatever size you want.  They are the easiest to move, and are always going to stay at a higher premium over spot than generic rounds.

If you want others (bars, generic rounds) you can get them a little closer to spot, but I would recommend keeping your collection to 50% or more of US/Canadian minted gold/silver. 
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 09:16:15 PM

I have ordered from them.  I paid with a check (takes about 3 weeks to get your order) but you get a better price than when you use a card.

I would say look at buying American Gold/Silver Eagles or Canadian Gold/Silver Maple Leafs in whatever size you want.  They are the easiest to move, and are always going to stay at a higher premium over spot than generic rounds.

If you want others (bars, generic rounds) you can get them a little closer to spot, but I would recommend keeping your collection to 50% or more of US/Canadian minted gold/silver. 

Oh really?   I was specifically looking at buying the 1kg bars..like the OPM metals silver 1kg bar, and potentially a 1kg bar of gold in the future...would you not recommend that one?
JohanM

Activity: 137
Merit: 35

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 09:38:03 PM

I bought some Krugers with Bitcoins on https://zilvergoudwinkel.nl/
They're located in Holland.
Quick delivery, no problems.
evansearle42

Activity: 366

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:28:39 AM

Buy Bitcoin Litecoin and Dogecoins. thats like Gold, Silver and Bronze.
Insomniadreamer

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 03:49:07 AM

just the amount of times the US monetary base has been multiplied by 2008 will have anybody scratching their head as to what will happen over these coming years in all sorts of markets. what usually would take about 10 years for the Monetary base to double, has more than tripled in the last 5 years since 2008. the sheer volume of illegitimate federal reserve notes being pumped into the systems cannot align with anything other than a rising prices of just about everything, including gold and silver, and btc.

For gold/silver comparison purposes, you would have to take the overall world money creation though.

To my knowledge, about $15 trillion dollars worth of money have been created worldwide since 2008 or so. Do you have a different numbers (and a link or source)?

Overall, I totally agree with you, just interested in learning more about this topic. I googled it and it was hard to find any info.

I guess you're right about that for comparison purposes you would have to consider all fiat printing, not just US fed notes but euros and yen and renminbi and rupee etc... the numbers i used are all fairly rough and are just from my memory of sources ive read or seen places. Though i found some pretty interesting numbers by googling all the different fiat currencies Monetary base chart (tradingeconomics . com has a lot of info) for the last 10 years. there are charts for other national currencies as well. If you looked at all those carefully enough you could figure out more precisely how much money has been created lately. 15 trillion definitely sounds feasible. I dont know if all that wealth creation necessarily correlates to higher silver and gold prices though. I think its a correlation that could probably be proved or disproved pretty well either way with a lot of analyzation.
Dr Bloggood

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:55:26 PM

I guess you're right about that for comparison purposes you would have to consider all fiat printing, not just US fed notes but euros and yen and renminbi and rupee etc... the numbers i used are all fairly rough and are just from my memory of sources ive read or seen places. Though i found some pretty interesting numbers by googling all the different fiat currencies Monetary base chart (tradingeconomics . com has a lot of info) for the last 10 years. there are charts for other national currencies as well. If you looked at all those carefully enough you could figure out more precisely how much money has been created lately. 15 trillion definitely sounds feasible. I dont know if all that wealth creation necessarily correlates to higher silver and gold prices though. I think its a correlation that could probably be proved or disproved pretty well either way with a lot of analyzation.

Interesting website, thanks, but a bit hard to read! How would you look up money creation on there?

I just know China prints $425 billion per month:

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2014/02/Jan%20China%20TSF%20vs%20Fed%20BOJ.jpg

Long term, I would say the PM prices would have to adopt, but of course, what has always been keeping them back is that incredible amount of manipulation. Also, the money is still with the banks, it needs to go out into circulation. But I think a lot of this will happen and PM prices will skyrocket.
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:25:35 PM

I'm looking for a page where I can buy gold and silver with bitcoin - Is there a retailer within the European Union??

I thought you're poor and homeless? You owe your lawyer $2.5 million.  Undecided

I accept BTC for gold and silver: bitcoincommodities.com
Try me out, I hear I'm doing an okay job so far.
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:55:04 PM

I accept BTC for gold and silver: bitcoincommodities.com
Try me out, I hear I'm doing an okay job so far.

Where are you located?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: